MBTI Misconceptions | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

MBTI Misconceptions

I just want to work something out in my head. INFJ's start with Ni, and INFP's start with Fi, by that you would think that their J's and P's are in the wrong place. But if you go to the next functions, Fe, and Ne respectivly. Then you have them in the right place.

So the way I see it, the first extroverted function that appears (first or second), is what denotes the J or P prefrence. That would explain why I have always thought that Ni was way more "judging" then Fi (I sort of came to this conclusion by watching myself, and others), when infact it is because they are expressed more often then not by Fe and Ne resecvly. I still sort of feel Ni is more judging, but I think it is just because I am refrencing myself.

Basically more or less. I think that's the difference between socionics and MBTI when they're dealing with cognitive functions; often, you switch the J and the P on introverted types, as seen:

INFJ : Ni Fe Ti Se
INFP : Fi Ne Si Te
ENFJ: Fe Ni Se Ti

MBTI: In the first two functions, the judging function (f/t) and whether they are extroverted or introverted (Fe/Fi) determine whether the person is judging. In other words, if their judging function is extroverted, then the person is a judging type, and if they have an extroverted percieving (n/s) function, then they are P.

Socionics: They look at the first function. An extroverted type always has their extroverted function first, so the types coincide (according to function; they matrices are different in other ways, so although the functions are the "same" the type might still have differences, so this only works for a rough estimate sort of thing). However, in an introverted type, their extroverted function is the second, therefore you would switch the j/p; since Ni is INFJ's first function, and is a percieving function, then in socionics INFJ coincides with the INFp function order.

In either case, the first two functions are the ones that determine type; the other two really don't matter. You can tell a person's type by their functions with this (ie which is dominate, and which is extroverted)

This is all kind of irrelevant, but I noticed it a couple months ago and thought it was kind of interesting.

Last edited:
Von Hase,

You say that everyone uses all of the J functions, regardless of type, when reasoning. Does that mean that if there is a reasoning question that's supposed to test for, let's say, Ti, you could use any one of the J functions to answer (or maybe I should say interpret) it?

I don't really understand your next sentence: "The distinctions are in preferences in deduction process, not distinctions in function or capacity." Let's take the reasoning question I mentioned above as an example, are you saying that such a question would not be able to make distinctions in the J functions (it won't be able to tell you which J function you're actually "using") or their capacity, but only which J function is used to understand that question first (which depends on your type), and that you will go on to use your other J functions to understand it in the order determined by your type?

I agree with you that to say someone is Fe dominant does not mean they cannot access the other J functions, but you go on to that this because Fe, Te, Fi, and Ti don't actually exist as entities. Why do you say so? Then you say that the cognitive processes are T, F, i, and e. How did you come to this conclusion, is it only to explain the results people have gotten on the InterStrength Cognitive Assessment or are there any other places (besides tests) where you can observe this phenomenon? From what I understand, the 4 functions and 2 attitudes are never observed in isolation, do you have a description of the "elements" T, F, i, and e; or is this separation artificial, only a way of explaining the test results?

You say that the pairs formed when these cognitive function elements combine are not distinct sections of the mind, nor are the elements that comprise them, then go on to say that they are all parts of the whole that is an individual's ability to reason - half of the process of cognition. Are you trying to say that the distinctions between Ti, Fe, Te, and Fi are not important; and that we should be concentrating on the process of reasoning as a whole instead? Anyway, what do you mean by "distinct sections of the mind"? Are you saying that the "territory" of Fe (for example) also "stretches" into the "territory" of Fi, Ti, and even Te?

Later on, you say that capacity and function with cognitive processes are almost irrelevent to personality. By capacity, you mean how often (and probably how gracefully) you use a particular cognitive process, right? But what do you mean by function, are you referring to what activity you "use" a particular process in (or for)? Would I be misunderstanding you if I said that the 8 cognitive processes have no content (and do not determine the behaviors that're often associated with them)?

I'm sorry for the rather long post, but I hope you'll reply and help me understand your theory better. Thanks :)

Von Hase, You say that everyone uses all of the J functions, regardless of type, when reasoning. Does that mean that if there is a reasoning question that's supposed to test for, let's say, Ti, you could use any one of the J functions to answer (or maybe I should say interpret) it?

Yes. Interpret is also a very apt word choice.

The mind uses all functions at the same time, and in most instances, one function is almost as effective as another to provide a solution, allowing people to stick with their prefered pair as the leading function.

However, some tasks are inherently very oriented toward specific function pairs. Self assessment tests are primarily a trigger for Ti as they urge an individual to ponder (very T) how they work (very i). To a lesser degree focused Fe can be triggered by self assessment tests because Fe is prone to reflexively answer based on how an individual feels the subjects of the questions should be. To use focused Te in a self assessment test, an individual would have to 'stop and think' about themselves in relation to the subjects of the questions. To use focused Fi in a self assessment test, an individual would have to be emotionally engaged by the test and simply react. Any function pair could lead the reasoning process in this situation, though Ti is going to be the likely candidate, even for people who don't have Ti as their lead J pair.

Regardless, all of the function pairs are working at all times. The distinctions come from how much preference any function is given in any situation. They are all in use, but we lean more on our favored pair unless another pair would make the process easier for us, at which point we lean on it instead.

I don't really understand your next sentence: "The distinctions are in preferences in deduction process, not distinctions in function or capacity." Let's take the reasoning question I mentioned above as an example, are you saying that such a question would not be able to make distinctions in the J functions (it won't be able to tell you which J function you're actually "using") or their capacity, but only which J function is used to understand that question first (which depends on your type), and that you will go on to use your other J functions to understand it in the order determined by your type?

Questions can be formed to do a good job of isolating function pairs, but the whole J function is used with preference and dominance to each function in its own place, not exclusion and monopoly. I think a good analogy is left and right handedness when doing something that requires both hands. You use not only both of your hands, but also your whole body - nervous system, arms, spine, senses to let you know what your hands are doing... etc. However, at some point in that process, it will become clear which hand you give preference to for that function. In another situation, you might prefer the other hand. I swing a bat with preference to my right hand, but I shoot a rifle with preference to my left hand. In both cases, I'm using my whole body, but either hand is the dominant body part for that task.

I agree with you that to say someone is Fe dominant does not mean they cannot access the other J functions, but you go on to that this because Fe, Te, Fi, and Ti don't actually exist as entities. Why do you say so? Then you say that the cognitive processes are T, F, i, and e. How did you come to this conclusion, is it only to explain the results people have gotten on the InterStrength Cognitive Assessment or are there any other places (besides tests) where you can observe this phenomenon? From what I understand, the 4 functions and 2 attitudes are never observed in isolation, do you have a description of the "elements" T, F, i, and e; or is this separation artificial, only a way of explaining the test results?

Because it is so difficult to isolate the function pairs, it is almost impossible to isolate the elements that comprise them. However, time and time again, in people, in test results (especially the MBTI), and in various related schools of thought on thought processes, it is self evident that these elements are distinct. However, they naturally pair with attitudes. Deconstructing the J function into its parts is the focus of most MBTI/Jung enthusiasts, but don't forget that these parts make a whole system - which is what we are trying to understand more clearly with these tools.

You say that the pairs formed when these cognitive function elements combine are not distinct sections of the mind, nor are the elements that comprise them, then go on to say that they are all parts of the whole that is an individual's ability to reason - half of the process of cognition. Are you trying to say that the distinctions between Ti, Fe, Te, and Fi are not important; and that we should be concentrating on the process of reasoning as a whole instead? Anyway, what do you mean by "distinct sections of the mind"? Are you saying that the "territory" of Fe (for example) also "stretches" into the "territory" of Fi, Ti, and even Te?

I'm saying that they are parts of a whole. If you want to understand the whole, you have to understand the parts. However, these are not distinct parts. There is a significant amount of gradient between them, and connecting them. If the J function was a land mass that had desert, mountains, plains, and forests, there would not be a clear distinct line between these territories. At some point, you'd not be in the plains anymore, and in the desert. At some point the forest would slowly give way to the mountains. There would certainly be regions that are distinctly their own, but there would also be a lot of overlap and blending. The Te, Ti, Fe, and Fi functions are much like this, but they are always made up of the T, F, i, and e elements. Forests or deserts might have flat land like plains or steep land like mountains. Mountains might be covered in plant life like a forest, or exposed to the raw snow and sun like a desert. Plains could be open tracks of dirt like a desert or a sea of waving grass taller than a person resembling a forest. These parts are both interchangeable and inseparable. Most importantly, these parts make up the land mass itself.

When you drive from one state to another, often the only distinction you have is a sign that someone put up to mark the point at which someone decided the division occurs. There's not a whole lot different about the land on one side or the other of a state line. However, when you go deeper into that state, you begin to get a true feel for the state itself. But all the states together make the nation, and it is only when the states interact with one another is it truly whole.

Later on, you say that capacity and function with cognitive processes are almost irrelevent to personality. By capacity, you mean how often (and probably how gracefully) you use a particular cognitive process, right? But what do you mean by function, are you referring to what activity you "use" a particular process in (or for)? Would I be misunderstanding you if I said that the 8 cognitive processes have no content (and do not determine the behaviors that're often associated with them)?

Capacity with a cognitive process would be how strongly an individual used the process, when they used it.
Function with a cognitive processs would be how well an indivisual used the process, when they used it.

Neither of these have direct bearing on preference, though they are often (but certainly not always) related, because people tend to gain more capacity and function with the processes they prefer to use the most.

The 8 cognitive processes certainly have content, but their contents overlap greatly, and invoke one another frequently as they are parts of a whole. A car has many parts. Most importantly, every car has required parts that they all need to operate. When not put together, the parts cannot perform any of the functions of a car. It doesn't matter how well built those parts are, or how well they perform. If they're not assembled, the car doesn't work. Some cars have better speed, others more power, others more style, and still others more comfort. They are all cars, and they are all made up of the same basic parts. Certainly, all of these cars have their own unique parts that give them more advanced functionality, but these are analogeous to the individual. The MBTI analogy would simply address the required parts inherent to all cars. When one of these parts is given primary preference in design, and another secondary preference in design, the role (aka personality) of the car becomes clear. When a car focuses on gas mileage and comfort, it's role is likely that of a travelling car. There might be many 'travelling car' models on the road, each with their own levels of performance from their required parts. Some travelling cars might have better speed parts than 'racing cars', or better handling than 'sports cars'. It doesn't change the fact that their inherent role is a 'travelling car', but most importantly... it's a car. Just like all cars, you drive it places, and then you park it until you want to drive it again. The preferences are what give it personality, not performance.

I'm sorry for the rather long post, but I hope you'll reply and help me understand your theory better. Thanks :)

Not a problem. I'm always happy to help people learn. (Cuz I'm secretly an eNFJ, muhuhahahaha)

Last edited:
Von Hase, so when must we think of the J functions as a whole and when must we make distinctions between Ti, Fe, Te, and Fi?

There's another thing I would like to ask you. You believe that the hierarchy of functions that the MBTI predicts for the 16 types are indicators of which of the 8 function will be used first when approaching a problem (if that problem can't be solve with the process you're using you go on to try on the next in the hierarchy until you find one that fits) and which would be given precedence if there're conflicting "opinions" (or should I say, points of view) from the "lower" functions, right? Have you found any other interpretation of the hierarchy of functions other than the 2 I have mentioned above?

Last edited:
They're around. Not many on this forum though. On others they're in abundance.

Von Hase, so when must we think of the J functions as a whole and when must we make distinctions between Ti, Fe, Te, and Fi?

Always, and at the same time.

I attached a graphic to better illustrate what I am saying. If each of the 4 J functions are represented by colors, we cannot assume the mind's ability to reason to be 4 distinct sections, because the J function is comprised of those elements in a swirl and torrent of activity, unique to each individual. Some people have more of a blue color moving around in there, while another more green, or purple. But all of us have all of these colors swirling around in our minds as we reason. What makes our personalities what they are is which color scheme we tend to choose when they are clashing.

There's another thing I would like to ask you. You believe that the hierarchy of functions that the MBTI predicts for the 16 types are indicators of which of the 8 function will be used first when approaching a problem (if that problem can't be solve with the process you're using you go on to try on the next in the hierarchy until you find one that fits) and which would be given precedence if there're conflicting "opinions" (or should I say, points of view) from the "lower" functions, right? Have you found any other interpretation of the hierarchy of functions other than the 2 I have mentioned above?

Yes! You're stepping into the genuine theory behind the jargon here. :m107:

The higher preference functions are almost always awarded preference when a lower function disagrees with them in the cognitive process. This is how they create the basis for personality. One person will lean more toward their Ti, while another toward their Fe, etc. If there is no clear solution, people will move toward the solution they prefer.

http://www.bestfittype.com/cognitiveprocesses.html
http://www.bestfittype.com/cognitiveprocesses/16types.html

Von Hase,

You said that only when the states interact with one another is it truly whole. Are you saying that only the J functions can interact with one another to produce a whole J function entity, what about the P functions?

Thank you for answering my questions. I'll take time to re-read your explanations and see if there's any other places that I don't understand.

Last edited:
Yes. Interpret is also a very apt word choice.

The mind uses all functions at the same time, and in most instances, one function is almost as effective as another to provide a solution, allowing people to stick with their prefered pair as the leading function.

However, some tasks are inherently very oriented toward specific function pairs.
When I read what you write on MBTI I am always partly referencing it to Astrology, which is my preferred tool for delving into the psyche and comtemplating its complexities.
I am not comparing the two systems here, rather I see similarities on how you and I explain the interpretation of each particular system. I attempt to impart that fact to others that all the planets in a chart are present at all times, though there are favoured planetary potentials - and their interconnections with other planets/points - utilised in various areas of life.

What struck me with this post of yours is that I have used almost identical examples as some of the ones quoted below. These examples could have come from my own thoughts. :D

Regardless, all of the function pairs are working at all times. The distinctions come from how much preference any function is given in any situation. They are all in use, but we lean more on our favored pair unless another pair would make the process easier for us, at which point we lean on it instead.
In this quote, replace 'function' with 'planetary potentials' and this is how I would relate the functioning of a chart to someone.

but don't forget that these parts make a whole system - which is what we are trying to understand more clearly with these tools.
I'm saying that they are parts of a whole. If you want to understand the whole, you have to understand the parts. However, these are not distinct parts. There is a significant amount of gradient between them, and connecting them.
I have used almost the very same words from both these quotes.

Forests or deserts might have flat land like plains or steep land like mountains. Mountains might be covered in plant life like a forest, or exposed to the raw snow and sun like a desert. Plains could be open tracks of dirt like a desert or a sea of waving grass taller than a person resembling a forest. These parts are both interchangeable and inseparable. Most importantly, these parts make up the land mass itself.
Ha! :D I like this and may 'borrow' it from you.

Capacity with a cognitive process would be how strongly an individual used the process, when they used it.
Hmmm... perhaps related to Planet in Sign.

Function with a cognitive processs would be how well an indivisual used the process, when they used it.
Perhaps related to Planet in House.

The 8 cognitive processes certainly have content, but their contents overlap greatly, and invoke one another frequently as they are parts of a whole.
Precisely the way planetary potentials in an astrological chart work.

A car has many parts. Most importantly, every car has required parts that they all need to operate. When not put together, the parts cannot perform any of the functions of a car. It doesn't matter how well built those parts are, or how well they perform. If they're not assembled, the car doesn't work. Some cars have better speed, others more power, others more style, and still others more comfort. They are all cars, and they are all made up of the same basic parts. Certainly, all of these cars have their own unique parts that give them more advanced functionality, but these are analogeous to the individual. The MBTI analogy would simply address the required parts inherent to all cars. When one of these parts is given primary preference in design, and another secondary preference in design, the role (aka personality) of the car becomes clear. When a car focuses on gas mileage and comfort, it's role is likely that of a travelling car. There might be many 'travelling car' models on the road, each with their own levels of performance from their required parts. Some travelling cars might have better speed parts than 'racing cars', or better handling than 'sports cars'. It doesn't change the fact that their inherent role is a 'travelling car', but most importantly... it's a car. Just like all cars, you drive it places, and then you park it until you want to drive it again. The preferences are what give it personality, not performance.
Another analogy I have used, though not to this extent in explanation. This is exceptional and another one I may 'borrow'. *ahem*:m083:

What I see is two different approaches to the same end, understanding of the human psyche and its interaction in the world. Your approach, if I may make assumptions here, is intuitive and scientific, whereas mine is intuitive and esoteric.
Reading your explanations on this Forum has not only enlightened me on MBTI, which I sorely lack in, but has broadened my own understanding of Astrology by looking at it in the light of MBTI.

Last edited:
However, F cannot exist without T and T cannot exist without F, because they are both parts of the overall J function. T has to have philosophical reasoning, or it could not grasp anything that is not perfectly logical. F has to have logical reasoning, or it would be purely reactive unassociated instinct.

Tangential question:

Would it be correct to say then that T = Computer, F = Animal, and T+F = Human?
I'm not really wanting to get into animals that have certain amounts of T, or computer algorithms that emulate F - this is just a quick question to test my own understanding.

EDIT: PG, no - you can't have T without F or i without e. Doesn't work in people like that. And that image Von posted is analogy only - not to be taken literally. You've got a healthy brain! ^_^
(Watch out for zombies!)

Last edited:
That is just disgusting, so its basically saying that my left side brain is dead tissue ?

No, and you're still not retarded. (despite all your protests to the contrary. :mpoke: )

Fi and Fe cannot engage in verbal communication, math, nor read or write on their own. If your T functions were dead tissue, then you wouldn't be having this conversation with us. Your test results that indicate a low T preference are simply stating that you prefer your F functions much more over your T functions when they come into conflict. Clearly, you have a healthy functioning brain.

Last edited:
What I see is two different approaches to the same end, understanding of the human psyche and its interaction in the world. Your approach, if I may make assumptions here, is intuitive and scientific, whereas mine is intuitive and esoteric.

You may, and you are correct. Though some would argue that psychology is just as esoteric and based on conjecture as astrology.

Reading your explanations on this Forum has not only enlightened me on MBTI, which I sorely lack in, but has broadened my own understanding of Astrology by looking at it in the light of MBTI.

Thank you. Glad I could help.

We 8w9 Dragon Leo eNFJ Chaotic Good SLOAI Meat Popsicle Eleven Cybercowboy Wu Tang Ying Yang Twin Indigo now Crystal Superheroes are compelled to do so when their 5th house gets paid off and refinanced into a self assessment motivational franchise because Pluto is no longer a planet! (It's okay Pluto. I'm not a planet either.)

You may, and you are correct. Though some would argue that psychology is just as esoteric and based on conjecture as astrology.
Yes, I've come across that before as well. I'm not a psychologist or student of psychology by any stretch of the imagination, but I have read and appreciated the insights of psychologists such as Jung, Freud, and Adler, among others.

We 8w9 Dragon Leo eNFJ Chaotic Good SLOAI Meat Popsicle Eleven Cybercowboy Wu Tang Ying Yang Twin Indigo now Crystal Superheroes are compelled to do so when their 5th house gets paid off and refinanced into a self assessment motivational franchise because Pluto is no longer a planet! (It's okay Pluto. I'm not a planet either.)
ROFL!!

Your are a Dragon Leo also? [I'm Water Dragon - 1952, 4w5, and cyber greenhorn more than cybercowboy]
And I have theories as to the astrological and psychological significance of downgrading Pluto.

Originally Posted by Milon
Tangential question:

Would it be correct to say then that T = Computer, F = Animal, and T+F = Human?
I'm not really wanting to get into animals that have certain amounts of T, or computer algorithms that emulate F - this is just a quick question to test my own understanding.

Correct? No.

Great analogy? Yes!

So my conjecture both sucked and was awesome, eh? Please improve on it! How would you make it correct?

Cool graphic Von.