Love as the essence of faith? | INFJ Forum

Love as the essence of faith?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Altruistic Muse, Sep 21, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Altruistic Muse
  1. Altruistic Muse

    Altruistic Muse Community Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Threads:
    104
    Messages:
    593
    Likes Received:
    66
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4?
    [youtube]POBKL0zHZyc[/youtube]




    Williams seems to be asserting here that if you can see beauty and feel love, then you are capable of having faith. He also seems to be saying that love is directly from God, and an atheists love of the universe suggests this... I love this, but I think it may be controversial. What do you guys think?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. magister343

    magister343 Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    1,106
    Likes Received:
    215
    Trophy Points:
    607
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    stupid system (5w4)
    "An error has occurred, please try again latter."

    I can't watch it.


    Scripture does explicitly say that whoever loves has seen the Father, as God is Love. It is also not possible to love God if you hate anyone.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. freeeekyyy

    freeeekyyy Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    43
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Yes, but not all love is really Love. Jesus made very clear that He was the only path to God. If you don't know Christ, you don't know God.
     
    Claridon likes this.
  4. TinyBubbles

    TinyBubbles anarchist

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Threads:
    245
    Messages:
    9,346
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    2,254
    Trophy Points:
    966
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    .
    it's a stretch. love is likely a remnant of our strongly socially interdependent past, nothing more
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. KazeCraven

    KazeCraven Graduated from Typology : May 2011
    Donor

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    Threads:
    76
    Messages:
    1,339
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    177
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    No, I'm not seeing it.

    I can see interactions between love and faith, but I think faith can be hate-driven too.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. TinyBubbles

    TinyBubbles anarchist

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Threads:
    245
    Messages:
    9,346
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    2,254
    Trophy Points:
    966
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    .
    i think faith can be motivated by any strong emotion
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. KazeCraven

    KazeCraven Graduated from Typology : May 2011
    Donor

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    Threads:
    76
    Messages:
    1,339
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    177
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    ^^Hmmm, I'm having difficulty coming up with a rage-driven faith, but I am inclined to agree with you.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. TinyBubbles

    TinyBubbles anarchist

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Threads:
    245
    Messages:
    9,346
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    2,254
    Trophy Points:
    966
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    .
    cause i'm awesome? its okay, you dont need a reason beyond that xD
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Regular Poster

    Joined:
    May 17, 2010
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    110
    Likes Received:
    30
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTP
    I can see the connection. I'm not yet as well versed in the scriptures as I would like to be however ... to confirm my "feeling". Still working on it though :)
     
  10. KazeCraven

    KazeCraven Graduated from Typology : May 2011
    Donor

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    Threads:
    76
    Messages:
    1,339
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    177
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    LOL, no.

    I meant intuitively it seems like any emotion would lead to faith. The fact that you are awesome is great, but it's beside the point.

    Upon closer inspection though, I'd argue that any strong emotion may stem from faith, but not the other way around. Faith seems more like hope or trust, depending on the type of faith.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Gloaming

    Gloaming Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2010
    Threads:
    2
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Type 2, so/sp/sx
    Damn, then we should just all move to Jonestown and drink the kool-aid ASAP. For me, love is the tangible proof that life is more than a purely rational endeavor. Love is ****ing MAGIC, and I mean that less figuratively than you probably think!

    What makes you think our society is shedding love like an old snake skin?

    ***EDIT did you by chance mean faith instead of love?***
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #11 Gloaming, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  12. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,241
    Likes Received:
    679
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    Not to go out on any limbs here or something, but scripturally, faith is driven by hope, and hope, hope is driven by love.


    So.... just kind pointing that one out.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Nixie

    Nixie Resurrected

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2010
    Threads:
    87
    Messages:
    9,409
    Featured Threads:
    6
    Likes Received:
    3,708
    Trophy Points:
    976
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Oregon
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    I agree that love is magic (not the whole "should drink the kool aid thing"). However I feel compelled to add that there is nothing wrong with life being rational (just saying it, probably has something to do with Te).

    For me, faith is believing despite. Despite knowing. Despite having a rational explanation. Just despite. Coming to this conclusion required me to question, question, question and then accept that my understanding of faith was beyond logic and lay inside my spirit. I have faith in many things and it all comes down to whether or not I can set aside my doubts and believe
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. arbygil

    arbygil Passing through

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2008
    Threads:
    382
    Messages:
    11,684
    Likes Received:
    1,379
    Trophy Points:
    881
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Oh, it's possible: Klu Klux Klan, extremists in political parties...etc. Not everything they believe is true, but they take it on faith that it is because they refuse to acknowledge truth.
     
  15. middle1

    middle1 Hellur

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2010
    Threads:
    21
    Messages:
    1,541
    Likes Received:
    340
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Undecided
    Spiritually speaking I thought we only receive faith through God's grace. So if faith is love, then we love by the grace of God. Sounds about right to me. God is love. That's just what I think : )
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Melkor

    Melkor Madman with a cause

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Threads:
    27
    Messages:
    1,758
    Likes Received:
    249
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    >.>
    No wonder love sickens me.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. arbygil

    arbygil Passing through

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2008
    Threads:
    382
    Messages:
    11,684
    Likes Received:
    1,379
    Trophy Points:
    881
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

    Here's how I view faith. You can have faith that the sun exists, because you hope that it does. You have an assurance that it will, and you're convinced the sun exists at 12 noon on Saturday and it will continue to exist tomorrow. You don't live in constant fear that the sun will explode in the next five minutes, or will even explode in our lifetime. You know it could be a possibility because of scientific discourse, but you're not hiding under a rock expecting it to happen right away.

    In other words, the actual emotion of faith is not dependent on God, but it is dependent on conviction, assurances, and hope. Those things can include God (and from a Godly perspective, God *is* included in all of it) but even an atheist has faith if he believes in the natural laws of the universe.

    A better question might be: Why does one have faith? What purpose does faith serve?
     
  18. The Jester

    Because we are taught what to believe.
    If you were born in a muslim environment, you'd believe in Allah.

    And it has multiple purposes:
    On individual level, it can give you hope and can give your life meaning.
    Collectively speaking, it can justify the actions of a government or a large group of people.
     
  19. arbygil

    arbygil Passing through

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2008
    Threads:
    382
    Messages:
    11,684
    Likes Received:
    1,379
    Trophy Points:
    881
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I did mean beyond spiritually (i.e., not a religious figure, per se). But think about it: Why have faith in anything? Why hope? Why give your life meaning? Should it justify our actions? Should people use faith to justify their actions?

    (Going the philosophical route, here)
     
  20. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,241
    Likes Received:
    679
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    I disagree, if people only believed what they were taught then religion would never exist in the first place. Not to mention the fact the their are Christians in Islamic environments and converts from every wake wand walk of life.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page