Mormon missionaries are coming to my house on tuesday | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Mormon missionaries are coming to my house on tuesday

You seem like you might be braver than I am. If I could go back, I think I would question their reasoning more and try to figure out how much of it is really their own vs. what someone just told them to say (blind faith really, really bothers me), but I just didn't want to offend them.

Anyway, I'm being redundant. What I mean to say is that you should question those sorts of things. Because I would be interested in hearing their responses.

Yeah well- I won't be abrasive, I'm sure my dad will want to be because he's always liked to poke fun of the mormons and I'm friends with a couple of the mormons and -know- if I'm rude to them it will get back and they'll be all snooty. I get to go to free trips to st.geroge with these skeeters so it's worth it to me. But yes, I definitely will use tact. Maybe I should read the book of mormon before I question them- HA HA!

I found a good one!

Richard Dawkins claims in this vid that The Book Of Mormon was written in 17th century English even though it was written in the 19th century.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVI3QcCu8t0"]YouTube- Richard Dawkins on Mormonism, Joseph Smith, and Mitt Romney[/ame]

I'm sure they have an answer for it. I would really like to know what it is! Please, Slant!

Ask them if they offer free holidays to Guyana.

I ended up blowing them off because I am still deathly ill. It isn't even funny.

I don't know I have a cold so I think it is normal.

I'm a mormon and i think you should just ask them what their message is ^^ it's about God and lots of other good stuff :D

haha that was over a year ago.

Reactions: Jill Hives
I was dating a Mormon for a few months. Back then I thought we were in love and could rule out our religious views, or at least set them aside. The religion was not healthy for her. I always thought religion suppose to offer emotional support and comfort but it seemed to pull her world apart instead. She enjoyed sex but then in the morning she would tell me that she feels guilty and she will go to hell. Things like that. Also, somehow being a Mormon also means being an anti-abortionist and a load of other things I couldn't support (I am a pretty pretty liberal person, like to think of myself as an Anarchist with guidelines). Regardless, it was very turbulent and didn't work out in the end. I consider it being a fault of her parents that instilled into her ethics and morality not compatible to the outside world that overtime created so many personality issues (not the fault of us breaking up, but the fault of her struggles in life).
Interesting enough, her father used to smoke pot back in the 70s and was a reluctant main-stream Christian but decided to marry her mother and adopt the religion because they had so much love.. As of now he is the most fucked and unhappy male I ever knew, completely dominated and abused by his super-religious and often not making enough sense wife.
So, I don't know how it ties in together but I think what I am trying to say is that such religious people are impossible to argue with and even logical intelligent arguments lead ultimately to nowhere. I guess it's fun to meet them and hear them out, see some interesting perspectives within this Christian sect but otherwise, stay cool :D They do have some cool mythology and worldview worth hearing for sure.

OK, a 2 year old thread... I'll bite.

After living with and around them now for 2.5 years, I can see the good and bad side of their religion. It provides structure and order in an otherwise disorganized location of the country (Southwestern gunslinging cowboy mentality still rules many parts out there). If you look at the difference between some of the settlements they created vs the settlements the non-Mormons created in this part of the world, it's the difference between night and day.

It may be unfair to call them a group of ethnocentric bigots, but, hey... if the shoe fits! That's how they carved out their territory and kept outsiders at bay in the past. It carries over into modern times as well. I was born in a Puerto Rican neighborhood, 3rd generation Polish Irish American though. Despite that, moving out to Utah still made me fell like I wasn't quite "white" enough for the locals.

On the other hand, like any major religion, the people living in the large cities are rather lax about their religious views. Salt Lake City, for instance, has more "normal" Mormons than many of the towns outside of it.

Individually, I think Mormons are great people. They're friendly, courteous, have manners, etc. As a collective, I think the sooner they all get "beamed up" to whatever planet they're going to, the better off their neighbors will be!

Individually, I think Mormons are great people. They're friendly, courteous, have manners, etc. As a collective, I think the sooner they all get "beamed up" to whatever planet they're going to, the better off their neighbors will be!

Mormons aren't from Star Trek

I stand corrected and confused.