New disorders proposed for DSM-V... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

New disorders proposed for DSM-V...

I have actually never thought about that before but I must confess that is very interesting..

What do you mean, that Internet Addiction Disorder is viewed as a cause? Because I think of it as an effect... only what is the root of the problem?
I would think that social phobia could be one cause, what do you think?

The only thing bad about the American pharmaceutical industry is the monopolization of it.

The only thing bad about the American pharmaceutical industry is the monopolization of it.

There are seven large ones Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Abbott Labs, Merck, Wyeth, Bristol-Myers Squib, and Eli Lilly. There exist smaller companies and biotechs than those seven.

ITs such a horrible thing haha...

I just read some Journal's of Psychiatry today...

HAHA and in them are big commercial adds on medication. Where they promote miracles from medication...
ITS REALLY SO CRAZY!!

Like an anti-depressant for Major Depressive Dissorder:
There is a picture of a depressed looking girl, staring out a window with sad negative words written around her on the window... and then you turn the page and she has the brightest white smile and glimpse in her eyes... Sending out the message that this anti-depressant is a freaking wonder medication, when it says with the smallest size on the next page 'may increase risk for suicide..."

There are seven large ones Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Abbott Labs, Merck, Wyeth, Bristol-Myers Squib, and Eli Lilly. There exist smaller companies and biotechs than those seven.
Too few.

Patents are mainly to blame.

Too few.

Patents are mainly to blame.

An increase in academic research funding would allow for techniques and synthetic pathways to be common knowledge and unpatentable.

I have actually never thought about that before but I must confess that is very interesting..

What do you mean, that Internet Addiction Disorder is viewed as a cause? Because I think of it as an effect... only what is the root of the problem?
I would think that social phobia could be one cause, what do you think?

Yeah, you got it. Social phobia is a good example of a cause. When I said people viewed it as a cause, I meant that it is misconstrued as the cause of social problems, when I think that it is a result of social problems.

I could be wrong, but I've suffered from the phenomenon myself.

ITs such a horrible thing haha...

I just read some Journal's of Psychiatry today...

HAHA and in them are big commercial adds on medication. Where they promote miracles from medication...
ITS REALLY SO CRAZY!!

There is a picture of a depressed looking girl, staring out a window with sad negative words written around her on the window... and then you turn the page and she has the brightest white smile and glimpse in her eyes... Sending out the message that this anti-depressant is a freaking wonder medication, when it says with the smallest size on the next page 'may increase risk for suicide..."

Welcome to the greed of the American psychiatrists. I don't trust psychiatrists because so many of them are corrupt. There is also an overemphasis on medication at the expense of everything else in this country.

Yeah, you got it. Social phobia is a good example of a cause. When I said people viewed it as a cause, I meant that it is misconstrued as the cause of social problems, when I think that it is a result of social problems.

I could be wrong, but I've suffered from the phenomenon myself.

Ahh I see what you meant now... Oh wow I didn't think of it actually but it definetly complicates things alot. It is definetly ambigous and I see how e.g. a parent may think that internet may be the cause to being asocial...

When the other side of the coin is social phobia leads to escapism to the internet..

Welcome to the greed of the American psychiatrists. I don't trust psychiatrists because so many of them are corrupt. There is also an overemphasis on medication at the expense of everything else in this country.

Definetly, it really enrages me. Although it also encourages me, because I wan't to be a psychiatrist but never ever for the reasons I've heard here..

I can see why you wouldn't trust them and why so many probably don't know what they are stuffing down their throat..
Avoid them or read up what you are being prescribed!!!

I was diagnosed with Major Depression 4 years ago, and promptly put on an antidepressant (I am now on three psychiatric medications).

The list of side effects for psychiatrics, even besides suicide, is astounding. The fact that many psychiatrists don't know about some of them is even scarier. I've heard stories of people being told they can stop Zoloft cold turkey. Even when my dose was slightly decreased I had panic attacks and headaches. Zoloft is not addictive per se, but it does cause physical dependence. I cannot eat grapefruit due to interactions (which is not that big a problem). But decreased libido is no fun =(

I take a small dose of Abilify, which likely is the reason I've gained weight compared to my height. Abilify can also cause tarditive dyskenesia, which is uncontrollable muscle spasms that can occur even after years of side-effect free use. The spasms can become permanent.

Lastly, I take lithium, which requires me to get yearly blood tests, because the therapeutic dose is very close to the toxicity dose.

I've also fainted upon standing up, in the middle of choir class, although I'm not sure which medication(s) caused that.

Definetly, it really enrages me. Although it also encourages me, because I wan't to be a psychiatrist but never ever for the reasons I've heard here..

I can see why you wouldn't trust them and why so many probably don't know what they are stuffing down their throat..
Avoid them or read up what you are being prescribed!!!

If you don't want to prescribe medication (and spend a fortune on medical school) you can become a therapist/clinical psychologist. They do more talking and less medicating.

I was diagnosed with Major Depression 4 years ago, and promptly put on an antidepressant (I am now on three psychiatric medications).

The list of side effects for psychiatrics, even besides suicide, is astounding. The fact that many psychiatrists don't know about some of them is even scarier. I've heard stories of people being told they can stop Zoloft cold turkey. Even when my dose was slightly decreased I had panic attacks and headaches. Zoloft is not addictive per se, but it does cause physical dependence. I cannot eat grapefruit due to interactions (which is not that big a problem). But decreased libido is no fun =(

I take a small dose of Abilify, which likely is the reason I've gained weight compared to my height. Abilify can also cause tarditive dyskenesia, which is uncontrollable muscle spasms that can occur even after years of side-effect free use. The spasms can become permanent.

Lastly, I take lithium, which requires me to get yearly blood tests, because the therapeutic dose is very close to the toxicity dose.

I've also fainted upon standing up, in the middle of choir class, although I'm not sure which medication(s) caused that.

Ohh wow that is alot of medication, do you feel that it is helping you in alleviating symptoms or getting through life better? Because medication is just supposed to help you with the symptoms, the real recovery happens in therapy!!! I wish I could help you not be unhappy.

If you don't want to prescribe medication (and spend a fortune on medical school) you can become a therapist/clinical psychologist. They do more talking and less medicating.
Yes only that medical school or any other university in Sweden is free.. See my perception of me being a psychiatrist has always been really caring for my patients. I myself passionately have an interest for Schizophrenia and can relate to it. Therefore that is what I want to work with and research. It may seem naive, but sometimes I think all a person needs is a hug! Some empathy and to hear that someone loves them may simply help a gzillion times more than being subdued by anti-psychotics!!!!!

I actually either wan't to be a cognitive psychologist or a psychiatrist. I'm just never going to be one of those, who hands out shit down childrens throats saying they are not 'normal' when they are like 5 years old... URGH they're KIDS fgs!!!

After meeting a couple of psychiatrists here in America in externship, I find that they were absolute arrogant bastards. They told me of a mocking joke they have:

"What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?"
- A psychiatrist makes 120 000 dollars more in a year...

and they of course laughed SO arrogantly, which I didn't!...

Last edited:
I honestly don't know if the medications have helped or not. I suppose withdrawal symptoms imply that *something* was going on.

Reactions: Pristinegirl