MBTI type and religious preference... | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

MBTI type and religious preference...

INFJ. Theist. Catholic, but a non-practicing one. I was baptized Roman Catholic but wasn't really raised in that way (the go to mass, read the Bible, memorize all those prayers stuff) because my parents are also not active in Catholicism. When I was a kid, my belief that there is God was mostly influenced by the belief of others. But when adolescence came, I think I discovered God on my own. So I guess I'm spiritual though I'm definitely not religious. Sometimes, I go to Church though, to pray but never to attend mass. I like the feeling of being alone in a Church or in a Chapel.

Last edited:
INFP. Agnostic. Skeptic. Curious.

As a child, my parents told me that religion was something for me to decide for myself, when I was older, and was none of their business as it concerned rearing me.

I have found something of profound value in every perennial wisdom tradition I have ever explored, but I have never had the sense any of them were “the way,†to the exclusion of others.

Given my interests and attitudes as of late, part of me suspects (much to my surprise) there is a Catholic in me dying to get out.

But I have my doubts.

Namaste,
Ian

INFJ -- I dunno what you'd call me. I edited my response because talking about it is awkward and personal and makes me feeeeeel funny.

Last edited:
INFJ - Christian (Eastern Orthodox). I was raised in a non-religious family but became a Christian while a teenager. I was Protestant for 27 years or so but never quite fit in completely. I always felt a little tension between the fact that God loves us but, at the same time, he was always portrayed as a seething culdron of anger that needed to be pacified - something did not seem correct in that (I mean, when my children do wrong, I don't want to sadistically punish them...I love them and want to teach them; if I felt this way, how much more most God feel something like this?). Also, the Protestant Church in America (and this is just my opinion) seems very shallow and everything seems to just be beliefs in your mind that does not really affect your lifestyle too much.

When I was 40 years old, I retired from the Air Force after almost 21 years and went to Seminary. It was while I was in Seminary that I realized I just was not Protestant so I quit seminary and decided to stop going to church since I thought the only options were the protestant Churches or the Catholic Church (which, I ended up liking the Catholic Church but, since you had to agree 100% with their dogma, I could not in good conscious join them since I did not believe in the infallability of the Pope and two or three other things).

Anyway, to end this, I never ceased believing in God and believing that He is love (not that He has love but IS love itself; a conscious energy that IS love) but I could not accept the shallow, pop-religion of American Protestantism (which is a syncretic blend of American culture, American politics and qausi-Christianity, IMO). After several months of this, I happened upon the Eastern Orthodox Church and, after studying about it for some months, finally visited a Church and loved it. I love the room for mystery, the litugical beauty, the fact that God is portrayed as love, the fact that the Orthodox believe that truth can be found everywhere - even in religions that differ from ours (not that it says they are completely correct but it is willing to acknowledge the correct points without feeling the need to fight against it). Anyway, for me, it was home. Of course, it is not perfect - anything humans touch will be or get flawed just by the fact of our involment - but I still love it.

Raised Roman Catholic but by the time I was 17 began calling myself agnostic. Still not sure if the Transcendent is not a trick of the mind and am fascinated by the roots of consciousness in biology. I like Jung's distinction between religion and creed. Most of us that ascribe to a religion are actually professing an agreement with and a love of a creed. Religion means a direct personal experience with the or a divinity. Which is where I lapse back into agnosticism as it is difficult to accept that anything we experience is not manufactured subjectively.
Religion is what separates us from each other and God
[i would use the word creed instead]

The perception of reality seems to be the crux of religiosity which has made me respect Buddhism and drawn me to a depth psychology Buddhist hybrid world view. I especially like the current thinking of cosmologist regarding the multi-verse. It leaves open so many possibilities...maybe there is a planet for each of us to be king or queen of....

Went to a school which belonged to "The Society Of Jesus". I deeply admire them, good guys for the most part, with some some exceptions, but pretty open minded, much more concerned with express their faith through action like helping others instead of discussing what's good or bad, or what makes Jesus cry, and what makes him smile. I've never felt judged by them in any way, i made my confessions gladly, i was friends with the ministers who went to my school and i read the bible gladly, and i'm re-reading it now just for fun.
I believed in god then, not now, it's nothing serious, the world is just full of crap (the church is no exception) and i don't think god exists, i bounce between atheist and agnostic. And i'm an INFJ, i've seen thinkers being more prone to atheism overall. Sensors don't seem to care that much about labeling themselves, but the ones who do have some faith, seemed to be much more convincing than the intuitives, having a couple of persons in mind.

INxJ

I was baptized and raised Roman Catholic for a while. When I hit my teens I was an athiest for a while until I became agnostic soon after high school. The last few years, I would identify myself as somewhere between animism and shamanism.

I wonder did I post in this thread already?

Born into catholicism, went pentecostal, then agnostic atheist in attempt to clear the slate, to make it blank again, but alas I could not deny that I was an agnostic theist. Truth be told, these almost ridiculous labels mean little to me, but it is the best way I can get the point a-cross. okay, I'm not even using them very well, but that's not what I mean to say. I went into the eastern religions, tibetan buddhism, the noble eight-fold path, smartist hinduism, new age philosophies, neopagan practice, I dove into Sarte's existentialism, Kant, incorporated practice and guidelines such as avoidance of black magick, abstinence from drugs, the increasingly commonplace toxic substances in nearly anything, and unhealthy lifestyles; celibacy, fasting and prayer; attempting communication and discernment of spirits; learning shamanist, voodoo, dischordian and alchemical philosophy; study of norse, greek, abrahamic, and hindu mythology . . . . all of these areas I continue to learn about and these bring me back -- full circle -- to my christian roots, and this worldview is being integrated and reformed constantly. The goal is to live a selfless life unbound by the grips of the reptilian, egotistical Devil-brain, the genius, obsessive, paranoid, controlling and power-hungry potential within all man, that we are born into, which has been reinforced for millions of years, and is my closest conception of original sin... Testing everything, and holding onto the good in order to remain connected to Unconditional Love who I make my Lord and Saviour, to live a selfless life. I suppose I made Love my God before I understood that God is Love. I am a seeker of gnowledge, and so far I have primarily learned that I gnow just about NOTHING, and I am learning also to be comfortable with that. So, I believe myself to be a christian, and I try to live it to the fullest. It is extremely difficult to do it right, yet it is easier than anything. I refrain from calling myself a christian when I meet new people, because I do not wish that anyone be prone to making assumptions about my political, social, and economical stances when they hear the word "christian," as is unfortunately the case. To properly answer the question with labels, taoism and christianity are the belief systems I employ the most and am familiar with, and my wonder dives into the mystical aspects of these beliefs many times, every day. I am constantly putting forward an intention to be in communion with the everlasting, transcendent path of life; I'm talking about Love, I'm talking about God, I'm talking about . . . the Borneless One Beyond the Night of Time. In regards to world religions as a social phenomenon, I'd say that apparent contradiction and paradox within frameworks of orthodoxy are what attract me the most (while also being most repulsive).

I still have not properly answered your question, and I feel that the more I attempt to describe my faith, the more I expunge the meaning of what I wish to communicate. I'll give it one more shot:

I never feel alone anymore.

...oh and uh, I try to go to churches at least one every two weeks, and there are scripture studies and philosophy lectures I enjoy attending -- often I find classes blessed with dynamic teachers willing to elaborate and answer questions. The more I seek, the more I find. :)

final note : Keep fightin' Babylon!