[POLL] Your Favorite Function? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[POLL] Your Favorite Function?

Which is your favorite cognitive function?

• Si

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Se

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Ni

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Ne

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Fi

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Fe

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Ti

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Te

• Can't Decide/Don't Know/Other

• Total voters
You are a lying liar that lies!

You naturally prefer some functions over others right?
I sense there is favoritism within you; you just don't want to admit it!
:m177:
For whatever reason, there is a natural preference. I don't dislike the thinking functions that I don't prefer, I don't even know why it is that I naturally prefer some functions over others. I am what I am, and it happens to be an INFP or INFJ.. (still not even sure which one..)

No offense to anyone, but I think it's ignorant to dislike using any sort of cognitive function--each has it's merits and purposes and to develop them would be to one's advantage..

Last edited:
what would an example of this be, outa curiosity?

Say when you are working on a project (usually art, sometimes sport) and you are completely immersed in the moment (Se), constantly refining and evaluating your work as you go (Fi) while coming up out of the blue ("Aha!" moments) with innovations or new perspectives to add to your work (Ni).

Being "in the zone".

Last edited:
I voted Si. I sense that I will be repping it alone here...

Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current situation with similar ones. The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences, and we register a similarity or a difference—for example, noticing that some food doesn’t taste the same or is saltier than it usually is. Introverted Sensing is also operating when we see someone who reminds us of someone else. Sometimes a feeling associated with the recalled image comes into our awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, our body responds as if reliving the experience. The process also involves reviewing the past to draw on the lessons of history, hindsight, and experience. With introverted Sensing, there is often great attention to detail and getting a clear picture of goals and objectives and what is to happen. There can be a oneness with ageless customs that help sustain civilization and culture and protect what is known and long-lasting, even while what is reliable changes.

Source: CognitiveProcesses.com

Edit: Oh, yeah, explain why I like it. This might not be explained well, but I'll try. I think my Si really complements both my Fi and Ne and also helps to balance them out at times. Si keeps me from doing things I might otherwise do on impulse because of Fi; I can remember what the consequences were last time I reacted a certain way. Combined with Fi, it seems, in my opinion, to make for extremely vivid memories. Si helps balance out my Ne, I think, similarly to how it grounds my Fi. It just helps bring me back down to earth when I need it. Combined with Ne, I can use Si to make all sorts of connections between things, both literally and metaphorically, I guess, and then create a mental web of my understanding of "the big picture."

And of course Te fits in there, as well. I guess I just think Si is really cool.

(Did I get anything majorly wrong? I'm nothing close to an expert when it comes to cognitive functions, and it's difficult for me to isolate them and see how I use them alone in certain situations.)

Last edited:
No offense to anyone, but I think it's ignorant to dislike using any sort of cognitive function--each has it's merits and purposes and to develop them would be to one's advantage..

To me all of the functions in isolation are pretty vile, it's only when they're used together and tempered against each other that they become something good. I mostly see "unhealthy" types as those that lean way to heavily on one function.

Reactions: acd
For whatever reason, there is a natural preference. I don't dislike the thinking functions that I don't prefer, I don't even know why it is that I naturally prefer some functions over others. I am what I am, and it happens to be an INFP or INFJ.. (still not even sure which one..)

I agree... all of them have their merits and it's in your own best interest to try to develop them all, but we're not doing anything wrong like only eating the parts we like. right? We're big kids, and we eat ALL our vegtables.
We're just being positive and focusing on what we do like :m027:

Now fess up :m129:

Ha. If I was going to lie about this, it would be pointless to do it on a forum. What do I care what you people think? As it happens, Fi is probably the function I use most... and I'm not really all that jazzed about it. I just don't really get the whole having a pet function thing. But I've always been more into holism philosophically..

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoenix Down
acd said:

It's not ignorant. You could argue very easily for the like or dislike of any function. The reason is, not all functions are created equal. As an example, my Ni is way different, then say QP's Ni. Same function, but they behave way different in each of us. You can make sound favorites or disfavorites if you look at the exremes of it. When choosing a favorite function I looked at the best possible case, what it looks like when it is a lovely example of what the function should and can be, then the reverse for a bad function.

...and you know how much I like boxes

Ti, I suppose.

I do love Ni, but I've really come to appreciate the kind of feats that a logical model like Ti can enable Ni to perform that it couldn't before.

Also, I consider it a good shield against Fi. Whenever something in my life tries to pull me towards it, I push towards Ti to make sure it doesn't take root. It keeps me just sane enough to cope with real life. Although it doesn't make me nearly as practical as a small dose of Te would. Oh, well.

Last edited:
I don't see how it's doing anyone any favors though.
What is beneficial about picking apart some cognition and favoriting it over others, so that to some extent.. the others get neglected?

I don't see how it's doing anyone any favors though.
What is beneficial about picking apart some cognition and favoriting it over others, so that to some extent.. the others get neglected?

It's something to talk about, it gives insight to peoples different persectives and how they see and think about the other functions. It's not about doing favors or disfavors, it's about learning and fun.

It's something to talk about, it gives insight to peoples different persectives and how they see and think about the other functions. It's not about doing favors or disfavors, it's about learning and fun.

yep, it's interesting, even though you're right acd that it doesn't really make sense to exalt one function over the others- we all use every function to some extent, depending on the context, they all have their place in life, but it's still interesting to know which are more dominant or favored by people, and which are disfavored- it would give further insight into human behavior.

neposter.jpg

Reactions: Gaze
You know which is more dominant or favored by the test results....

Identifying a personal favorite is incredibly self limiting. And just doesn't make any sense to me.
Gah
I keep repeating myself.
::gives up raining on your parade::

Ti, I suppose.

I do love Ni, but I've really come to appreciate the kind of feats that a logical model like Ti can enable Ni to perform that it couldn't before.

Also, I consider it a good shield against Fi. Whenever something in my life tries to pull me towards it, I push towards Ti to make sure it doesn't take root. It keeps me just sane enough to cope with real life. Although it doesn't make me nearly as practical as a small dose of Te would. Oh, well.

Except when Ti goes into overdrive.... and you forget to eat

You know which is more dominant or favored by the test results....

individually sure but not as a collective, and there's a difference between what you prefer outright and what a test gives you - one is far more subjective than the other, and that could mean something

Identifying a personal favorite is incredibly self limiting. And just doesn't make any sense to me.
Gah
I keep repeating myself.
::gives up raining on your parade::
not necessarily. if everyone prefers Ni for example, maybe we could devise a way to relate that function to the other, lesser used functions, and help people become more balanced that way. i think there's a lot of potential in these kinds of threads to improve oneself based on the (biased) reflections of others.

Go Fe!

Ni.
Secondly would be Ne. (then what would Ni + Ne be? UNLIMITED IDEAS? ...or brainsploding)

Then Ti, and good Fi.

I voted Si. I sense that I will be repping it alone here...

Edit: Oh, yeah, explain why I like it. This might not be explained well, but I'll try. I think my Si really complements both my Fi and Ne and also helps to balance them out at times. Si keeps me from doing things I might otherwise do on impulse because of Fi; I can remember what the consequences were last time I reacted a certain way. Combined with Fi, it seems, in my opinion, to make for extremely vivid memories. Si helps balance out my Ne, I think, similarly to how it grounds my Fi. It just helps bring me back down to earth when I need it. Combined with Ne, I can use Si to make all sorts of connections between things, both literally and metaphorically, I guess, and then create a mental web of my understanding of "the big picture."

And of course Te fits in there, as well. I guess I just think Si is really cool.

(Did I get anything majorly wrong? I'm nothing close to an expert when it comes to cognitive functions, and it's difficult for me to isolate them and see how I use them alone in certain situations.)
You're not alone, hun! I love my Si. I rarely forget anything. Of course you develop the functions you need in life which is likely why I have Si because memory is something I have always needed. It comes in quite handy. Not only can I remember pieces of music I learned 10 years ago, remember dates and times, as well as smells and sounds of certain things. It nifty. It also comes in handy knowing when people have been in my things. My family knows not to snoop unless they can put things back exactly where they were.

Ti came in a close second, by the way.

I think it would be a great and efficacious thing to do if one was not willing to accept oneself as one is. The integral mind flows freely, whatever its nature - the dissociative mind that accepts parts but rejects/denies/sublimates others, not so much. The purposeful neglect of aspects of cognition is perhaps a means by which the ego puts blinders on the Self such that one is denied the possibility of undivided awareness and witness of one's person. It is the answering to Fear, as parts of one's person remain in shadow, divided and dissociated from the Self.

Well, that's not really beneficial, except as viewed from a perspective of pathology.

cheers,
Ian

Reactions: acd