Mysterious | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Mysterious

I hold everything back from people I don't know really well and trust. I like surprising people with something interesting they didn't know about me, and generally don't enjoy being emotionally or intellectually naked in front of people.

I hold everything back from people I don't know really well and trust. I like surprising people with something interesting they didn't know about me, and generally don't enjoy being emotionally or intellectually naked in front of people.

It's funny because once you reveal a bit more about you, the people that think they have you figured out are completely put off. It's risky being 'transparent'...

I'm good at listening to other people and analyzing their situations and offering advice when asked for it, but usually when it comes to me, I become scatterbrained and can't communicate a coherent thought.

with people I don't trust I create boundaries and sometimes when they try to get too close, sirens sound and I keep my distance in the politest way possible. This may seem like i'm being mysterious but in reality i'm just being selective about what part of me they know. It's only around people I trust that i'm comfortable enough being 'me'...

Last edited:
i hold myself public and appear even more mysterious. if only there were more time to myself people could understand how i can be so creative.

I don't think I'm mysterious. I do, however, hide in plain sight. There are probably three people in the world who know me well. I just let everyone else think whatever they want to think. I'm friendly but I don't let too many people very close to me.

being too aloof all the while remaining an open book to anyone who actually wanted to know be better on a personal level.

yup i'm exactly the same way.

i've been accused of being shady and lazy so the only deliberately mysterious thing about me is how people tend to project their fears/frustrations onto us quiet ones. i just don't trust that everyone will accept and understand me right off the bat like a loose ferret. we are emotional sponges regarding the interactive consequences. cautious but human enough with a desire to connect.

i find that what most of my peers define as "opening up" is nowhere near as personal as what i'm keeping locked inside. the next best option is to do it indirectly through sarcastic half-truths so it may be casually digested.

i often find myself thinking "if only you knew" only to realise i'm thinking that in the tone of spite. it's basically saying "don't take the mystery for granted." there's a wider gap of understanding to be bridged between infjs and most people so it makes sense why we are so selective.

i also couldn't ever open up entirely to anyone.
even the people i'm closest to don't always see where i'm coming from and the more they know, the more they're justified in their judgments. the more betrayal feels like fundamental rejection. i have a love-hate relationship with vulnerability. sometimes it's thrilling and courageous, other times it's lonely and misunderstood,
like this quote "i'm stronger than you know.. sometimes i'm not afraid to let it show"- tori amos
considering the self-preservation risks, it's a pretty big thing for us to open up about some aspects of our inner world but on the other hand, infjs also will be comfortable divulging certain things most people find off limits as long as we've processed it. sometimes the most seemingly open extraverts are surpass our mystery with tighter boundaries protecting their personal thoughts.. enfjs tend to give off that warm, inviting aura which tricks people into believing they know them when they really only up to those they trust. i tend to assume you can never completely get to know a person so not being able to express myself can be positive in recognising that about others too.

why should we have to prove the boundless freedom of imagination? i dream in feelings and ineffable intuitions
i don't always know how to tell nature how much it means to me, so secrets are as sacred as a time capsule. when the right time comes, the right people will dig your grave-in-progress out of its ~soulful burial :tape2: until then i silently rest in peace.
:peep:

I've found that what people consider to be "opening up" is actually "spilling your gossip to me so I can actually have something to talk over tea time". I used to strike people as mysterious because they all knew a bit about me and my past but not enough to have a word about. The moment they got close enough to ask me and receive an answer about their doubts, they effectively seemed to lose interest and carried on to the next 'mystery'.

So basically, the concept of 'mystery' that people pursue is - in my opinion - nothing but the pointless, open facts about one's story. Hardly anyone nowadays is interested in hearing your emotions, your feelings or your inner thoughts. It's how the world works - you wont see the media making news on how that poor homeless fellow felt about his homelessness, but rather of how a thunderbold fried him to a crisp because he slept in a park.

From my experience, I don't try to be mysterious at all. I find it pointless and painful, because I used to be na