Is there benefit in taking a child to church? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Is there benefit in taking a child to church?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Sriracha, Aug 4, 2011.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
More threads by Sriracha
  1. Cornerstone

Cornerstone Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Pisces
    Enneagram:
    Metal Goat
    Oh yeah, the songs are eternal earworms. It's a fun mad thing to have in common with others.

Just don't take it seriously! Or not seriously enough.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MJDK

MJDK Three

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I'm 15, was raised a Roman Catholic in a modern-style church, participated in all 10 years of CCD, fulfilled all the requirements for confirmation except actually getting confirmed, and am now a Secular Humanist. I'd say it's generally good to expose your kid to religion, as long as the preachers aren't crazy radical fundamentalists. I too didn't fully get what they were talking about at church until I was around 10, which lead me to atheist. Ethically, I think I turned out fine, the church did effect my views on some political issues, but nothing too serious. I did have to read the bible and do reports in CCD, which I'm now grateful for, because I can debate my INTP friend who thinks the world is 6,000 years old(which I disagree with).

3. Ghoulia Yelps

Ghoulia Yelps Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w3
    It depends on the church and the amount of dogma.
    I was brought up in the church, the church I went to as a small child was Anglo Catholic, and very accepting.
    As a teen I joined a brethren church, which was a very bad mistake.
    They were openly misogynistic, preached false doctrine, and turned my cousin against me.
    I ended up telling my psychiatrist!
    I was made to feel guilt and hatred of women and especially myself.
    They teach suffer not a woman to speak.
    My mother was abused by my father on regular basis, and they said she had to submit to him.
    I feel sorry about the young boys who went to the church who were taught that dominating women is the correct thing to do.

4. Jana

Jana Searching...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    I have very good experience. My mom was more example than someone who forced me and brother to go in Church. She looked very happy when she used to come from Sunday Mass, so I realised that it must be something good. So I started to go on my own. My Big Brother too.
    Beside that priests in my childhood district were awsome. They are franciscans order and they really had (still do) good way of working with children and youngsters.
    I like what I got from my experience. I think that it gave me internal discipline and it helped me to cope with problems of growing up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jana

Jana Searching...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Plus...
    I am from Europe, Catholic. The thing is that large part of european literature and music and other arts has roots in Christianity. Because of liturgy and Church readings I always felt at home with most of literature and classical music. It was part of me since very early age.

6. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Maybe you should consider going to a church that espouses the same values that you have. Unless you think your values are wrong and you are trying to get brainwashed into right thinking.

7. Neurosis

Neurosis Newbie

Threads:
    MBTI:
    grenade
    Enneagram:
    økseskaft
    Attending church is just a ritual, and I don't think there's anything you can gain specifically from church that you couldn't get from any other ritualized social interaction. You could take them to a martial arts class every Sunday morning instead, and it'd produce a similar positive effect.

8. Lerxst

Lerxst Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Religion is like a bullet. It's completely harmless on its own... you can play with it, bounce it around, hang it on a necklace and it won't harm you. You place it in a gun, then you suddenly have something that can kill a person though.

The act of going to church - completely harmless. That belief system being used against others later in life - lethal. Just ask your friendly neighborhood terrorist. You really think they'd strap bombs to their chest if the religion they were taught at an earlier age didn't fill their heads with visions of God and the Heaven upon their death?

9. just me

just me GONE

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    I take it there are those that hate religion...

10. Flavus Aquila

Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Come to mind.

I suppose in that saying, it is not a bad thing to lead a horse to water - it might be a bad thing to shove the horse's snout in the water and try to force it to drink.

Anyhow, children should not be forced to religion, but it seems in keeping with the function of parents to lead their children to religion, so that they may 'drink of it' if they wish.

11. Dohavior

Dohavior Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    sp/sx/so
    And the authors works will be in hardcopy form open to legitimate criticism. Rather than the rushed ramblings and slips of tongue by spoken words that none commits to.

Some people actually read books and watch movies. ***AND THEY HATE SPOILERS*** so sit your preachy ass down and read a book how about. You are talking about spoiling literature here. This entire conversation is purely anti intellectual. How could anyone be an introvert and accept this notion?

Imagine you wish to see the next new movie and for 10 years you hear nothing but people talking about it detailing every scenes tiny detail over and over going on about the Director's will for the movie and its purpose in shaping their life. There is no longer a point in watching the movie its meaning has been raped and entirely lost by the throngs of SPAM and inanity.

Jesus had to die several times in this book just to confuse the trolls and their spoiling of his legacy:
    Matthew 27
    Mark 15
    Luke 23
    John 19

Perhaps the only reason you are in Church is because you hate fanboys and that is what you are raising. Vain, senseless, conceited fans. Look in the mirror hypocrite! Now excuse me while I go back to reading my religious texts. Anyone ever heard of Mental Alchemy? I've been reading some of that. I can't get enough of these parables and fables.

12. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    If the religious leader you are listening to doesn't believe in what he is saying, then why would you continue to go listen?

13. Dohavior

Dohavior Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    sp/sx/so
    IF: you are listening
    THEN: why would you continue to listen
    One has ears therefor is always listening. Passive

There are many liars whom believe in what they say the word for such is imbecile.

"If you are speaking to me and don't believe in what you are hearing, then why would you continue to go speak?"
    IF: speaking
    THEN: why continue speaking
    One expends energy to speak. Active, a decision must be made to speak.

14. Flavus Aquila

Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    There is usually a distinction made between hearing and listening.
    Hearing is the passive biological function; listening involves giving conscious attention to what is said.

Even listening is distinguished into cynical, indifferent, and assenting.

15. Pin

Pin Commander-in Chief / Ren's Counterpart

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    8w7, 8-3-7
    In the event I become a father, I don't intend to bring my children to church without them teaching them about other religious traditions as well general philosophy. That way, as an adult they'll be better equipped to choose.

#75 Pin, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  16. Ren

Ren Pin's android and co-founder of Stoic Café

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    :mclap:

neko likes this.
  17. Lady Jolanda

Lady Jolanda The Queen of Sophistry
    Staff Member Tech Admins

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    xNxx
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Of course it's a great idea to take a child to church...

[​IMG]

JennyDaniella and jkxx like this.
  18. JennyDaniella

JennyDaniella Stargazer

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    HAHAHA thank you LJ, I needed this laugh. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Wyote and Lady Jolanda like this.
  19. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    Visions of God and being unilaterally bombed for the better part of two decades... It's mostly the later.

20. Sloe Djinn

Sloe Djinn Idiot with Internet Access. Puts Tabasco on Pizza.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    SOCMOB
    Enneagram:
    The perceived benefit will vary based upon how the child sees their parents/peers apply its tenets to real life situations. It also (sorry everyone for the boring non-answer) depends on what the desired benefit is. A disciplined mindset? An open mind? “Salvation”? Faith/belief in the unseen? Etc etc...