Is life ultimately dissatisfying?

Vilku

Community Member
Feb 8, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1, 7w6, 4w3
everything is repetition, feelings, thoughts, and everything is just a component without ultimately doing anything but repeating the uncountable different kinds of cycles in the universe.

Feelings are x, y and z. You can remember 100 streak at one time and there are 10000 streak maximun in existence, they exist inherently and the limitation holds.

Im so optimistic? =D

same goes on in everything, life too is just a game, and repetitive at that. I HATE repetition. Thus i hate everything. -.- ...

Erm..

Thats my take on why reality is ultimately dissatisfying, you have a take too, yes, say YES! =D

and complexity too is just an illusion caused by our inherent stupidity.

we are all meat robots. This is revelation?

Life is only dissatisfying if you stop paying attention, or if you have ridiculous or highly specific expectations that keep you from noticing the things that are really awesome. Seriously, compare everything that you can see, hear, smell, taste and touch to absolutely nothing (which is pretty easy to imagine) and you'll realize that everything around you is really weird and exciting and interesting.

I've done a little traveling over the last few years and nothing out there has ever compared to simple things… like the energy in the air before a storm, or like when the clouds open up and the light hits the hills just so, or autumn leaves, or like sitting down and actually listening to/watching a quickly-flowing river, etc. It's electronic devices, job stress and empty routines that are incapable of satisfying anyone.

Satisfying/unsatisfying has nothing to do with life and everything to do with you.

Reactions: Cornerstone
Then learn to live each day as though it was your last.

laying in bed with coffin pose while at staring the ceiling, contracting right cheek muscle and thinking, "oh well, at least i got the end notes" =\

well yes, myabe i need to take life less seriously for a day.

I think over analyzing the big picture is depressing. You are merely an ant on this earth. In one day you can't make a difference in this world, but you can make a difference in someone else's life. The reward is the best!

I think if you pay attention closely to how things are around you, you'll realize that it's extremely depressing. But whenever I feel down, I just go outside, get in touch with nature, sometimes I feel like I can feel the life from the grass and the trees around me, and i'm reminded of how fascinating and wonderful it is to be alive.

Reactions: barbad0s
Life is, ultimately, an open road. A set of stairs.

Analyzing the repetitive and limited nature of our day to day existence does seem very tedious and dissatisfactory. It's enough to make one lose sight of the value of life.
Experiencing it, though, is another thing altogether.

Reactions: barbad0s
I think if you pay attention closely to how things are around you, you'll realize that it's extremely depressing. But whenever I feel down, I just go outside, get in touch with nature, sometimes I feel like I can feel the life from the grass and the trees around me, and i'm reminded of how fascinating and wonderful it is to be alive.

This is excellent advice!

I'd also recommend volunteering to teach someone. Or feed the hungry. Or mentor a foster child. Or take an elderly a plate lunch to their home.

No. Being alive is sweet! Life is a gift to be enjoyed and the time to enjoy and be satisfied is easiest when you're young.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.
Robert Frost

Dark days are coming, but you're young. Joy isn't an emotion. It's a choice. It's easy when you're young. One day you'll be old and your eyes will not see. Can you see? Your hands will shake, and you won't be able to control your body. Are you young and strong? You'll have aches and pains, you'll lose your teeth. Can you chew and enjoy food and taste wine? You won't be able to hear, you will lose your appetite and your taste buds will fail you. You will lose the desire and ability to have sex. Can you show someone you love them? Your mind will fail you. One day you will lose the ability to do the most simple things. Those days WILL come and that's IF you make it that far. You don't have that much time to really LIVE so live. The things that make life sweet are the most simple things. Love someone, eat some good food, drink some wine, and laugh. Hug your kids. Do all of this while you can.

Life is valuable and it can end suddenly. Like a silver thread snapped. A golden bowl crushed. A wheel broken at the cistern. It can end right now. Enjoy life. It's a gift.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal
I don't know enough about your situation to comment specifically but i have noticed as a generalisation that a lot of people (myself included) find the transitional stage between teens and mid twenties difficult

I think it might be because in modern society we are taking on more responsibilities around that age but don't yet have the experience to draw on to know how best to deal with situations or to have the confidence in our abilities

But the more we live the more we learn; mistakes are always made but pain is a good teacher!

Last edited:
life is not dissatisfying. you are dissatisfied with your life.
big difference
if you doubt that, try stopping your breathing. you will see how satisfying taking that breath in really is. that is life.
what you do with the rest of it is up to you. all you are given is the pleasure (or chore, however you see it) of filling in the time between those breaths.
if you are bored of the repetition, shake it up! you're the boss of you and you're the boss of what you do for entertainment.

No. Being alive is sweet! Life is a gift to be enjoyed and the time to enjoy and be satisfied is easiest when you're young.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.
Robert Frost

Dark days are coming, but you're young. Joy isn't an emotion. It's a choice. It's easy when you're young. One day you'll be old and your eyes will not see. Can you see? Your hands will shake, and you won't be able to control your body. Are you young and strong? You'll have aches and pains, you'll lose your teeth. Can you chew and enjoy food and taste wine? You won't be able to hear, you will lose your appetite and your taste buds will fail you. You will lose the desire and ability to have sex. Can you show someone you love them? Your mind will fail you. One day you will lose the ability to do the most simple things. Those days WILL come and that's IF you make it that far. You don't have that much time to really LIVE so live. The things that make life sweet are the most simple things. Love someone, eat some good food, drink some wine, and laugh. Hug your kids. Do all of this while you can.

Life is valuable and it can end suddenly. Like a silver thread snapped. A golden bowl crushed. A wheel broken at the cistern. It can end right now. Enjoy life. It's a gift.

Listen to Cindy, she is right.

Let me add one thing - youth and vitality start to go in your 40's (sorry to drop that news on you) - not just when you in your 70's. Your 20's and 30's are the strongest years of your life. I am not saying your 40's and 50's are old but you can definitely tell you do not have the same energy, stamina and drive you used to have.

Enjoy the simple things in life. Lighten-up, don't take everything so seriously. Remember, you cannot change the world or save it and that is not your job - just do what little you can do to brighten others day each day. Learn to see the positive, laugh often and at yourself at times (don't take yourself too seriously either). Don't let everything get to you because, 100 years from now, all the same stupid things will be happening to that generation that you saw ("there is nothing new under the sun"). Forgive yourself of your past because you cannot change it but learn from it and resolve to do better in the future. Enjoy right now because you are not guaranteed one second more and, one day, it will end and that tomorrow you worried about today will never happen for you - and look at all the time you wasted worrying! Try and stay positive even though it will be hard at times to do.

Listen to Cindy, enjoy your youth in a happy way and make other's lives brighter too - then you will find some joy in life as you bring joy to others.

I'll let you know when I get to the end.

I don't know enough about your situation to comment specifically but i have noticed as a generalisation that a lot of people (myself included) find the transitional stage between teens and mid twenties difficult

The mid-late 20s are much worse.

My late teens early 20s were pretty much a golden age-- gaining experience and discovering new perspectives is actually quite rewarding, especially if you're in university, because there's nothing about that place that is in any way realistic. Not knowing about reality means that it could be anything… and you're willing to believe that all of these theories that have been around since forever can have some sort of real world application, and create a better, brighter world.

And then you discover the reality, and it completely crushes your idealism. This is as much what young people want to rebel against as all of the 'injustice' of the world. Nobody likes to hear that clinging to unrealistic ideals is impractical-- and in reality, practicality rules. It's hard to face reality… I had a hard time with it as well.

It gets better in your early 30s, when you can embrace practicality and compromise your idealism with reality… it's easier to affect small changes that move everything in the right direction (or the direction you believe in) than to stage violent radical revolutions that are either destructive, incapable of finding support, or just won't work.

Anyways, on a related note-- I think that 'carpe diem' and 'seize the day' are bullshit. I don't even know what they mean. HOW does one seize the day, exactly? By cleaning the house? Life is not an exciting vacation where you can do whatever you want and you can always do something awesome every day.

But if someone has figured out how to do something awesome every day, please tell me.

Last edited:
But if someone has figured out how to do something awesome every day, please tell me.

All the amazing people who have lived throughout human history were all born as babies. Did they set out to do something awesome?

Outwardly, almost certainly not. Did they maybe predict what their wild ideas could lead to? Maybe...if these people have left journals then I'm sure we could know.

I'm not speaking about any one person in particular. A hero to one is a villain to another but, no, there is no magic way of living every day to its fullest but there are these people who did something; maybe not every day but enough, within a single lifetime, to be remembered for many years afterwards. And so many came from really terrible places.

Life is not a checklist. There is no great finale. If anything, the last few moments are going to be some of the worst. We should live with open minds and enjoy the drama as it unfolds...dance with the music as it plays.

Reactions: barbad0s and muir
So far I like life. Maybe it gets shittier later.

everything is repetition, feelings, thoughts, and everything is just a component without ultimately doing anything but repeating the uncountable different kinds of cycles in the universe.

It sounds like you are wallowing in some Type-4 melancholy. :) I know that feeling very well - seeing only pointlessness and banality everywhere you turn. If you're not careful it can turn into deep pessimism and that's harder to budge. I keep a gratitude journal beside my bed and write in it first thing every morning, just to focus my attention on my immediate surroundings and all the things I have to be thankful for. It has really worked for me, so perhaps it will work for you too.

And good luck. Life really is wonderful, once we learn appreciate it in its simplest forms. Maybe that lesson will be your life work, but once you get there it will be worth it.

Reactions: muir