Is it possible to change your type? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Is it possible to change your type?

I admit to being new and uncertain when it comes to MBTI, but I'd like
to throw some ideas out here...

People can act however they want...but type is simply a preference,
a tool for self-understanding, not a box we should try cramming ourselves into.
There's a spectrum. We can use other functions, but when we follow our
natural inclinations, what functions are most comfortable, that is type.

Saying there are only 16 different types of people in the world based on MBTI
is like saying there are only 12 types of people in popular astrology. Neither
astrology nor MBTI is that simple.

Short answer: no, you can not willingly change your personality type.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that be that you wouldn't want to change your personality type?

Nope. If just for the fact that if I could, I would.

hmmm. no i think beyoned a certain point in life ( the chinese believe 7 & christian numerology suggests also 7 is the number of perfection )
that our moral perspectives have become more solidified - i do believe it is possible to change our personality, but i do not believe it is possible to change our personality type, though how much it matters is questionable, as for example. i am considered INFJ personality type by Preference
meaning not only am i INFJ but i perfer INFJ preferences ( i like being me :)
and i can thank god that , though i have Fe as my auxilliary Fi is constantly present and so on and so forth for any other functions i might observe / We

So i would say No we cannot change our general type.
but what we can do is Develop, and when i say develop i mean the development of all functions and not just our preferences.
moving possibly on to our Shadow functions at a later time maybe.

well that my perspective anyways :)

PEACE :m107:

haha. and yeah i agree completely in reference to te comments about some peoples perception of simplicity.

:m107: PEACE

i dont believe you can change your type. that is all i have to say.

im a J at work but a P at home cos im more organised at work and im usually an I but im an E around friend and sometimes im an N and come up with lots of ideas but i become a S sometimes cos i just focus on details and im an F sometiems but when im in a bad mood i dont consider ppls feelings as much so yes you can change your type

peace

Reactions: Arsal
Can you change your personality type? I'd say "kind of... a little bit". I think that people's personalities do change as they grow and develop as a person. I think that the goal is to try to achieve balance among all of your cognitive functions (so yeah, developing inferior functions). And as people mature, I think they become more balanced which I suppose you can think of as a change in personality.

Adymus, forgive me if I am wrong but I think in Podlair
theory one of the key aspects is that you work on
developing your inferior functions which in essence
could change your type due to the restructuring of
the function order.
Let me start by saying I forgive you, but that's not how it works. Pod'Lair theory is pretty firm in that your Cognitive Configuration is innate and unchangeable.

Modulation Theory is the Concept you are talking about, and it has more to do with just the Polar, just so you know. I think you are misunderstanding because you are bringing in a lot of MBTI/Jungian assumptions into how the Polar and Offside powers work. "Develop" in particular is a word that will really fuck with you. in MBTI people like to say the inferior function is the "Undeveloped function", for instance an INTP has a more "Developed" Ti than an ENFJ, or something like that. The Polar (Inferior) has its own intended purpose, it is does not work like MBTI thinks it does, in which it is just weak for the sake of being weak. The hierarchy of Cognitive function is not the top four "Most developed" functions in that order, each position they take in hierarchy give them an intended purpose that they serve. The Polar is meant to be a Counter-Balance to the Source, it is meant to refine that materials that come from the Source. Modulating skillfully or masterfully does not mean you are restructuring your Cognitive Configuration, that would be impossible, it just means you are mastering a process and a tool set that was already there.

I admit to being new and uncertain when it comes to MBTI, but I'd like
to throw some ideas out here...

People can act however they want...but type is simply a preference,
a tool for self-understanding, not a box we should try cramming ourselves into.
There's a spectrum. We can use other functions, but when we follow our
natural inclinations, what functions are most comfortable, that is type.

Saying there are only 16 different types of people in the world based on MBTI
is like saying there are only 12 types of people in popular astrology. Neither
astrology nor MBTI is that simple.

so you see the similarity. then you would also see another one: they are both a bunch of hoopla.

I can change my type temporarily. But if I do it for too long I get exhausted.

I can change my type temporarily. But if I do it for too long I get exhausted.
Acting differently is not changing your type, are you just an INFJ that is acting like a different character (INFJ are not even defined by persona characters in the first place, but I won't get into that). The reason you are getting exhausted by this is because you never stopped being an INFJ, which is apparently not designed to act in the way you were acting for long periods of time...

Reactions: grt$5vb
Acting differently is not changing your type, are you just an INFJ that is acting like a different character (INFJ are not even defined by persona characters in the first place, but I won't get into that). The reason you are getting exhausted by this is because you never stopped being an INFJ, which is apparently not designed to act in the way you were acting for long periods of time...

This.

You're just appearing to be a different type for a short while. This is likely due to you accessing your lower functions and forcing them to act at a higher capacity then you are able to. This does not "change" your personality. Could be just a semantical wording issue on your end, but your personality truly is static.

This.

You're just appearing to be a different type for a short while. This is likely due to you accessing your lower functions and forcing them to act at a higher capacity then you are able to. This does not "change" your personality. Could be just a semantical wording issue on your end, but your personality truly is static.
Exactly.

(Disclaimer: The following is not nitpicking you Indy, I am just making a clarification because I like making clarifications.)

But to be honest, I don't even like saying "You're just appearing to be a different type for a short while" because types should not be defined by these "appearances" in the first place. You're never technically not acting like your own type, you literally have no choice but to act like your own type in everything you do. Its kind of like saying "Person X is not acting like a human" but they are human, and they are acting a certain way, which means humans can clearly act that way.

I got into a really long argument about this with a person on INTPf once. I think he was asking me how it is possible to tell the difference between an ESFJ and an INTP acting like an ESFJ. The answer is because an INTP is not an ESFJ, an ESFJ is an entirely different type that is designed to work an entirely different way. So an INTP that is using a lot of Fe is not an INTP acting like an ESFJ, that person would simply be acting like an INTP that is using a lot of Fe.

The problem is most people define the types based on a single character, like the ones you will read in the basic descriptions of a type, so when you think of a type, you think of that certain character. The problem is that is while a single individual is capable of playing an infinite about of characters, none of which are truly innate by nature, they are only capable of having only one cognitive configuration. So when you are defining them by these characters then you end up have a very One-dimensional perspective of all 16 types, and what they are capable of doing and being.

Reactions: grt$5vb
Exactly.

(Disclaimer: The following is not nitpicking you Indy, I am just making a clarification because I like making clarifications.)

But to be honest, I don't even like saying "You're just appearing to be a different type for a short while" because types should not be defined by these "appearances" in the first place. You're never technically not acting like your own type, you literally have no choice but to act like your own type in everything you do. Its kind of like saying "Person X is not acting like a human" but they are human, and they are acting a certain way, which means humans can clearly act that way.

I got into a really long argument about this with a person on INTPf once. I think he was asking me how it is possible to tell the difference between an ESFJ and an INTP acting like an ESFJ. The answer is because an INTP is not an ESFJ, an ESFJ is an entirely different type that is designed to work an entirely different way. So an INTP that is using a lot of Fe is not an INTP acting like an ESFJ, that person would simply be acting like an INTP that is using a lot of Fe.

The problem is most people define the types based on a single character, like the ones you will read in the basic descriptions of a type, so when you think of a type, you think of that certain character. The problem is that is while a single individual is capable of playing an infinite about of characters, none of which are truly innate by nature, they are only capable of having only one cognitive configuration. So when you are defining them by these characters then you end up have a very One-dimensional perspective of all 16 types, and what they are capable of doing and being.

Right. I guess "appears" is just a bad word choice. I guess a better way to say it would be that elements of certain functions are more "visible" on the surface for the time being. But you indeed are the same, as the order doesn't change. You could think of it as turning up the voltage, but not the amps (loudness vs. power). The power would force things into a different spot, loudness just means you notice it more.