Let's Psychoanalyse your Avatar [2] | INFJ Forum

Let's Psychoanalyse your Avatar [2]

sassafras

Jun 17, 2009
MBTI
Anyone wanna take a stab at mine? :)

@SamE, I feel like this one's going to be short. Not because there's not a lot to say, but because there's a lot of detail that is difficult to see, but I'll use what I can.

The obvious focus for the picture is the orb of light that all three figures have centered in their chests. Given the presence of an angel, it is not a difficult leap to make that this has some spiritual (even religious) grounding. A soul, most likely, or simply a sense of divine grace. Either way, it connects the dots.

Speaking of connecting the dots, I found it very interesting that the "dots" move in a jagged, lightning-like line down the center of the portrait, starting in the part that appears to be heaven and ending up striking the earth below. This may be a "dude, you're looking too far" thing, but I think it was an intentional path on the part of the artist. He/she could have just as easily made the orbs in a straight line or a diagonal line. In this spiritually-themed portrait, they form a crooked lightning bolt. Interesting.

So now, we've got the lightning bolt, the divine orb, the distinction between sky and earth. My last question is: who are these people? Two possibilities come to mind. One: they are all different people. Second: they are all the same person.

The first one could be the chain of nurturing: the child is obviously being protected in this photograph, immediately by the older woman (mother?), further by the elderly-looking angel, and lastly by the light in the sky (God?). They are all connected by the divine presence and all of them are overseeing this new life. In this case, the lightning bolt could simply be the power of God snaking through them all.

In the second instance, the bolt is a fairly easy tie-in: it is the path of life. You begin a child, grow into an adult, die and ascend, spend forever in heaven. This seems to be the more likely implication.

The last possibility that just occurred to me is an image of "emanation." The ancient philosopher Plotinus agreed that all existence emanated from a deistic existence he called "The One," which radiated all things that existed simply by existing. This radiation happened in stages: The One -> The Divine Mind -> The World Soul -> Individual Souls -> Matter. In this case, everything begins with The One (the orb in the sky), becomes the divine mind in its radiant outskirts, becomes the Angel (the World Soul?), then the individual mortal souls, and lastly, nature itself. This picture is probably not meant to be Plotinian, but I feel like the idea of celestial emanation is evoked, with the lightning bolt being the path of divine decree.

I suppose, ultimately, this just implies to me that you are a spiritual person and you feel connected to the divine source. ...Man, I thought this was going to be a short one.

Thanks, that's astonishing.

The avatar represents finding my inner child, energy and spirit.

[MENTION=1360]TheDaringHatTrick[/MENTION], Hm, why not?

At first glance, I think of both Amanda Palmer and Helena Bonham Carter. In short: awesome. Judging by your signature, I'm guessing it should lean more towards the former.

Well, anyway, I'm going to just fire through this picture and list off the random things that I notice. I see: leather corset worn unusually high, blood-red dress (appears to be linen), what appears to be the king of spades, a cigarette holder (very classy) that does not seem to be smoking, dark hair, dark eye shadow, light complexion, bare wrists, two post-it notes, dark blue/black satin-looking curtains or draperies, and dark velvety upholstery that I assume is part of a bed or some manner of sofa. It is hard to tell at this smaller size.

Well, the general imagery is fairly easy. As DevilDoll earlier, you have a taste for the macabre (kudos!). The dark colors and the bright red (blood-hued) clothing are very characteristic of the darker, "gothic-y" styles of dress. The three things that really draw my attention are the non-smoking cigarette w/ holder, the king of spades(?), and the two post-it notes. Why the two post-it notes? Because why the hell were they included? I must know! Most likely to balance out the darkness that is the entire lower half of the picture, but that's besides the point. I'm here to overreact, not think rationally.

The cigarette isn't as meaningful to me. I could be simply to add to the classy feel of the picture (the cigarette holder makes me lean this way) or it could be indicative of an oral fixation. The latter is a stretch and, since it's not in her mouth, I see no reason to assume it is any more than a classy addition.

The post-it notes are interesting because they make me question the dating of the portrait. Were I to see this sort of dress in modern days, especially given the surroundings, I'd think "This must be Victorian, at the newest." Heavens, no, because there are sticky notes right there on the table! It's as though they were deliberately added to remind the viewer that they were seeing the present and not the past; perhaps a person who feels a strong attachment to the past, or otherwise a person who believes the past and present are connected. Either way, intriguing.

The card! That damn card! It mocks me! At first, I thought "King of Spades." Then I thought "Surely, with this atmosphere, it MUST be a tarot card!" But no, I am quite certain it is not a tarot card, but why a playing card? It's either the Jack of Spades or the King of Spades, I'm 75% sure, having thumbed through my own playing card decks to be certain (I am leaning towards Jack of Spades). It is not difficult to guess why it'd be the Spades suit, but why the Jack/King? Is this a "only one who is thus may step here" situation? Is this a "High card wins" situation? Is she showing me her awesome Blackjack skills? Gah!

Wait, that's it, isn't it? Blackjack! Blackjack is a game that is very well known (with a magic number of 21), but often has an attached aura of magic to it. This is a woman who is both classy and one to gamble, one to walk the line between time periods and worlds, shrouded in the mystery of her satin and velvet decor. She is likely intelligent, possibly even silver-tongued, and probably fancies herself artistic.

However, she must leave herself the occasional post-it to remind herself of where, and most importantly when, she is, and that she must remember to pick up milk after work. :m075:

Thanks, that's astonishing.

The avatar represents finding my inner child, energy and spirit.
Haha, or that. :p

Anyone wanna take a stab at mine? :)

@TheDaringHatTrick

I get this f*** u vibe from this avatar but she's much cooler than that. :D She is relaxing, just chilling, observing those who seem to be looking on. She has one card in her hand - as if to say, "I have the one card you need to win this and i'm not going to let you have it. You have to fight for it." You are hiding in the shadows, waiting for something extraordinary to catch your eye and get your attention. But while you're waiting, you're looking and observing patiently.

Last edited:
Anyone want to give mine a shot?

[MENTION=1815]Matariki[/MENTION]

There is writing on your iris - the last line is "look in". This is interesting. The eye gives an air of dark mystery and questioning. There's a sense of caution and worry - slight fear. There's the sense that eye reflects someone who is on guard, and on the attack - ready to defend herself and her right to be free. There's a softness there in the center of the eye, and a warning "Don't look in, if you're not prepared to handle what you find."

Reactions: Matariki

@Matariki

There is writing on your iris - the last line is "look in". This is interesting. The eye gives an air of dark mystery and questioning. There's a sense of caution and worry - slight fear. There's the sense that eye reflects someone who is on guard, and on the attack - ready to defend herself and her right to be free. There's a softness there in the center of the eye, and a warning "Don't look in, if you're not prepared to handle what you find."

Do you know how much I admire you my dear? :m032:

I have another new one!!

@April

The really interesting thing about this avatar is that it indicates a meeting of two worlds. The fact that the main subject's eyes are not facing forward, but rather turned to side to reveal a profile, suggest a disconnect, searching for truth or questions that go beyond the direct presentation of self. The woman is not quite human,as suggested by the elongated ears and the unnatural hair color. Symbolically, fae creatures are the ultimate representation of the supernatural, reminding us that there is more to our 'nature' than we can see. The butterfly, too, is the animal totem most associated with being a 'messenger' beyond worlds. Coupled with the almost monochromatic choice in colour (aquamarine being the color of spiritual truth, intuition, self-expression and the throat chakra) suggests transcendence of the flesh via creative expression. This avatar suggests someone who is a seeker of spiritual truths, and someone who also has much to share via some sort of creative vision or who would like to showcase themselves creatively. Alternatively, it could also suggest someone who refuses to believe that there isn't more to our world than meets the eye. Someone who is an idealist and a daydreamer.

I'm amazed, this is very much what I thought when I chose the avatar - a meeting of two worlds. I do think there is far more going on than we can see, than we realize... and I love expressing myself through art. Greatly appreciate the kind analysis TDHT, you're a gem <3

@April - gorgeous avatar. She has fierce eyes, and amazing beauty this one. A major trait of this avatar is her strength - she is a great defender although she flies under the radar. She stands for what is true and just. And she is not afraid to stand for what she believes, and defend to the end those who need protecting. She knows how to protect herself from any attack, verbal or otherwise. She also has a subtle softness about her - her cheekbones are a reflection of that. She has a warm heart and a willing spirit but she guards that part of herself carefully. She is quite focused and controlled. She exudes a great deal of pride, and takes no prisoners. What you see is what you get. She prefers to see rather than be seen. The butterfly lightly perched on her nose suggests a gentleness and grace reflected in her demeanor, which is unmistakable and quite becoming. She is a striking beauty. She doesn't always notice when someone is vying for her attention, because she is busy thinking about how to protect the world from itself.

Anita you never cease to impress me with your avatar analyses! And this one is no exception, thankyou to you too <3 I also thought the avatar was lovely, and represented a strong if somewhat esoteric character. It's kind of an idealized, abstract version of me~ I certainly would love to be as just and focused as she appears to be, and I do (albeit with some measure of regret) know how to protect myself~ I adore how you described the butterfly as a reflection of her gentleness and grace, that was unique and gave the image an entirely new feel - like it wouldn't be there if she wasn't so poised.

Thanks again guys! <3

Last edited:
thx [MENTION=1926]April[/MENTION].

I'm curious - anymore takes for mine?

Reactions: TinyBubbles
[MENTION=1360]TheDaringHatTrick[/MENTION], Hm, why not?

At first glance, I think of both Amanda Palmer and Helena Bonham Carter. In short: awesome. Judging by your signature, I'm guessing it should lean more towards the former.

Well, anyway, I'm going to just fire through this picture and list off the random things that I notice. I see: leather corset worn unusually high, blood-red dress (appears to be linen), what appears to be the king of spades, a cigarette holder (very classy) that does not seem to be smoking, dark hair, dark eye shadow, light complexion, bare wrists, two post-it notes, dark blue/black satin-looking curtains or draperies, and dark velvety upholstery that I assume is part of a bed or some manner of sofa. It is hard to tell at this smaller size.

Well, the general imagery is fairly easy. As DevilDoll earlier, you have a taste for the macabre (kudos!). The dark colors and the bright red (blood-hued) clothing are very characteristic of the darker, "gothic-y" styles of dress. The three things that really draw my attention are the non-smoking cigarette w/ holder, the king of spades(?), and the two post-it notes. Why the two post-it notes? Because why the hell were they included? I must know! Most likely to balance out the darkness that is the entire lower half of the picture, but that's besides the point. I'm here to overreact, not think rationally.

The cigarette isn't as meaningful to me. I could be simply to add to the classy feel of the picture (the cigarette holder makes me lean this way) or it could be indicative of an oral fixation. The latter is a stretch and, since it's not in her mouth, I see no reason to assume it is any more than a classy addition.

The post-it notes are interesting because they make me question the dating of the portrait. Were I to see this sort of dress in modern days, especially given the surroundings, I'd think "This must be Victorian, at the newest." Heavens, no, because there are sticky notes right there on the table! It's as though they were deliberately added to remind the viewer that they were seeing the present and not the past; perhaps a person who feels a strong attachment to the past, or otherwise a person who believes the past and present are connected. Either way, intriguing.

The card! That damn card! It mocks me! At first, I thought "King of Spades." Then I thought "Surely, with this atmosphere, it MUST be a tarot card!" But no, I am quite certain it is not a tarot card, but why a playing card? It's either the Jack of Spades or the King of Spades, I'm 75% sure, having thumbed through my own playing card decks to be certain (I am leaning towards Jack of Spades). It is not difficult to guess why it'd be the Spades suit, but why the Jack/King? Is this a "only one who is thus may step here" situation? Is this a "High card wins" situation? Is she showing me her awesome Blackjack skills? Gah!

Wait, that's it, isn't it? Blackjack! Blackjack is a game that is very well known (with a magic number of 21), but often has an attached aura of magic to it. This is a woman who is both classy and one to gamble, one to walk the line between time periods and worlds, shrouded in the mystery of her satin and velvet decor. She is likely intelligent, possibly even silver-tongued, and probably fancies herself artistic.

However, she must leave herself the occasional post-it to remind herself of where, and most importantly when, she is, and that she must remember to pick up milk after work. :m075:

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and offer your analysis on my avatar. I really appreciate it.

Secondly, there is a lot that you've got that was spot-on. The fascination with the macabre, eh, not so much. I'm actually a pretty sunny personality and don't take myself too seriously-- but I am fascinated by the dichotomy of the high-risk vs. high class aspect communicated by this card-player motif.

I love the attention to detail. I deliberately chose the image because she wasn't smoking (detestable habit, cigarettes... at least to me) but I hadn't actually noticed the post-it note until you pointed it out.

The penchant and the finesse in the analysis, the detail, the verbosity... I didn't have to sneak a look at your profile to declare you a fellow English major. ;)

Thanks again!

@TheDaringHatTrick

I get this f*** u vibe from this avatar but she's much cooler than that. :D She is relaxing, just chilling, observing those who seem to be looking on. She has one card in her hand - as if to say, "I have the one card you need to win this and i'm not going to let you have it. You have to fight for it." You are hiding in the shadows, waiting for something extraordinary to catch your eye and get your attention. But while you're waiting, you're looking and observing patiently.

Haha, thank you for that insightful analysis, as always, Anita. Bolded the parts that are true.

I guess the avatar does give me kind of a diva air. lol

:m155:

Subject has a penchant for doing things that one might consider being reckless or something of a gamble. The darkness of picture suggest the subject may be into some form of alternative subculture, perhaps something Gothic in origin or maybe even steam punk. Due to this deduction, it is to be believed that parental divorce or perhaps some traumatizing event has taken place in her life. If the latter is the cause, subject is most likely suffering from learned helplessness.

Subject may or may not be involved in any recreational drug use.

Last edited:
Haha, thank you for that insightful analysis, as always, Anita. Bolded the parts that are true.

I guess the avatar does give me kind of a diva air. lol

Lol. It was fun. Your avatar is totally cool. I think her eyes alone give the feeling that there's just a ton of stuff going on . . . if anyone dares to look. ;)

:m155:

Subject has a penchant for doing things that one might consider being reckless or something of a gamble. The darkness of picture suggest the subject may be into some form of alternative subculture, perhaps something Gothic in origin or maybe even steam punk. Due to this deduction, it is to be believed that parental divorce or perhaps some traumatizing event has taken place in her life. If the latter is the cause, subject is most likely suffering from learned helplessness.

Subject may or may not be involved in any recreational drug use.

lol. Makes me want to rethink what I put up as my avatar.

a) I'm not a goth nor do I sheep with any other alternative subculture, b) I don't gamble, c) I'm far from reckless, d) my parents are happily married, e) I'm perfectly assertive and suffer from the learned ability to kick people's asses and f) the only recreational drug I've been tweaking on as of late is my own excess of dopamine.

(Although between you and I, I wouldn't mind taking flight on the discount greenery airlines... so that's 0.5 /6)

Thanks for taking the time, though :)

Reactions: TinyBubbles