Long periods without talking to anyone | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Long periods without talking to anyone

i'm learning to keep my own company again. after years of living with family, partner, children, housemates. now it's the cat and i. so, usually on the weekends i have quiet time. i could call friends and sometimes i do. sometimes i like the quiet. sometimes it's harder for me to relax. for some reason i feel more comfortable having down time or watching tv if others are doing it too. on my own i feel like i should always be productive, or working on a project or reading or something. but i want to get comfortable with this again. comfortable with having longer stretches of imagination or just allowing myself to waste time on my own too.

I do. Longest I spent was about 6 months, but I needed to. I felt being around others was causing some type of spiritual homicide. When I emerged rom it, I was much better....

I have never been driven to extended periods of solitude by any friends or family or boyfriend... or even the world in general..

If I begin to feel like someone is untrustworthy or toxic I just cut them off from me and go on with my other relationships.

So I've never spent an extended period of time alone and I don't feel the need to. While I am an introvert, I don't like not having any contact with friends or family etc. for days on end. At some point, I start to feel bored.

I think maybe two days at most before I craved another's company. Yes, two days tops is what it takes for me to be alone to organize my place and my thoughts and feel renewed.

Last edited:
Done that? Know someone who did?

Never paid close attention to how much, but sometimes been in such a period for more than half a year. And felt great. It... redefines your relationship with people. Helps you examine very carefully how they talk and what they say, what they would really like to say instead, etc.

i've never gone even a day without talking to someone, but i completely accept that some time apart does change your relationships with people. even when i'm away for a few hours, it's like I mentally recalibrate my perspective on life and can engage with the world renewed, it's revitalizing. that said, too much time alone makes me lonely. i get stuck in my own thoughts and can't see the humor of it anymore. a balance is what we need, right? i know some people who can't stand to be alone even for a few minutes, others who relish the idea of a hermit life. i'm sort of in the middle, i like being alone but if i was away too long i'd feel like i was missing out.

After poor results of my academic year, 12th std. I could not talk to anyone, not even with parents. They were upset with my result. Nobody could understand me at that time. I could do this because i was full of sadness.

In future, i will never do this. I know, how much it hurts when you don't talk with anyone.

I'm doing this now. My grades at school are dropping, and I feel so bad about it, because I'm essentially screwing up the rest of my life, and because of it, I'm trying not to talk with anybody. I have to speak everyday, living with a few other people, but I don't want to, I wish I could run away for a while and just be myself. I only feel like myself when I'm on my own, whilst I'm with people, I'm just trying to be something that they can understand, that fits in.

I've had them and I had a feeling that when I get to talking after those periods it's more difficult to articulate thoughts verbally again. It's like I have my own way of talking in my head and it's not the same way that I communicate verbally with people. After long periods of complete silence that inner way of thinking gets so strong and overwhelming that I find it hard to break away from it. But it does change my perspective about the world strongly.

I do this.

I think I'm falling into this pattern now.

Reactions: rawr
I feel like I am always doing this... It is really hard for me to initiate contact and it gets even harder the longer I go without saying anything to anyone, because I am afraid that I have offended them or made them think I was giving them the cold shoulder or am no longer interested in being around them.......gahhh. I was just beating myself up about this the other day because I was thinking how many really awesome friends I do have and how I feel like I have been neglecting them and our relationships and it made me really sad. :[

Also, I hate the phone. I loathe making phone calls. If all of my friends had an instant messenger I would probably talk to them more.

Also; if you're looking for things to do by yourself
I now spend about ninety-three percent of my time
alone so I have some excellent hobby ideas if you're
interested [MENTION=2468]beetpoet[/MENTION]

Reactions: 894tt3h9
I can go big long periods where I don't want to be around people physically. sometimes the entire weekend and then some will go by and my landlady won't even know I'm here, she comes down here to see if I'm still alive sometimes and offer me food because she doesn't think I cook or something...or maybe she things i'm not eating right or something, lol I don't know.

However if someone took my computer away from me I would probably need physical company as a sad second best to my internet company, whitch I prefer infinitely to having to deal with the difficulties of interacting with people physically that I occasionally do suffer from if I'm forced to do it too much, and around people I can't stand, or people who give me a hard time, or idiots who just make me feel disabled, whitch sometimes I just can't take. Ignorance and stupidity are just things that I can only take so much of in one week, and if I get too much of that in my day to day life, I feel a desperate need to retreat to the relative safety of the internet, where I can be whoever I want to be and people don't have to know about my disability, unless I choose to tell them, and what the hell, if I tell them, it's the internet, and it doesn't matter so much what is wrong with you, because they don't actually have to look at you and make you feel uncomfortable.

Internet people make me feel normal.

Very, very rarely do I spend time without communicating with anyone.
However, having selective mutism, I have gone long periods of time without speaking to anyone. The longest being about four months.

I love being alone. I feel my best when I'm talking to no one for extended periods of time. I always want to disappear into some far off land or hole up in my apartment and do whatever it is I want to do without interruption or obligation to anyone or anything. It makes me feel satisfied in the deepest way.

I do this quite a bit. Whenever I can, I lock myself in for the day and sit at my piano and play for hours on end, or draw whatever is on my mind, or write, or paint, or read, or simply just lay on my bed and let my Ni take over.

There is this inner/outer peace that flows through my whole self and surroundings when I can be alone :)
I wish I had more days like this at my disclosure.
Not to say that I would want to be a recluse, it's just some days/weeks people are not on my agenda, my hobbies are.

I couldn't stand it.
See? Being an extrovert is NOT that perfect.

I enjoy long periods without talking to anyone immensely. Many of my friends like to joke that if i were to be stuck in a cave with a computer, internet, and food/water; i could be perfectly happy for the rest of my life. While, i think this is a bit extreme, it isn't that far from the truth. I enjoy some peoples presence in my life, but it isn't necessary for my happiness.

I know a few INTJs who did this, and for them it was quite enjoyable. I think INTJs perhaps more than most introverts truly enjoy being alone and not speaking for extended periods of time. The longest I've gone without talking to anyone is a couple of days, and by the end of it I was feeling lonely.

I've always done this. I've lost several close friends because I get into these moods during which I stop answering the phone and don't return calls. I always miss them and wish I hadn't been so reclusive, but I don't really know any other way to be.

By not speaking to someone, i mean of course anything past, "excuse me, wheres the testing lab?" In which case, I have have gone near a month like this. I was incredibly absorbed in my work and found it pleasant to have only myself. Although, I would have greatly appreciated less work. hehe