Mysterious | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Mysterious

i don't hold back anything....i'm just naturally mysterious to some

This seems like a common trait and yes, I'm forever being told I'm mysterious/surprising/enigmatic. I don't try to be. I don;t see it as an insult but I do try (although I'm not sure what this involves really) to be a little less "mysterious" because I find it intimidates some people (and I feel like I'm the furthest thing from intimidating that one could be..). I guess it's just that I only open up to people that I really like, respect, and trust. I only want to be known intimately by certain people.

There is a thin line between mysterious-fun (guy who has traveled abroad and learned all the positions of the Kama Sutra) and mysterious-creepy (child molester). Take your chances.

There is a thin line between mysterious-fun (guy who has traveled abroad and learned all the positions of the Kama Sutra) and mysterious-creepy (child molester). Take your chances.
HAHA! True.
One is mysterious while the other is.. ominous.

So thin that I can't see a difference?

Whoa! THAT is really thin.

So thin that I can't see a difference?

Whoa! THAT is really thin.

As you wish.

asyouwish-1.jpg

As you wish.

asyouwish-1.jpg

As I wish, so shall things be for me. From the beginnings of times this has been decreed.
Or as in Jesus' terminology "As you seed so you shall reap" - Buddha called it Karma -It's really all the same thing. As you wish, so it will be for you and as I wish, so it shall be for me. I keep my wishes kinda loosely based so they can keep an openframe and not be too tied down to previous misconceptions, but that's just the present me. Eh maybe not really. It may be the past and future me as well. WE all kinda sorta get along and all..

Mysterious in my life: going about my business without explaining what I am doing to the Sensors. They can't figure me out.

Plus Defense: the few times I have opened myself up to others, they take it as an inivitation to try to change who I am.

Mmmmm.

Maybe. It depends on my mood. But when I do things like that, specifically alter the way I am to appear a certain way, it is more to see what reaction I can squeeze out of people and to see if I can manipulate the way they respond just by me acting differently.

Cokenut will be happy to hear that I hold back parts of myself just to piss off people. :p

Actually, I unintentionally hold back. In real life, I usually show people what I call my "bubbly" self, and if I like them somewhat then I show them my "intellectual" self, and if that hasn't scared them off I'll show them my "emotional disclosure" self. I also have my "daydream" self who I only share with special friends. I have one more self, my "sexual" self, but I honestly haven't found anyone to who I'm comfortable showing that version of myself.

I've been working on being more self disclosing for a couple years now.

I am EXACTLY the same way. I couldn't have described myself more accurately than you just did.

Last edited:
I can honestly say that there isn't a single person who truly knows me, but I don't purposely be mysterious. It's just that there is so much to me that I have a hard time figuring out where to begin, and a lot of the things I have to say aren't exactly casual conversation material. I do try to be open to others about what I think and feel about things whenever I see an opportunity, though, and I also try to start up certain topics of conversation that might lead to opening myself up more, assuming that they're interested in talking about it and don't get interrupted (which tends to happen a lot, unfortunately...).

Oh gosh, this one is absolutely me too....I came on this board with so many original, deep things to say, but it seems like they've all already been said! It's SO wonderful to see that other people feel the same way as me.

Sometimes the perception of me is so far off from the way I see myself that it makes me wonder HOW people see so little. I'm very artistic (musician, artist, writer)and philosophical, so I'm definitely the "deep, brooding type". In public, I'm very quiet and reserved half the time, and then I'm the bubbliest, smiliest person I know the other half. And yet, I remember this one instance (one of many), for example, that really baffled me. I went on this out-of-town trip with my youth group at church, and some of the girls and I were getting a little slap-happy in our hotel room at 2 in the morning. We took some silly pictures (seriously, all they were were goofy faces), and when the guys in the group saw them, one of them said, "Wow...I do believe there's a side to Brooke we haven't seen before." And I just thought, "Am I really that much of an alien? Do these guys not even know that I'm capable of having fun?" I think often my reserved-ness is mistaken for dullness, and then at that point no one wants to look any further or even try to get to know me. But I'm not dull; I live a very intense, exciting life-- it's just that excitement for me is being involved in my music, my art, my writing. Excitement for me isn't going to the movies and on endless shopping trips; it's feeling something. Nobody gets that. Nobody understands the passion that drives everything that I do. Maybe I'm ultra-perceptive and expect the same from everyone else; I don't know. I just wish more than anything that someone could see and understand it.

Last edited:
Excitement for me isn't going to the movies and on endless shopping trips; it's feeling something. Nobody gets that. Nobody understands the passion that drives everything that I do. Maybe I'm ultra-perceptive and expect the same from everyone else; I don't know. I just wish more than anything that someone could see and understand it.

yes, exactly that.

feeling something in respect to gaining profound insight or even just experiencing emotional ambiances in other people or within myself is definately a most wondrous sensation i cannot even begin to explain. it may come in a carefree manner or it may be intensely electrifying; however it comes i never fail to appreciate its intrinsic quality in colouring my life in so many of the places others tend to disregard. perhaps that is mysterious in the sense that seeing beauty in the overlooked or empathizing with the neglected is becoming less and less valued in western culture.
as with you, i also find many others, even those i am close with, become baffled as to where my passion is stemming from, where my understanding is based, or how my decisions are made. perhaps, my introversion also plays a major role in perceiving me as somewhat hard to understand (as with society's tendency to do so to introversion in general). i do not blame them for doing so, yet find it hard to explain how full solitude truly feels and how rich the inner world can be with its seemingly lonely appearance on the outside.

I think one is only as mysterious as others think them to be, not how they think themselves.

Usually what makes for a mysterious person is someone who is totally unaware of their mystery... just someone who isn't interested in making themself understood, because they know themselves are are secure enough in that.

Usually what makes for a mysterious person is someone who is totally unaware of their mystery... just someone who isn't interested in making themself understood, because they know themselves are are secure enough in that.

i think i've been accused of being too aloof all the while remaining an open book to anyone who actually wanted to know be better on a personal level. people are confused by these two synchronous extremes and i hadn't even realized this seeming paradox before.

I've managed to perfect for myself mostly the art of projecting and Exxx attitude. Its really fun and I enjoy being so outgoing especially with my friends. But heres the thing. thats where it ends for most of them. Most of them will remember me as crazy, outgoing and so on so forth without ever knowing the otherside of me. The INFJ side, which is mostly in the background arranging everything and planning everything that is said or done. So far I've only let a few people see that side of me. But, 'cos I seem so crazy to everyone, everyone usually thinks that thats me and theres no mystery. But everyone does think I'm weird :D . Mostly 'cos I tend to do things to get answers without them even knowing I'm doing it :D.Only My closer friends know that part of me and can tell immediately (mostly) when I'm doing it to someone else but still cant really tell when I'm doing it to them :D. So in that sense, I try to "reduce" my mysteriousness by showing my Fe side but everything else hiding behind that. I find that it is the best way to get around where I live. The only thing is that when I get tired, my INFJ side throws the Fe side out the window for the time being and just wants to rest by being "emo". :D

hope that made sense lol

ps: oops forgot i posted on this already. But I think this is a better elaboration lol

Last edited:
La Femme Mystique

Hell yes, I am mysterious!
And fascinating,
and absolutely mind-blowing!
I am the best damn thing to walk this physical plane.
To know my touch is to know ecstasy.
806.gif

Many have tried to attain me; it's a short list that succeed.
I am highly addictive. I am the dream come true.

Oh. did I mention modest?
hyenas.gif

Actually, I don't do this on purpose---I can't help but being mysterious because of my strong "N." I'm abstract and extremely complex. An INTJ friend always tells me i'm "so interesting" and asked me once, "Will you ever be able to express all of yourself to someone you trust?"

I said "no" because there are just some things that aren't intended to be shared...that no matter how I trust and love someone, anyone, I could never be able to share everything about myself.

The complex dimensions of my personality seem to prevent me from even having to try to be mysterious. I will always be, and i've accepted that...

I always feel that I'm an open book, yet some of those closest to me find me "complicated" and "mysterious." My boyfrien is always after me to be more open about my feelings, whereas I'd rather talk about his. Of course he's much more elusive than I am, giving but a small clue to an answer in respose to a direct question and when asked to elucidate, replies, "You're a smart woman, you figure it out." With him it's a matter of waiting till he's in a mood to ruminate out loud, during which he's more open to questions. And he's not even an INFJ!

Not sure if this is mysterious or not.. But I'm used to listening to other people talk about themselves and their goals and their feelings etc..

I'm good at listening to other people and analyzing their situations and offering advice when asked for it, but usually when it comes to me, I become scatterbrained and can't communicate a coherent thought.