MBTI Misconceptions | INFJ Forum

MBTI Misconceptions

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
MBTI Misconceptions/Tips

This is a thread to discuss and clear up any misconceptions you've noticed out there related to MBTI. Feel free to add your own, athough I will debate it if I disagree and feel free to correct my suggestions also. :D Hopefully this will help others when trying to type or understand people better.

So here goes:

• Similar preferences make for similar types- False Example: An INFP is not a "lazy/messy/laidback" version of an INFJ, they might seem superficially similar but they are actually very different in terms of cognitive processes (CPs) and the preferences (T vs F, J vs P etc.) were based on the CPs (Fi, Ni, Te etc.) so the CPs are therefore of greater importance. You have to look at each type as a whole, chopping and changing letters is a shortcut that will just create inaccuracy and confusion. I strongly suggest studying up on cognitive processes before typing yourself and others.
  • Ts are unemotional and Fs are emotionally expressive- False The difference between the two does not indicate whether or not someone experiences emotions or not but whether someone considers the emotions of others in decision making. I am an Fi dominant yet I rarely show emotion, it makes sense, my feeling is directed inwards, I have no need to express it outwardly, yet what makes me an F is that I consider the feelings of others even when I have no feelings about the matter at hand. So a strong T who cries all the time would still fit the theory just fine.
  • [placeholder] feeling lazy now...

Last edited:
That is so true about the "T" - people forget that I do have feelings and that I care VERY DEEPLY for others ... I cry at movies, I cry when reading a book, heck my son constantly laughs at me because I cry so much! I also get angrier than others do, I laugh louder than others and I hate more viciously than anyone cares to imagine. I just don't take ANY of these emotions into account when decision making. Its very hard to do sometimes, but more often than not I succeed.

That is so true about the "T" - people forget that I do have feelings and that I care VERY DEEPLY for others ... I cry at movies, I cry when reading a book, heck my son constantly laughs at me because I cry so much! I also get angrier than others do, I laugh louder than others and I hate more viciously than anyone cares to imagine. I just don't take ANY of these emotions into account when decision making. Its very hard to do sometimes, but more often than not I succeed.

That seems soooooo counter intuitive to me! Thats amazing :)

• Similar preferences make for similar types- False Example: An INFP is not a "lazy/messy/laidback" version of an INFJ, they might seem superficially similar but they are actually very different in terms of cognitive processes (CPs) and the preferences (T vs F, J vs P etc.) were based on the CPs (Fi, Ni, Te etc.) so the CPs are therefore of greater importance. You have to look at each type as a whole, chopping and changing letters is a shortcut that will just create inaccuracy and confusion. I strongly suggest studying up on cognitive processes before typing yourself and others.
  • So are you INFP? According to cognitive processes INFJ = Ni>Fe>Ti>Se and INFP = Fi>Ne>Si>Te. [note I provided links to both the general wiki and cognitive processes site].

• Ts are unemotional and Fs are emotionally expressive- False The difference between the two does not indicate whether or not someone experiences emotions or not but whether someone considers the emotions of others in decision making. I am an Fi dominant yet I rarely show emotion, it makes sense, my feeling is directed inwards, I have no need to express it outwardly, yet what makes me an F is that I consider the feelings of others even when I have no feelings about the matter at hand. So a strong T who cries all the time would still fit the theory just fine.
  • Well said.. I am Ni dominant with auxillary Te.. Yet my tertiary function of Fi allows for Ni to flourish, with that "intuition" that we can all rally to. As a 'T' I can vouch for 'T's not necessarily valuing ethical consideration, as being of primary, (nor even secondary) importance. Yet I work happily in a role which has the primary concern of caring [ethically] for others.

Last edited by a moderator:

*T-bot Fe hi-five* Yay for emo Tees! :bump2:

Cool thread Quin. The functions part is Trrrrue!

• Extraversion does NOT equal outgoingness as introversion does NOT equal unsocialibility or shyness.
  • Intuition does NOT imply intelligence.

:nod:

Quin is Fi dominant sensor as in ISFP :wink:
Thanks for that.. I was being mislead by the listing in the OP..
Hey, that is pretty impressive. Or I am sleep deprived, either way. Good job Quinlan.

*T-bot Fe hi-five* Yay for emo Tees! :bump2:

Cool thread Quin. The functions part is Trrrrue!

• Extraversion does NOT equal outgoingness as introversion does NOT equal unsocialibility or shyness.
  • Intuition does NOT imply intelligence.

:nod:
I agree. One of my friends is an INTP with an IQ of 100, wheras I usually get around 140 on IQ tests. I know an ENTP who often comes across as dumb to others, but is actually quite smart in his own ENTP way (generating ideas spontaneously).

I've also met an ENTP who I had at first mistaken for an I, because he seemed to have some reserve around others, whereas the INTP does not.

I also know an INTJ female who is used to dominating social situations in her own reserved INTJ way, but is actually quite feely underneath it all. Tertiary Fi is both mysterious, alluring, and even a little bit shocking when an ITJ shows it.

Hey Nephalim, I have heard that INTJs often have trouble reading feeling cues (instinct, limbic energy) from their environment. Is this true?

So, what is the way you determine E or I, Lurker?

Hey, you lurk lots :yo:

If you look at MBTI it's based on where you put your attention and get your energy. Extraverts like to spend time in the outer world of people and things and introverts in their inner world. To be honest I'm looking at socionics definitions of intro/extra at the moment as I've been confused over my own I/E and have found that clearer.

As this is a MBTI forum and specifically a thread talking about MBTI misconceptions I'll post something here in my blog.

Lurker: Do you think that the Socionics definition is compatible with the MBTI?

No. In the sense that I don't believe they should be compared.

[*]So are you INFP? According to cognitive processes INFJ = Ni>Fe>Ti>Se and INFP = Fi>Ne>Si>Te. [note I provided links to both the general wiki and cognitive processes site].
[/list]

Like Lurker said I'm ISFP, the INFP/INFJ thing was just one example as it applies when comparing all types.

Intuition does NOT imply intelligence.

Ohhh I love this one :D, you're absolutely right, when people are typing an intelligent person they often immediately jump to the N conclusion without giving it much thought. Each type has the potential to be very intelligent (also multiple intelligences will most likely be distributed in different ways throughout the types). Same goes for creativity...

ISTPs often leave me in awe of their mechanical intelligence.

• Ok here is a word of caution about the N preference taken from 16type.com
    In our work, we have found that a vast number of_ S_Ps select "N" responses rather than the "S" responses on the MBTI® , Their behavior and reports have been taken as typical of those with a preference for N. Because of not using the added information in the temperament model or not paying close attention to Jung's definitions and Myers descriptions, the observations of people with _S_P preferences have filtered back into the mainstream definitions of N. When we go back to Jung's descriptions, we find these descriptions have veered off course from the original meaning.
and

When the _NF_ descriptions are lacking the abstract focus on meaning and purpose, they do not differentiate between Idealist temperament and the Feeling function.

Us SPs seem to have broken mbti a bit by often selecting N responses in the mbti. We then think we are Ns and go around telling people what it is to be N when we actually have no idea (like my early days on the forum). So now information about the N preference on the interent is often riddled with descriptions of SPness or Fness. I often relate really well to inaccurate NF descriptions. :doh:

So before you decide that you are certainly an N make sure you fully explore the SPs types, you might just be one (the horror)! :thumb:

Last edited:
So before you decide that you are certainly an N make sure you fully explore the SPs types, you might just be one (the horror)! :thumb:

Haha, oh trust me, I am definitely an N.

...or the J, as he is so certain of his decision... ;)

Cmon, come to the dark side! :D

I don't know about that Quinlan.. The J function is Fe. So should he get the impression that others sense his intuition?
N in itself is not quite as pragmatic, but when combined with the right functions it can be thoroughly accurate.

For example, a solid Ni will be convinced of their intuited knowledge, and use the auxiliary function to achieve supporting evidence (if required). Well, at least with some.

I was kidding Neph! :D

There is no doubting your INTJness.:thumb: