Musical-visual intelligence test | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Musical-visual intelligence test

I get this as well, it's much more physical for me then visual (the physical part is what I end up focusing more on). But I still get this. This is why I am confused about this test. I do relate sounds to images, very much so, but I still don't get this test at all.

How many times have you tried it? Maybe if you figure out what might be the right answer by guessing, you can replay the sounds and pick up on why that particular choice is the right 1. And the rest will follow on. Just see the boxes and shapes as different sounds and pitches. And remember them as you go along with each question. Put a certain sound to a particular box/triangle or series of shapes.

How many times have you tried it? Maybe if you figure out what might be the right answer by guessing, you can replay the sounds and pick up on why that particular choice is the right 1. And the rest will follow on. Just see the boxes and shapes as different sounds and pitches. And remember them as you go along with each question.

I did mess with it some, and I redid some of the questions. Some of the answers, I get, it makes sense, but only like 3 of them. The rest, I have no idea why that image would be related. It doesn't make sense that it would be universal for everyone. Infact it feels really wrong to me that this can actually even be quantified and that there is a right or wrong answer for this. I mean, this actually is really bothering me quite a lot.

It's actually not so much that the test doesn't make sense, it just feels wrong to me on so so so many levels, it's driving me nuts.

What the hell does the red box means?
The music is supposed to feel red? o_O

1. The red is another instrument, but it's playing the same pattern. So this example would be 2 boxes. 1 red and 1 black.

2. The red is another instrument and playing a different pattern. So maybe a black box and a red triangle.

But there was 2 black boxes and then 1 black box and 1 red box.
What's the difference? o__o

This. I don't know what each symbol is supposed to represent, I don't know what the distance, the direction of the movement aside from arrow, or if there is a direction at all. I don't know what the colors mean, and why they are there in the first place? Why are all the shapes so simple? Why squares? I don't know why the patterns are set as they are. I don't understand why you have to choose between certain options. There are no written directions. I don't even know what I am supposed to be looking for. Are certain sounds supposed to represent certain shapes? Why? What sounds? Why in certain arangements? What do the instruments represent?

There are so many questions and so little explination to it. I don't know what I am looking for, further it's so subjective that it makes NO SENSE, that so many people are getting 100%! IT MAKES NO SENSE! To me this seems no different then tying to test if someone is psychic or not by guessing what letter is on the next webpage.

holycrap I need to step away from this. This is actually making me really really mad.

1. The red is another instrument, but it's playing the same pattern. So this example would be 2 boxes. 1 red and 1 black.

2. The red is another instrument but playing different pattern. So maybe a black box and a red triangle.
Yep, exactly.

This made perfect sense to me upon listening to the progression of the pieces played and the shapes made. I goofed up once but I immediately knew why what I chose was wrong.

But there was 2 black boxes and then 1 black box and 1 red box.
What's the difference? o__o

If there is 2 boxes 1 red and 1 black, they are both playing the exact same sequence, but 1 is a different instrument. So they are different, but playing the same sequence.

2. The red is another instrument and playing a different pattern. So maybe a black box and a red triangle.

How do you know this? This shouldn't be universal, and to me this does not make a single bit of sense that an instrument would be a different color. It feels "wrong" to me that it would anyway.

How do you know this? This shouldn't be universal, and to me this does not make a single bit of sense that an instrument would be a different color. It feels "wrong" to me that it would anyway.

It's just to see if you can distinguish 2 different sounds from 1 another. I guess.

In my mind, the sounds were a lot more complex, but given the pictures for each tune, I could work it out.

If an arrow goes up it means that the sound gets higher, if it goes down then the sound gets lower. That's the only thing I understood :D
Thanks Free Mind. ;)

This. I don't know what each symbol is supposed to represent, I don't know what the distance, the direction of the movement aside from arrow, or if there is a direction at all. I don't know what the colors mean, and why they are there in the first place? Why are all the shapes so simple? Why squares? I don't know why the patterns are set as they are. I don't understand why you have to choose between certain options. There are no written directions. I don't even know what I am supposed to be looking for. Are certain sounds supposed to represent certain shapes? Why? What sounds? Why in certain arangements? What do the instruments represent?

There are so many questions and so little explination to it. I don't know what I am looking for, further it's so subjective that it makes NO SENSE, that so many people are getting 100%! IT MAKES NO SENSE! To me this seems no different then tying to test if someone is psychic or not by guessing what letter is on the next webpage.

holycrap I need to step away from this. This is actually making me really really mad.

Try not to look at it too in depth, they are simple pictures for simple little tunes. You will notice on some, that the box might be a little bit out of another 1, this would mean that the very last part of the tune will only be played by 1 instrument.

I'm off to bed now. G'night. ^_^

Last edited:
In a way this test was writing the music in a very simplified form.

Two boxes exactly the same, and the same color mean that sample one and two are completely identical. Two boxes exactly the same but two different colors means the pattern and pitches are the same, but the instrument is different between the two. A black box and a red triangle means that sample one was a different instrument, pitch, and pattern than sample two. A red rectangle superimposed over a black box means that two different patterns are being played together, with the shorter (red) one being played ontop of the longer (black) pattern. If the red rectangle is slightly on top of the black box, it means the pitch is slightly higher than the pattern represented by the black box, and if the red rectangle hangs out on the right hand side of the black box, it means that the sample played on a fraction longer than the sample represented by the black box.

Reactions: IndigoSensor
I am wondering out of the people who scored 90-100% how many of them have actually studied music? It would make sense people who are active in music in school would do better on this than those who haven't.
I studied music theory, and had private music lessons for 4 years in high school. 4 years of classical and Spanish guitar, and 3 of saxophone. I also studied Jazz, and preformed in Jazz Band, Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Marching Band, small ensembles, competed in solo festivals for 8 years (saxophone), composed my own music, played guitar and sang in a band for 5 years, and continue to write, sing, and preform music with my guitar. My senior year of high school I went through the whole long process of applying to and auditioning for 4 different music schools.

I've lost a lot of my knowledge and ability after deciding not to pursue a career in music, but this test seemed pretty simple to me considering all of the time I've previously spent studying music.

meh only 55%, was thinking i'd do a little better than that as i once pursued a career in music. but you know what they say about drummers, they are the guys who hang out with musicians.

I am tempted to fake the results to this test.

But nah, I'll take it when my head ain't banging.

Interesting test id say. At first i didnt understand a shit, then all of a sudden, oh hell thats how it is. Just after a while did i notice the correct/incorrect signs. Then i thought, no its not like this anyway, and i started to get it wrong again. All in all a poor performance from a previuos music student, but ok it could be worse

Total score 80

pitch discremenation: 82,6
musical memory: 82
countour discremenation: 82
attention: 79,6
m v abstraction: 70,6

Total: 85%
Pitch discrimination: 84.1%
Musical memory: 89.5%
Contour discrimination: 80.7%
Attention: 81.7%
Musical/visual abstraction: 85.3%