Out of synch with our day and age | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Out of synch with our day and age

This is not a joke.

Your humiliation of your species does not lessen the humiliation to know that i unlike pinocchio will never be a real man due to a deathly allergy to vaginas with appendage like pedipalps.

Back on topic though (we should stop defiling the thread saru)

[MENTION=4576]GracieRuth[/MENTION] I think it's pretty much a given that you'd feel "out of sync with our day and age" once you hit middle age. You just as well could have started an "I'm getting old" thread. No disrepect intended, being old is a great thing.

Reactions: the and Saru Inc
i drink grape drank

Reactions: barbad0s
I feel like I'm living in an SP society of hedonism, lots of great experiences, but no depth. Sometimes I wish I could live back in the Romantic era.
When did "righteous" become synonymous with "self righteous"?
When did "having good judgment" become "judgmental"?
There are times in history when our traits were valued. What happened?

Yeah the only thing worse than an SJ is an SP. Quite worthless creatures the whole bunch.

This assumes that there's still human existence after 2012.

Sounds like the ideal INFJ paradise.

You're suggesting an extermination of my people?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiMrvDbq3s

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
I like fish.

Reactions: acd
I feel like I'm living in an SP society of hedonism, lots of great experiences, but no depth. Sometimes I wish I could live back in the Romantic era.

I find that if you never turn on the TV and if you avoid centers of garish display, like malls, the world seems like a nice, peaceful place. Every now and then someone will try to carry on, by ungracefully cavorting their disgrace in front of me. I make sure this never goes on more than a few moments.

I nevertheless have a certain hankering for times gone by. The last few weeks I have been noticing lots of art-deco objects/items wherever I go. I am wondering if I might just cave-in and start eccentrically decking out my home in an art-deco 40's style. The main set-back is that I'm just sooooo utilitarian in how I keep my house. I don't think I have a single decorative object - and I have never done anything to decorate anything. Hmmmmm.... I think my house needs a woman's touch.

Reactions: Gaze
I think the technological revolutions of the past 60 years (or perhaps more) have created a world like no other before...and a culture that corresponds. With change so accellerated, we feel we have little in common with prior generations, and technologically this is so. But not otherwise. With our toys and gadgets and entertainments and information we have become like adolescents, who apprear grown up but are sorely lacking in long-range perspective. Culturally we are quite full of ourselves, our power.....yet at the same time we are unable to hear the voices of those who came before (they, afterall, appear irrelevant).

If humanity is to evolve at all we will have to grow up. Technological development will continue, no doubt, but we will have to ask ourselves the hard questions about our role in the cosmos, our responsibility to each other and the common good, whether we are "users" or "stewards" of our world....questions about balance.

To find answers, we will have to go back to our roots, to a more enlightened, clear perspective that is not of our age. Humanity will need to question and listen to our elders of old and there find wisdom, updating this and bringing it forward into our times. We will need to come full circle...and we are quite far from that point (culturally speaking) now.

Feeling out of touch with the current generation is a completely normal aspect of human psychological development. Every generation experiences this at some point or another.

Great topic. This crosses generations. This is a real issue I think. And it's not just a matter of social and cultural adaptation to a new societal order.

Agree somewhat. Not I'd want to live in a previous century for good reasons as Saru pointed out, but the lack of depth in our culture is frightening. Everything is treated so nonchalantly and superficially. And anything older is considered antequated or cute.

I think the technological revolutions of the past 60 years (or perhaps more) have created a world like no other before...and a culture that corresponds. With change so accellerated, we feel we have little in common with prior generations, and technologically this is so. But not otherwise. With our toys and gadgets and entertainments and information we have become like adolescents, who apprear grown up but are sorely lacking in long-range perspective. Culturally we are quite full of ourselves, our power.....yet at the same time we are unable to hear the voices of those who came before (they, afterall, appear irrelevant).

If humanity is to evolve at all we will have to grow up. Technological development will continue, no doubt, but we will have to ask ourselves the hard questions about our role in the cosmos, our responsibility to each other and the common good, whether we are "users" or "stewards" of our world....questions about balance.

To find answers, we will have to go back to our roots, to a more enlightened, clear perspective that is not of our age. Humanity will need to question and listen to our elders of old and there find wisdom, updating this and bringing it forward into our times. We will need to come full circle...and we are quite far from that point (culturally speaking) now.

Aptly put.

We are living in an age of frenetic passivity. It's a time when there is too much information but too little action based on that information. People are bombarded with messages from all directions but have little time or energy left for thought. They are like sponges, absorbing great volumes of information but doing nothing useful with it. Great experiences, if not followed by thought and introspection, are no different from surfing the internet for one's mild amusement. It's pleasant but useless.

I don't think this feeling necessarily stems from aging. I'm seventeen and have felt this way for quite a few years now. I think it comes more from what era the person has had the most exposure to (for example, I was always exposed to things pre-80s or pre-70s, and missed almost everything that happened in the 90s).
In all honesty, a lot of these problems seem, to me at least, to originate in the American way of thinking. The sense of entitlement, the judgement and condemnment that happens in the media, etc. I'm sure it happens in other places but, like most things Americans do, they've blown it way out of proportion and thus "infected" the rest of the world with it.
I also think the 80s had something to do with it, at least from a cinematic perspective. Most of the movies coming out then were teenagers overcoming the "horrible, rule-enforcing" adults in their lives, basically telling a whole generation to screw maturity and just have fun, and thus succeed in life. Nowadays, most popular movies are exactly what one would expect from someone who thinks like that; violent action movies with no depth, and achingly stupid comedies with no depth.

Then again, one could argue that it's always been like this, even during the Romantic era. Just because there were a lot of people thinking deeply does not mean that everyone did. Adults as a whole tend to act like adolescents with credit cards (and really, why shouldn't they?), and then there are a few who actually mature. Most of the poets and great thinkers in the Romantic era were friends or at least aquaintances in some way (from my understanding, though I could be wrong), which to me shows that even back then, not too many people were taking life in a very serious and thoughtful manner. So instead of changing eras, the answer to this is much more (or less, really) simple; changing the people you interact with.

Then again, one could argue that it's always been like this, even during the Romantic era. Just because there were a lot of people thinking deeply does not mean that everyone did. Adults as a whole tend to act like adolescents with credit cards (and really, why shouldn't they?), and then there are a few who actually mature. Most of the poets and great thinkers in the Romantic era were friends or at least aquaintances in some way (from my understanding, though I could be wrong), which to me shows that even back then, not too many people were taking life in a very serious and thoughtful manner. So instead of changing eras, the answer to this is much more (or less, really) simple; changing the people you interact with.

Indeed

I think especially in the last 100 years with so much development in the world, it's normal for a lot of people to dislike the fast-paced consumerism culture. Many of us wish that we could go back to simpler times, me included. Humans are being placed in a very unnatural environment at the moment. And, like Jabberwocky said, this feeling can be exacerbated by the lifestyles of attitudes of those you interact with. You probably have to put up with it at least a bit though, unless you want to build a hut in the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gaze and Saru Inc
I feel like I'm living in an SP society of hedonism, lots of great experiences, but no depth. What happened?

Oh. My bad.

[video=youtube;7_mccjAnCOk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_mccjAnCOk[/video]

Last edited:
I used to think it would be cool to live in a different era, That was before reading "At Home, A History of Private Life" by Bill Bryson. I'll tell you this much; Most of history sucked, people died a lot, it was hard work for the vast majority of people, everything smelled bad, and it was dark as hell everywhere.

When profit and consumerism became our society's twin gods. Our society has forgotten the ancient truth that endless stuff does not make you happier.