Poll for Atheists | INFJ Forum

Poll for Atheists

Is the existence of a Necessary/Maximally Great/Greatest Conceivable Being possible?

• The existence of such a being is possible.

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • The existence of such a being is impossible.

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

Jack

Community Member
Mar 25, 2010
MBTI
ENTP
Is the existence of a Necessary/Maximally Great/Greatest Conceivable Being/God possible?

Ok this one is a little more streamlined.

Also... never mind, I'll tell you later. :p

Last edited:
Not to kill this one, but who would argue for the impossibility of such a being?

being "necessary" kinda negates the omnipotence thing .

from an atheist here... I think that if you define it as "necessary" in the first place, it's kind of a contradiction to say it's impossible. That is if by "necessary" you mean that it necessarily exists. So I would disagree with the person who defines it as "necessary".

But, maybe the answer you're looking for is whether I think it's possible that the flying spaghetti monster exists? Yes, I think it's possible that tooth fairies, flying spaghetti monsters, or anything exists, but I don't stay up at night thinking about it;)

fanatical atheists (is that an oxymoron?)

Heh, they do exist, but I doubt we'd find them here.

Such people, I think, do tend to believe that anything not scientific (e.g. MBTI) or not scientifically verifiable is not worth considering. This is in opposition to non-fanatical atheists, who I think show no strong correlation towards such a disposition.

Do I think it's impossible? No. Do I think it's highly unlikely? Yes.

As for the necessary part, there's a quote for that: "What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn't prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary." - Stephen W. Hawking

i think it's possible but i don't care about its possibility. i think that there are too many people worldwide who did nothing to deserve the excruciating tortures of their meaninglessly intolerable lives for the "purpose" of an omniscient being to matter to me.

Not only do i think it's possible. I think it's fairly likely that a creator of some kind exists.

However i think man made notions of god are way off the mark.

Even if a god of some kind exists it doesn't mean there will an afterlife or even that god cares about us one bit.

Not only do i think it's possible. I think it's fairly likely that a creator of some kind exists.

However i think man made notions of god are way off the mark.

Even if a god of some kind exists it doesn't mean there will an afterlife or even that god cares about us one bit.

i agree, it's quite a leap to go from "there is a god" to knowing what his intentions are or claiming that he's in any way partial to us.

Who voted no?

Come on, 'fess up.

What's your reasoning behind being sure?

Who voted no?

Come on, 'fess up.

maybe the person who voted no meant the conventionally accepted idea of god is impossible... you know, the all loving, all knowing father figure with a long beard sitting on a white cloud somewhere up there. and if so, i'd concede that they're right, i'd be highly surprised if the day i die i come face to face with such a figure.

maybe god will end up being whatever we want him to be... which would open up a weird paradox since if we accept that god created us, then if when we die we essentially create him based on our own images and desires, then who's really creating who, you know? snake biting its own tail sort of situation. maybe we're gods and we don't even realize it =P

One could exist, and I do believe that there is a lot more to life/the universe than what we can see and experience, I just don't know what or how to put it in a box that I could even understand.

If such a great being does exist, it has done so and will continue to do so without my acknowledgement of it, and assuming it is the greatest thing ever, it will forgive me for my doubt because I'm simply a human. If it can't, then it's not something I'd want to worship.

Who voted no?

Come on, 'fess up.

lol the combination of that comment and your baby picture are priceless!

Who voted no?

Come on, 'fess up.

I voted no.
For the same reasons you guys believe there's a flying monster out there.
I believe there's nothing. And don't you dare tell me I'm wrong, you infidels.

I voted no.
For the same reasons you guys believe there's a flying monster out there.
I believe there's nothing. And don't you dare tell me I'm wrong, you infidels.

Ah ya see we're not saying we believe he/she/it exists (most of us anyway). We're saying we don't know.

The universe works too well and is too complicated to rule out the possibility that it has a designer.

It could be that there is an explanation for how fine tuned the universe is other than a designer but i think it is equally possible that there is one.

If you take the scientific, rational and logical approach you can't rule it out. That is no different to being absolutely sure that god does exist

Ah ya see we're not saying we believe he/she/it exists (most of us anyway). We're saying we don't know.

The universe works too well and is too complicated to rule out the possibility that it has a designer.

It could be that there is an explanation for how fine tuned the universe is other than a designer but i think it is equally possible that there is one.

If you take the scientific, rational and logical approach you can't rule it out. That is no different to being absolutely sure that god does exist

I'm as sure as Barny's sure there's a God who likes to torture those who don't praise it.

truth is, I just wanted a poll to vote on.

I'm as sure as Barny's sure there's a God who likes to torture those who don't praise it.
Note the low view of God and the correlation it has to strength of disbelief in God's existence.

:p

ackbar-its-a-trap.jpg

Axiom S5 of Modal Logic.