Musical-visual intelligence test | INFJ Forum

Musical-visual intelligence test

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Musical-visual intelligence testhttp://www.jakemandell.com/amvi/

What is AMVI? Associative Musical Visual Intelligence (or "amvi" for short) is a type of intelligence that's difficult enough to define, let alone test. Many creative people can associate across sensory domains: they "hear" hints of shapes and can "taste" the essense of colors. At its most extreme this phenomenon is called synesthesia. However, I believe that creative people subconsciously employ elements of synesthesia every day when attempting to think of things in new ways. This is a logic test that attempts to measure one's ability to correlate musical phrases with abstract shapes and symbols.

75%

Pitch discrimination: 76.8%
Musical memory: 76.0%
Contour discrimination: 81.9%
Attention: 76.3%
Musical/visual abstraction: 60.4%

100%

Pitch discrimination: 100%
Musical memory: 100%
Contour discrimination: 95.2%
Attention: 97.8%
Musical/visual abstraction: 100%
----------------------------

I believe that creative people subconsciously employ elements of synesthesia every day when attempting to think of things in new ways.

My piano teacher decided to train my ear when I was 5...
I also was introduced to the concept of musical mapping in the 5th grade.
5 is prime.
Incidentally music also happens to be my pneumonic tool of choice.

All the associations I intend are intentional.
For everything else, there's mastercard (oh geez).

Good job, you made my N(e) xplode...
I'll be back in a few hours... maybe.

:m058:

Last edited:
100%

Pitch discrimination: 100%
Musical memory: 100%
Contour discrimination: 97.2%
Attention: 95.8%
Musical/visual abstraction: 100%

Reactions: bamf
total score: 95%

pitch discrimination: 94.2%
musical memory: 95.5%
contour discrimination: 94%
attention: 91.4%
musical/visual abstraction: 93.2%

70%

Pitch: 63% (Makes sense, I tend to not do well with it for various reasons due to my hearing.)
Musical memory 66.1%
Contour Discrimination 72.3%
Attention 69.9%
Musical/visual 69.0%

I kind of wish I waited to take this test in the morning. Right now, I'm just kind of not all here. I wouldn't have done that much better, though. I kind of feel that if you particularly bad at one portion of the test, you'll kind of do badly on all of it.

(runs off to take the other tests)

~~~

Edit: I might have to accept the notion that I might be a tad bit more tone deaf than I think I am. Rhythmically I'm pretty awesome though =/

Last edited:
100%

Pitch discrimination: 100.0%
Musical memory: 100.0%
Musical/visual abstraction: 100.0%

Wooo! Maybe all those years of private study, lessons, and preparation for music school actually paid off for something.

Reactions: jyrffw54
70%
Scores went like 60%, 60% 70%, 75%, 72%

I'm not visual at all and have no idea of what the red shapes meant lol.
I also never had any music classes. It could be a good idea to do one xD

I wish I'd done a little better.

Total Score: 85%
Pitch discrimination: 87.0%
Musical memory: 86.5%
Contour discrimination: 77.1%
Attention: 82.8%
Musical/visual abstraction: 85.3%

This was really interesting. Thank you for posting it, Anita.

Reactions: Gaze
I am wondering out of the people who scored 90-100% how many of them have actually studied music? It would make sense people who are active in music in school would do better on this than those who haven't.

I am wondering out of the people who scored 90-100% how many of them have actually studied music? It would make sense people who are active in music in school would do better on this than those who haven't.
I have been in choirs since high school, but have never had a formal music theory class or anything of the like.

I studied music while I was in high school. I would venture a guess that there will be a high correlation but not 100%

I... don't get this, at all. Not one single bit. I have no idea how one answer is right over the other. At all. I have no idea how some of you got 100% it makes no sense! A few questions I could "relate" an image, but others I couldn't what so ever. Hell some of them feel completely wrong. It's also not that I don't "get" this either. I actually wrote a post about this sort of thing a year ago.

Yeah, I still don't understand this test one single iota, it feels really wrong to me in a lot of levels for some of the "answers":

Total Score: 35%
Pitch discrimination: 27.5%
Musical memory: 37.5%
Contour discrimination: 38.6%
Attention: 31.2%
Musical/visual abstraction: 39.6%

...wtf

The first time I did it I didn't have a clue what I was doing until the last few questions, I skipped all the tutorial stuff or w/e, so I nailed it 100% on my 2nd go. And if this helps with results, I do compose music and listen to music a lot. ^_^

TOTAL SCORE 100% Woop, I guess it's impossible to get 100% on everything then seeming as I got all the questions right. o_O

If I close my eyes and listen to a piece of music, I can actually see a visual of the music playing in my mind, with all sorts and shapes, and weird spirals, similar to windows media player visulisations, but much much more fitting for the song, iv'e even been chaced by music in my dreams before. That was 1 hell of an experience.

Thank you very much for posting this test, I really really enjoyed it. Freakishly enjoyed it actually.

Last edited:
I... don't get this, at all.

Yeah...I had no idea what the hell I was doing, none of them resonated with me, I just ended up picking at random for the most part.

Total Score: 25%

Pitch discrimination: 26.1%
Musical memory: 21.0%
Contour discrimination: 27.7%
Attention: 29.0%
Musical/visual abstraction: 18.1%

85% (17/20)

I had a harder time with the first few questions, but then I started to understand it.

The first time I did it I didn't have a clue what I was doing until the last few questions, I skipped all the tutorial stuff or w/e, so I nailed it 100% on my 2nd go. And if this helps with results, I do compose music and listen to music a lot. ^_^

If I close my eyes and listen to a piece of music, I can actually see a visual of the music playing in my mind, with all sorts and shapes, and weird spirals, similar to windows media player visulisations, but much much more fitting for the song, iv'e even been chaced by music in my dreams before. That was 1 hell of an experience.

Thank you very much for posting this test, I really really enjoyed it. Freakishly enjoyed it actually.

Hmm, I do that as well with songs if I actually focus on listening to a piece of music. All music has a story behind it and I kind of make a story to go with it

Hmm, I do that as well with songs if I actually focus on listening to a piece of music. All music has a story behind it and I kind of make a story to go with it

Sometimes the story can come spontaneously for me, it's as if the daydream is being created by my subconscious without any effort at all, all I need to be is relaxed. A conscious subconconscious daydream.

And the visualisations are amazing, it feels like I am being sucked into it. Very strange feelings from listening to songs, it's normally why I get intense shivers aswell. Normally spiral effects with the visualisations, and waves of energy. Happens if I am on my piano aswell, which feels amazing. ^_^

Sometimes the story can come spontaneously for me, it's as if the daydream is being created by my subconscious without any effort at all, all I need to be is relaxed. A conscious subconconscious daydream.

And the visualisations are amazing, it feels like I am being sucked into it. Very strange feelings from listening to songs, it's normally why I get intense shivers aswell.

I get this as well, it's much more physical for me then visual (the physical part is what I end up focusing more on). But I still get this. This is why I am confused about this test. I do relate sounds to images, very much so, but I still don't get this test at all.