MBTI type and religious preference... | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

MBTI type and religious preference...

Confused INFP.

I do not affiliate myself with any religion. I tend to lean towards believing in a Higher Power, though I'm open to questioning that. I follow many of the tenets of Buddhism, and I am spiritual to some degree, but I never fully accept my beliefs as absolute truths.

INFJ. Non-denominational Christian. Although I have been told by an atheist that my views are almost agnostic. This might be because my beliefs are built on faith and intuition with little or no rationale.

Undefined is probably the most accurate descriptor.
I suppose I'm a little pagan, buddhist, baha'i, and new age (not the commercialized "the secret" version) all rolled into one. Mostly, I subscribe to trying to live in a state of love for myself and all of creation, and to do my best and assign purpose to my life. That is more philosophical than religious, but it emerged through my spiritual leanings/learning.

Likely an INTP and I am an irreligious person raised by very Christian parents.

Likely ENTP--who knows..

Baptized Roman Catholic
I consider myself a heathen. That was the word used by the black coats to describe the savage indians of the New World.

I follow no oganized religion. I do not worship or deify Jesus nor do I believe in god as described by the Judeo-Christian faith.

I do not worship or deify Jesus nor do I believe in god as described by the Judeo-Christian faith.
Are you spiritual?

As for the OP, I grew up Christian, then went through a bout of confusion, and now I've let go of labels, so this is a good approximation:
Mysticism, immediate, direct, intuitive knowledge of God or of ultimate reality attained through personal religious experience. The authenticity of any such experience, however, does not depend on the form but solely on the quality of life that follows the experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal
I don't have a religion. I have a way of life.

I believe we have 4 Aspects of Being that encompass our existence---Physical, Emotional, Intellectual and Spiritual.

INFJ, I was raised Reform Jewish but have since tried to explore other alternatives without much success. I've decided that I desperately want some form of progressive organized religion in my life, I just have trouble finding the perfect match.

INFJ, I was raised Reform Jewish but have since tried to explore other alternatives without much success. I've decided that I desperately want some form of progressive organized religion in my life, I just have trouble finding the perfect match.

Probably one that empowers you

I believe we have 4 Aspects of Being that encompass our existence---Physical, Emotional, Intellectual and Spiritual.

What function does the spirit serve?

INFJ

I was raised muslim but now I would say I don't believe in religion but rather just a God/force so maybe a non-theist?

Just find it really hard to conform to any proper religion. I love learning and understanding all types of religions and philosophical views and like to believe in a mix of different theories; the reason why I find it really hard to believe in Islam even though raised in a strict environment is that no one could answer why things happened and by just asking why I was quickly judged in a bad way for not being religous and asking such questions. It just seemed that the people who i'd ask these questions themselves didn't know the answers and were just following a religon quite blindly. I just find it really hard to understand how people can follow a religion that they fully don't understand and feel that quite a few people are just born into religion rather than choosing religion.

Reactions: Kgal
Atheist/agnostic INTJ.

I not against the idea of a powerful entity. However, I don't believe that it would care one way or another about our existence.

I was born Lutheran, and tried everything else: Buddhism (complacency), witchcraft (meanness), Hinduism (elitist), etc. I'm Lutheran again for the last 15 years or so. I like it. It's the only religion started by an academic. It's rigorous and has lots of good answers. Plus, Luther was a very good writer. Not perhaps as good as St. Paul, but there's more of it, and it hits home. Also, all the Nordic countries are primarily Lutheran. There is a problem with racism in those countries but not if the races coming in are Lutheran. Lutheranism has a work ethic, hygiene, and a good distinction between what's possible in this world and in the next. It also allows for total freedom of inquiry. Science and philosophy have both come out of the Lutheran countries. Drawbacks: the food is too potato-based. I like potatoes, but please.

Spiritual INFJ. My belief is that there is God and truth in all religions, but we have not yet fully understood it.

Raised in a Christian household and converted to a branch of modern Paganism as a preteen. Both turned on me, and I turned on both of them. The last few years have been spent healing with friends similarly harmed or poisoned, and this is where I think I belong.

Not sure if this is what the op wants, but:

I don't know if I am any different than others, but have a keen sense of my surroundings. Been thought to pay attention, so that might help with noticing. But sometimes if I can get out of my head and watch things around me I can get a better understanding.

I studied physics looking for answers.
That created more questions but answered so many at the same time.

I was never brought up in a religious household. I was baptized catholic, but not sure I've ever been in a church.
I don't believe god is a person. I think it's inaccurate to address it directly. I think god is our collective consciences. I'm not sure where we came from. But it seem arrogant to suggest by chance. But that doesn't mean some powerful force created my life just for me.

While I know there is power in asking for help, and some would call that prayer, I have a problem with devine intervention. I've had out of body experiences, but like all things time tends to make you question and wonder if your imagination was in full bloom.
I tend to question my experiences because I have over active imagination.
Never sure what is real and what I made up. But at the time it seems very real. Been told I have potential as a medium. But not sure I know what that means. At least not viscerally. I haven't talked to the dead as far as I know. Nor really sure how they would communicate. I have had very lucid dreams. Conversations with some people I once knew and are dead. I wouldn't consider anything other than they were just dreams and fueled by my subconscious. Only strange thing is I remember conversations where stuff is revealed that I've never heard of. So not sure how my subconscious could have created it. But maybe I heard it somewhere and am completely unaware I did. But I remember the feelings of surprise. And once I remember a long conversation with a girl I once knew and she told me stuff I later found out was true. So that freaks be out, but I assume dreams are powerful and I guess that makes the experience easy to dismiss. But it happens more than once.

I think we will one day understand how our consciousness drive the world around us. And I think we will learn we are all connected in a universal conscious. I'm pretty sure we continue on after this life, or experience. I don't like to refer to time because I'm convinced it only exists as something we create and not a part of the world when we die or leave our bodies while still alive.

I think religion was created to control people. When religions were formed, there weren't many cops or police around to control things. Religion served to developed a conscious and keep each other from killing and stealing. I think religion only serves to keep people without hope from losing it all together. But I think religion also keeps people from finding truths. They stop looking cause someone gave them the answers.

I think we are all capable of feeling or sensing the forces around us. But they aren't as pronounced as you'd expect and so they are easy to ignore. But people should spend more time alone paying attention if they want to learn what is all around us. This world has hurt us. All the distractions and stress that fills our minds and every thought push us farther away from being in touch with our brief existence. Again the time thing doesn't really mean anything so I hate the context, but don't know how else to express the idea.

INFJ & Buddhist
meditate.gif

I am INFJ. I will not subscribe to any denomination or religion as they are man-made and man-ran. I even almost refuse to use the word "Christian" but instead will say that I believe we are to be Christ followers. A lot of denomination and religions are in all actuality cults and therefore I have seen people be destroyed by the very religion they once protected. I have had a hard time with this as I was raised Baptist and I hear more times than I need that I should be in church. I just think shouldn't we be out helping others and being good people instead of in church listening to someone preach about being a good person? I will also not condemn someone for their beliefs as something brought them to that point. I do believe we should always question what we think, what we believe, but I never have questioned the existence of God and the sacrifice of Christ. Those two things I know for me are reality and truth.

INFP-Atheist/Agnostic

Raised/baptized Roman Catholic, found it repulsive once I was old enough to make up my own mind. Dabbled a bit with Wicca and Taoism but neither really fit, also tried Lutheran for a little while and it was far more tolerable than Catholicism, but again, I couldn't get past the questioning and the nagging feeling that it was all a load of horse crap (no offense to anyone, that's just my opinion). For some, religion brings hope and comfort. For me, it's always been the opposite; It brings stress, deception, and discomfort.