"Official" MBTI test. | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

"Official" MBTI test.

INTJ,

Not very surprised as the job I'm currently doing requires a lot of logic and factual analysis. Combined with the fact I'm away from friends whom I love dearly, the same friends who power my feelings and inspirations beyond the limit; I am not amazed.

When this is over in a few months I'll be back to feelings again but would have retained all the technical skills. It is indeed an advantage of heavily switching from one neighboring type to another; As it unlocks doors never opened before.

I really hate these tests, there's hardly just one answer for many of the questions which makes the test rather meaningless to me. On this test I got INFP for some reason.

You scored 2 on Extraversion, higher than 9% of your peers.
You scored 19 on Introversion, higher than 74% of your peers.
You scored 1 on Sensing, higher than 9% of your peers.
You scored 25 on Intuition, higher than 79% of your peers.
You scored 4 on Thinking, higher than 12% of your peers.
You scored 20 on Feeling, higher than 82% of your peers.
You scored 11 on Judging, higher than 61% of your peers.
You scored 11 on Perceiving, higher than 30% of your peers.

I really hate these tests, there's hardly just one answer for many of the questions which makes the test rather meaningless to me. On this test I got INFP for some reason.

That's actually a rather INFP statement. When answering the questions, if they seem confusing and or both answers apply to you, place your self in example scenarios and see which one is more truthful.

You scored 2 on Extraversion, higher than 9% of your peers.
You scored 19 on Introversion, higher than 74% of your peers.
You scored 1 on Sensing, higher than 9% of your peers.
You scored 25 on Intuition, higher than 79% of your peers.
You scored 4 on Thinking, higher than 12% of your peers.
You scored 20 on Feeling, higher than 82% of your peers.
You scored 11 on Judging, higher than 61% of your peers.
You scored 11 on Perceiving, higher than 30% of your peers.

It split the J and P tie to INFP.

Your dominant function is Introverted. Your greatest split is between iNtuition (25) and Sensing (1). This means you're Ni and Se. And then Feeling (20) and Thinking (4). This follows with Fe and Ti. The reason for the tie on J and P is that your Ni (25) is equal to your Fe (20) and Ti (4).

You're actually an INFJ.

My results.

INFP

8 Extraversion, 13 Introversion
4 Sensing, 22 Intuition
9 Thinking, 15 Feeling
11 Judging and 11 Perceiving

The MBTI did the same thing to me, with respect to the J and P split, and has done so for years. Part of the reason I'm so well educated on the subject is because I had to do research to determine my actual type. The MBTI does not make a decision based on cognitive functions, solely upon the 4 axis upon which it measures (I and E, N and S, F and T, J and P). However, if an individual's self assessment is good, the results are easy to proof with respect to cognitive functions, because essentially it is a measurement of them in raw form.

For example:

If we simply assume that my dominant function is Introverted due to the score, we can then put all of the functions in order from greatest to least, and this will create the cognitive hierarchy.

22 Intuition = Introverted = Ni
15 Feeling = Fe
9 Thinking = Ti
4 Sensing = Se

For a more detailed math intensive example (*popping my Ti knuckles*):

My N is 22 and my S is 4, which equal 26. My T is 9 and my F is 15, which equal 24. In otherwords my J is 24, and my P is 26. Divide them both by 2 and they're 12 and 13, which is effectively 11 and 11. The math adds up, but the test failed to put my functions in the correct order. This is the failing of the MBTI, and it mistypes a lot of people. (As I've been advocating for a very long time.)

There is a method of proving which cognitive functions you actually use, by analyzing the results a little more closely. Add up the results for each set and divide by I and E respectively. If the results are close to equal, you've got proof positive of your type and an accurate self assessment.

To break down the math, I'll add up my N (22) and T (9), then divide by my Introversion score (13). I'll add up my F (15) and my S (4), then divide by my Extraversion score (8). If the results are roughly equal, it means that my I and E self assessment is correct with my N, S, F, and T self assessment for my type.

My N is 22
and my T is 9 = 31 (31/13 = 2.38)
My F is 15
and my S is 4 = 19 (19/8 = 2.375)

(Ni + Ti)/I = (Fe + Se)/E

The results proof that I'm an INFJ, much like most of you who have gotten a mistype.

Now, I'll perform the same functions for INFP. Adding my N and T, but dividing by E. Adding my F and S, but dividing by I.

My N is 22
and my T is 9 = 31 (31/9 = 3.44)
My F is 15
and my S is 4 = 19 (19/13 = 1.46)

(Ne + Te)/E > (Fi + Si)/I

Clearly, the INFP results are off by more than double. Feel free to proof your own results. You'll likely come up with similar results that are congruent with most of the tests you take, and your own research.

Last edited:
That formula works for the ties, but are you saying your theory works with those who received the INFJ results? If so, what are your thoughts?

INTJ

5 Extraversion, 16 Introversion, 1 Sensing, 25 Intuition, 13 Thinking, 11 Feeling, 17 Judging and 5 Perceiving!

heh?

I suppose I do act like that sometimes. ok most of the time now. hmm.. I have been negecting my feeling side recently. Had to supress so much emotions I now feel like a robot so i suppose that explains the T part. Wow..didnt realise I had this much pent up in me :/

But other than that quite accurate. I'd say 70-75%

That formula works for the ties, but are you saying your theory works with those who received the INFJ results? If so, what are your thoughts?

I'm saying you can use the math I presented to determine your actual type, whether or not the MBTI got it right. Assuming, as always that your self assessment was accurate.

Here are the simplified equations, if you want to put your own scores from the MBTI in and check against the more common results posted on this thread.

To check to see if you're an INFJ:

(N + T)/I = X
(F + S)/E = Y

If X = Y and I > E you're an INFJ (Note, X and Y just have to be close, not perfectly equal)

If (N + S) is in proportion to (F + T) as P is in proportion to J, then your self assessment was accurate.

INFJs will have varying degrees of I to E, leaning toward I.
INFJs will have notably higher N than S, in no cases leaning toward S.
INFJs will have similar F over T, in rare cases leaning toward T.
INFJs will sometimes have similar J and P, in rare cases leaning toward P.

To check to see if you're an INFP:

(N + T)/E = X
(F + S)/I = Y

If X = Y and I > E you're an INFP (Note, X and Y just have to be close, not perfectly equal)

If (N + S) is in proportion to (F + T) as P is in proportion to J, then your self assessment was accurate.

INFPs will have varying degrees of I to E, leaning toward I.
INFPs will have notably higher F than T, in no cases leaning toward T.
INFPs will have similar N over S, in very rare cases leaning toward S.
INFPs will sometimes have similar J and P, in rare cases leaning toward J.

To check to see if you're an INTJ:

(N + F)/I = X
(T + S)/E = Y

If X = Y and I > E you're an INTJ (Note, X and Y just have to be close, not perfectly equal)

INTJs will have varying degrees of I to E, leaning toward I.
INTJs will have notably higher N than S, in no cases leaning toward S.
INTJs will have similar T over F, in rare cases leaning toward F.
INTJs will sometimes have similar J and P, in rare cases leaning toward P.

To check to see if you're an INTP:

(N + F)/E = X
(T + S)/I = Y

If X = Y and I > E you're an INTP (Note, X and Y just have to be close, not perfectly equal)

INTPs will have varying degrees of I to E, leaning toward I.
INTPs will have notably higher T than F, in no cases leaning toward F.
INTPs will have similar N over S, in very rare cases leaning toward S.
INTPs will sometimes have similar J and P, in rare cases leaning toward J.

Last edited:
No, I'm saying you can use the math I presented to determine your actual type, whether or not the MBTI got it right. Assuming, as always that your self assessment was accurate.

What if it's not equal, though? What does that mean? I'm not dissing your calculations - I'm really just curious.

What if it's not equal, though? What does that mean? I'm not dissing your calculations - I'm really just curious.

It doesn't have to be equal, just close. Self assessment is always going to have a margin of error. If your results are close enough to see the pattern, you have a proof. Mine was just really close. If it's not at all close, try fitting it into one of the other types I presented above. :)

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be equal, just close. Self assessment is always going to have a margin of error. If your results are close enough to see the pattern, you have a proof. Mine was just really close. If it's not at all close, try fitting it into one of the other types I presented above. :)

Hmm...but the X and Y in my case weren't even close, unless my math is off. My X was 1.944 and my Y was 5. Those...don't even come close, so either I'm off or I'm looking at the equation wrong. Math and I are not friends, though. Not in the least. ;) It's not really that important to me, but I would like to see where and how the balance takes place if X and Y are three or four points off from each other.

Last edited:
Hmm...but the X and Y in my case weren't even close, unless my math is off. My X was 1.944 and my Y was 5. Those...don't even come close, so either I'm off or I'm looking at the equation wrong. Math and I are not friends, though. Not in the least. ;) It's not really that important to me, but I would like to see where and how the balance takes place if X and Y are three or four points off from each other.

Can you give me your result scores? If I missed them somewhere in the thread and you don't want to post them here, we can do this in private messages.

INTP

Extraversion) Extraversion, 19 Introversion, 8 Sensing, 18 Intuition, 14 Thinking, 10 Feeling, 8 Judging and 14 Perceiving!

Interesting but I have been thinking like an INTP lately..

Can you give me your result scores? If I missed them somewhere in the thread and you don't want to post them here, we can do this in private messages.

(I went ahead and PM'd so we wouldn't clog up the thread).

INTP

Extraversion) Extraversion, 19 Introversion, 8 Sensing, 18 Intuition, 14 Thinking, 10 Feeling, 8 Judging and 14 Perceiving!

Interesting but I have been thinking like an INTP lately..

The MBTI is such a broken tool.

If your dominant function is Introversion, and your scores rank as follows...

N = 18 Ni
T = 14 Te
F = 10 Fi
S = 8 Se

...then you're an INTJ, despite what your J and P axis score is.

The other possibility is that you leaned toward T by 2 or more questions, and you're actually still an INFJ.

Reactions: 54192&#cmy
INFP

8 Extraversion, 13 Introversion, 0 Sensing, 26 Intuition, 10 Thinking, 14 Feeling, 6 Judging and 16 Perceiving!
Introverted Feeling with Extraverted Intuition

Approximately 4.3% of persons in the United States are INFPs.

Summary:
Idealistic, loyal to their values and to people who are important to them. Want an external life that is congruent with their values. Curious, quick to see possibilities, can be catalysts for implementing ideas. Seek to understand people and to help them fulfill their potential. Adaptable, flexible, and accepting unless a value is threatened.

At Their Best
People with INFP preferences have an inner core of values that guides their interactions and decisions. They want to be involved in work that contributes to both their own growth and inner development and those of others to have a purpose beyond their paycheck. They make a priority of clarifying their values and living in congruence with them.
INFPs recognize and honor the emotional and psychological needs of others, even when others may not have recognized or expressed their own needs.

Characteristics of INFPs
INFPs primarily use their Feeling preference internally where they make decisions based on their values of self understanding, individuality, and growth. Living by moral commitments to what they believe in is crucial to INFPs. They are likely to be

Last edited:
I did the calculation thing using my results for all four like you said VonHase (number is X/Y):

INFJ : X/Y = .27
INFP : (X/Y)^-1 = .2
INTJ : X/Y = .46
INTP : (X/Y)^-1 = .12

By that, it says I am INTJ, which I am not. I did notice when I was taking this, I was not answering very many Ne type questions, which would explain a reduced N score. As for F v T qestions, I found myself sitting on them the longest simply because I use them most (after Ni of course).

I have also noticed something interesting. Almost all of the results that I get are pretty clear. However, when I apply the theories that you come up with (which I do largely agree with) it makes my results much less clear.

--

I did notice a hole though (N+S) divided by (F+T) is always going to equal the same number, 1.08 because that is simply adding up all of those questions. That is like saying someone has to have P = J, which is not the case for everyone (particulary someone like me).

INFJ

I 19 (E = 2)
N 23 (S = 3)
F 19 (T = 5)
J 17 (P = 5)

Von Hase,

I'm sorry, but I'm not following the logic of your theory this time. It seems that you're suggesting that someone who scores distinctly INFJ by getting a high score in each of the four components (I, N, F, and J) is not then an INFJ. What type do you suggest they are?

You only wrote out the math for four INXX types (and I don't understand the logic of your math so I can't translate that to the other 12 possible types), but using your math in the four you suggested my x and y are closest on INTJ. So in your theory scoring 19 F and 5 T suggests to you I'm an INTJ?

I can appreciate not wanting to derail the thread, but having introduced this theory into the thread, I would appreciate enough explanation to clear up why you think someone who scores clearly on MBTI as INFJ is actually better represented by some other type description.

Thanks.

INFP

1 Extraversion, 20 Introversion
0 Sensing, 26 Intuition
0 Thinking, 24 Feeling
1 Judging and 21 Perceiving!

I preference is VERY CLEAR
N preference is VERY CLEAR
F preference is VERY CLEAR
P preference is VERY CLEAR

Introverted Feeling with Extraverted Intuition

Approximately 4.3% of persons in the United States are INFPs.

Summary:
Idealistic, loyal to their values and to people who are important to them. Want an external life that is congruent with their values. Curious, quick to see possibilities, can be catalysts for implementing ideas. Seek to understand people and to help them fulfill their potential. Adaptable, flexible, and accepting unless a value is threatened.

At Their Best:
People with INFP preferences have an inner core of values that guides their interactions and decisions. They want to be involved in work that contributes to both their own growth and inner development and those of others to have a purpose beyond their paycheck. They make a priority of clarifying their values and living in congruence with them.

INFPs recognize and honor the emotional and psychological needs of others, even when others may not have recognized or expressed their own needs.

Characteristics of INFPs
INFPs primarily use their Feeling preference internally where they make decisions based on their values of self understanding, individuality, and growth. Living by moral commitments to what they believe in is crucial to INFPs. They are likely to be

• Sensitive, concerned, and caring
  • Idealistic and loyal to their ideas

INFPs enjoy reading, discussing, and reflecting on possibilities for positive change in the future. They are curious about ideas and quick to see connections and meanings. INFPs are likely to

• Be curious and creative
  • Have long-range vision

INFPs are usually fascinated by opportunities to explore the complexities of human personality their own and others'. They tend to work in bursts of energy and are capable of great concentration and output when fully engaged in a project. They are generally faithful in fulfilling obligations related to people, work, or ideas to which they are committed, but they can have difficulty performing routine work that has little meaning for them.

How Others May See Them
INFPs find structures and rules confining and prefer to work autonomously. They are adaptable and flexible until something violates their inner values. Then they stop adapting. The resulting expression of value judgments can emerge with an intensity that is surprising to others.

INFPs tend to be reserved and selective about sharing their most deeply held values and feelings. They value relationships based on depth, authenticity, true connection, and mutual growth. INFPs prize most those who take time to understand their values and goals. Others usually see INFPs as

• Sensitive, introspective, and complex
  • Original and individual
  • Sometimes difficult to understand

Potential Areas for Growth
Sometimes life circumstances have not supported INFPs in the development and expression of their Intuitive and Feeling preferences.

• If they have not developed their Intuition, INFPs may not have reliable ways to take in information and may fail to notice the realities of situations. Then they may make decisions based solely on personal values and find it difficult to translate their values into action.
  • If they have not developed their Feeling, they may not take time for the inner valuing process by which they make their best decisions, instead going from one exciting possibility to another and achieving little.

If INFPs do not find a place where they can use their gifts and be appreciated for their contributions, they usually feel frustrated and may

• Have uncharacteristic difficulty expressing themselves verbally
  • Withdraw from people and situations
  • Not give enough information to others, especially about important values

It is natural for INFPs to give less attention to their non- preferred Thinking and Sensing parts. If they neglect these too much, however, they may

• Become easily discouraged about the contrast between their ideals and accomplishments
  • Reject logical reasoning even in situations that require it, asserting the supremacy of their internal viewpoint
  • Be impractical and have difficulty estimating the re- sources required to reach a desired goal

Under great stress, INFPs may begin seriously doubting their own competence and that of others, becoming overly critical and judgmental.

cheers,
Ian