Is it possible to change your type? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Is it possible to change your type?

Everyone has every type- the one you use most is your preference. I do think that environment or biological factors can change your preference, but it would have to be a very drastic change.

I suppose you could attempt to consciously, but there are probably reasons you do what you do (especially subconsciously), so it would probably not work out for you to try and consciously change it (at least, not unaided). And you'll still be the same basic person even if you do try.

So true. I do think we act certain ways for reasons. Sometimes our mindset changes though. For instance, if you set up certain goals you start acting in accordance towards those to achieve your objective.

thats because mbti is a limiting and sucky system that isn't accurate and doesn't work, like astrology, it's based on pretty much nothing

I can't complain, it's a decent blueprint, and useful tool for discovery. Nothing is perfect, just depends on the angle you decide to view it from.

thats because mbti is a limiting and sucky system that isn't accurate and doesn't work, like astrology, it's based on pretty much nothing

MBTI isn't fatalistic like astrology and is in fact based on stereotypes, stereotypes are not nothing.

translation: I don't know understand how functions work and can't type myself.

Reactions: Saru Inc
I can't complain, it's a decent blueprint, and useful tool for discovery. Nothing is perfect, just depends on the angle you decide to view it from.

it doesn't even qualify as a tool it's more like voodoo. I can't believe it's legal to use such a nutty test as a tool in hiring new employees.

translation: I don't know understand how functions work and can't type myself.

let's put this into perspective.

there are 6 billion people on the planet.

there are 16 mbti types.

OF COURSE I don't fit into any of those types, and even if I did, it's a stereotype, inaccurate, it doesn't help anyone because it is so simplistic. If there were at least 50,000 types I might consider it to be a decently graded system but ONLY 16 for 6 billion different people? Really? It banks on that all people fall under only these certain categories and if you don't, you fall into what's closest. Ever wonder why there's always a million threads about people needing to be typed or questioning their types? Possibly because humans are indecisive fucks but it is also because the system is too limiting and doesn't cover all the bases for everyone. A great majority of people will be able to identify with one of the 16 types but there will be a lot who don't, and those people slip between the cracks of the crap system and really can't be included in the 'psychology', therefore it's really not all that great of a method.

I'd assume there'd have to be some type of accuracy on the analyst otherwise they'd throw it in the trash. If I was an employer I'd be interested in what they'd scored as, but wouldn't limit them to the type..

I'd assume there'd have to be some type of accuracy on the analyst otherwise they'd throw it in the trash. If I was an employer I'd be interested in what they'd scored as, but wouldn't limit them to the type..

but do you realize how stupid that is for people to be able to test people with something that hardly qualifies as psychology in other to determine if they get a job or not? It's like forcing someone to take a test which tells them which flavor of ice cream they are and refusing to hire anyone who got strawberry.

Yeah, I agree. It's really shallow to sum up a person, their personality, their life based on a test. It's realistically not possible to do that. I don't agree with it, but understand why they do do it.

Actually I took a personality test for a job now that I think about it. I don't know if it was mbti but it probably was. I answered as what they wanted to hear opposed to what I actually felt and I think I was hired because of this. I think I tested as very extroverted and knew the job was looking for a person like that. E.g: "I think you are going to be great with the people". I don't feel like I said anything over the top extroverted during the interview though I was cordial.. I assumed my boss drew the conclusion from the test.

but do you realize how stupid that is for people to be able to test people with something that hardly qualifies as psychology in other to determine if they get a job or not? It's like forcing someone to take a test which tells them which flavor of ice cream they are and refusing to hire anyone who got strawberry.

Technically I could not hire someone because they didn't like strawberry ice cream if I really wanted to.

Technically I could not hire someone because they didn't like strawberry ice cream if I really wanted to.

Perfect.

Adymus, forgive me if I am wrong but I think in Podlair
theory one of the key aspects is that you work on
developing your inferior functions which in essence
could change your type due to the restructuring of
the function order. I don't know much about Podlair,
though. Nor is this considered an exact "science", I
just know that this is something they focus on.

In MBTI/Jungian Cogitive functions you can try
working on your functions but you can only develop
those four that you utilize and a lot of times it's
difficult to make yourself think in different patterns
by default.

Here's my two cents (i've not read the topic yet, just the title..)

I believe you can, as Limit put it, change the lens on how you view the world. But the lens will always be lens. I might use Fe to do blah blah blah, but it will always be lens. You might go to Lenscrafters and get a pair of coke bottle glasses, and then you might change them out to get sexy library ones, but they are still just glasses. (In this scenario, Fe is glasses, Fi are monocles, Te are contacts, etc.)

I think you may be using your dom type + aux type to mimic an ENTP. I'm not saying you're ignorant, nor insincere in your belief for type to be able to change, simply how I see it. I thought for a long time actually, that I WAS ENFP. However, I had a realization while shopping for sloppy joe mix (hello Ni) I was using my Ni, and my Fe to mimic the ENXP community I've essentially grown up with. Thats why some people saw (or still see) me as ENFP, others as INFJ. I tend to show the "enfp" side of my quite often, but its not ENFP. Its INFJ (or Ni Fe) acting as ENFP.

I hoped this clarified, and wasn't redundant. Lol.

Here's my two cents (i've not read the topic yet, just the title..)

I believe you can, as Limit put it, change the lens on how you view the world. But the lens will always be lens. I might use Fe to do blah blah blah, but it will always be lens. You might go to Lenscrafters and get a pair of coke bottle glasses, and then you might change them out to get sexy library ones, but they are still just glasses. (In this scenario, Fe is glasses, Fi are monocles, Te are contacts, etc.)

I think you may be using your dom type + aux type to mimic an ENTP. I'm not saying you're ignorant, nor insincere in your belief for type to be able to change, simply how I see it. I thought for a long time actually, that I WAS ENFP. However, I had a realization while shopping for sloppy joe mix (hello Ni) I was using my Ni, and my Fe to mimic the ENXP community I've essentially grown up with. Thats why some people saw (or still see) me as ENFP, others as INFJ. I tend to show the "enfp" side of my quite often, but its not ENFP. Its INFJ (or Ni Fe) acting as ENFP.

I hoped this clarified, and wasn't redundant. Lol.

I do wonder, are extroverted functions like a lens and introverted functions more internal therefore being more similar to one another and more dissimilar to each other?

I'm not sure. Somehow I went from being an ENTP to an INTP over a period of two years, but then again my father did the same thing when he was my age. So I guess maturity plays a large role in MBTI.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that over two years you have changed from being outgoing to less outgoing or do you mean that you have changed from a preference for Ne-Ti-Fe-Si to a preference for Ti-Ne-Si-Fe? The latter is a more radical change than the former. They are very different things. This is the crux of the argument between JCF and MBTI. The definitions are not the same.

Consider reading this article. It does a pretty good job of explaining things.
http://www.personalitynation.com/ju...ons/486-introduction-cognitive-functions.html

http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=14425

It’s interesting to see typology progressing on this forum.

MBTI isn’t COMPLETE crap. A lot of the cognitions may work out (especially in the United States based on the cultural impact on cognition) to be very similar to the behavioral preferences in the MBTI. I wouldn’t completely disagree with the 75% accuracy that MBTI claims.

Cognitive Functions helps identify the why behind the behavioral tendencies. Analytical psychology helps identify the why behind the cognitive functions.

How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that over two years you have changed from being outgoing to less outgoing or do you mean that you have changed from a preference for Ne-Ti-Fe-Si to a preference for Ti-Ne-Si-Fe? The latter is a more radical change than the former. They are very different things. This is the crux of the argument between JCF and MBTI. The definitions are not the same.

Consider reading this article. It does a pretty good job of explaining things.
http://www.personalitynation.com/ju...ons/486-introduction-cognitive-functions.html

*nods* going from reserved to expressive (Typical identification of the MBTI E vs I) is not the same as actually changing typological types.

Well, I guess in MBTI you could be an ENTP who goes INTP since it looks for outer behavior. So I could be an ENFP if I’m nicer to everyone or concerned mostly about feelings. Then I could get depressed and feel reserved from my environment and be an INFP. OH WAIT, SO THAT’S WHY SO MANY DEPRESSED INDIVIDUALS GET TYPED INFP. I can’t go into HOW many times I’ve come across depressed individuals who thought they were INFPs who just couldn’t relate to a lot of the other INFPs....

INFP to ISTP, INFP to INFJ, INFP to ENTP, etc. XD