Meaningful Movies | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Meaningful Movies

Yield is a film major, you aren't going to get a clear answer out of him (I am friends with several film majors and they are ALL like this, ha!)

Yield is a film major, you aren't going to get a clear answer out of him (I am friends with several film majors and they are ALL like this, ha!)

Oh, okay, lol, that explains it :) Nice picture by the way.

:director:

Like what? :suspicious:

Big Fish

Breakfast Club. It's not necessarily the actual movie that I'm hung up on, only what it reminds me of. The threshold of adulthood, and the whole world at your feet.

Two of my favorite movies of all time that move me beyond words.

The Fountain

A movie about a man's quest towards immortality over a 1,000 year journey through several incarnations of himself; told through a perspective of mayan mythology. One of the most visually stunning films I've ever seen as well. Brilliantly, poetic and tragic film by Darren Aronofsky coupled with the glorious film score by Clint Mansell and the Kronos Quartet make this to be my favorite film of all time.

Into the Wild

A movie about a man coming into his own in a defiant, but liberating way. And truly living beyond the restraints of society and the limits of the modern man. Based on the book by Jon Krakauer.

:director:

Like what? :suspicious:

To me, a film, is a film, and pretty much nothing more (I am not a movie person anyway).

To you guys, if a film doesn't fit every little technical criteria that you look for in a film, it is inferior in some way and does not get much praise for it at all. You all see quite alot in films and as such are hard pressed to explain them in simple generalized terms. Everything has too much about it and thus can olny work for a complex answer from a complex question.

Anyone who is an "expert" in some kind of field is like this. As an indirect parallel, I am very much like this when it comes to chemicals, and most scientific theories.

To me, a film, is a film, and pretty much nothing more (I am not a movie person anyway).

To you guys, if a film doesn't fit every little technical criteria that you look for in a film, it is inferior in some way and does not get much praise for it at all. You all see quite alot in films and as such are hard pressed to explain them in simple generalized terms. Everything has too much about it and thus can olny work for a complex answer from a complex question.

Anyone who is an "expert" in some kind of field is like this. As an indirect parallel, I am very much like this when it comes to chemicals, and most scientific theories.

Honestly, I'm really not like that about it, I mean people like what they like. I just recognise film and all other types of media as powerful social, political and psychological tool from a money making/corporate point of view and a medium of artistic expression from a more liberal one. From the view of film as a tool then it should be analysed and understood as to understand the repercussions of it's use. As an artistic medium, it's all about the feeling. I don't care much for technicals just whether or not it emotionally grabs me.

I disagree that things can't be broken down into generalized terms. Why do you think media/film studies is so popular? It is a series of tags, boxes, labels and basic deconstructions of critical analysis used to help the human brain to sort, prioritise, break down and understand a given medium.

It's was 12am and I was trying to annoy the OP. I see I'll have to undo the bad rep I've given film makers!

Transformers

Honestly, I'm really not like that about it, I mean people like what they like. I just recognise film and all other types of media as powerful social, political and psychological tool from a money making/corporate point of view and a medium of artistic expression from a more liberal one. From the view of film as a tool then it should be analysed and understood as to understand the repercussions of it's use. As an artistic medium, it's all about the feeling. I don't care much for technicals just whether or not it emotionally grabs me.

I disagree that things can't be broken down into generalized terms. Why do you think media/film studies is so popular? It is a series of tags, boxes, labels and basic deconstructions of critical analysis used to help the human brain to sort, prioritise, break down and understand a given medium.

It's was 12am and I was trying to annoy the OP. I see I'll have to undo the bad rep I've given film makers!

Wether or not you see it, you just proved my point :tongue1: but I do understand what you are saying. And you didn't give film majors a bad rep. Most that I have met are actually either pretentious, boring, or both, and you most certaintly are not either of those. If anything, you restore my faith in them, haha (the worst majors in my opinion are architecture).

Yeah I see it. But look what I've done, I've actually started a meaningful discussion in a film thread (gasp!).

Well next time I talk about water and fruit juice mixing together and you come along all science-y on my shit... I'll be watching you.

Kingdom of Heavens
The Last Samurai
Maid of Honour

...these are from the top of my head, i am sure there's more

Debbie Does Dallas inspired a strong emotion.

Debbie Does Dallas inspired a strong emotion.

Yes, a heaving sigh of joy, release and mild confusion. I really had to hold onto the Kleenex box for that one.

Last edited:
Yeah, they go through so many problems in that film. Two incredibly attractive people meet, one of which happens to be an extremely good looking man who happens to come from the past because he doesn't like any of the air head broads from his time. He cross's paths with MEG RYAN and he helps her with her high flying advertising job, in which she probably get's paid loads. Then you get the narrative "curve" where something bad has to happen to enable conflict in which their "true love" really gets tested. It's really inspiring.

But I have to say I've loved it as well. I've seen it 3 times.

hahh its so clear that you're a film major! So its all basically a structure right? - I actually don't like to think of it as that, knowing that it is, makes it suck the cheer beauty of great movies!

Into the Wild

A movie about a man coming into his own in a defiant, but liberating way. And truly living beyond the restraints of society and the limits of the modern man. Based on the book by Jon Krakauer.
What a great movie!

The Basketball Diaries also are very deep to me. Probably just because of my personal history and how I relate to the story.

Yeah I see it. But look what I've done, I've actually started a meaningful discussion in a film thread (gasp!).

Well next time I talk about water and fruit juice mixing together and you come along all science-y on my shit... I'll be watching you.

hehe, I actually would have alot to say about that :D