Is Atheism a belief? | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Is Atheism a belief?

Bald is not a hairstyle if hair no longer grows.
Bald is a hairstyle if you shaved the hair off.

Should I ask this to every bald person I meet, or just call it a hairstyle to avoid offending them?

Putting this back into atheism-mode, it doesn't really work:
Should I ask every atheist whether they consider it a belief, or just assume they believe to avoid offense?
Many atheists would take offense if you did call it a belief.

Should I ask this to every bald person I meet, or just call it a hairstyle to avoid offending them?

Putting this back into atheism-mode, it doesn't really work:
Should I ask every atheist whether they consider it a belief, or just assume they believe to avoid offense?
Many atheists would take offense if you did call it a belief.

I believe if they're not actually bald but remove all their hair manually, it's considered 'shaved'. I've never heard anyone refer to it as a bald cut. Getting your head shaved is a thing, getting your head balded doesn't make a lick of sense. Applying this to atheism gets you to atheism being baldness and anti-theism being shaved. Makes perfect sense!

Last edited:
I believe if they're not actually bald but remove all their hair manually, it's considered 'shaved'. I've never heard anyone refer to it as a bald cut. Getting your head shaved is a thing, getting your head balded doesn't make a lick of sense. Applying this to atheism gets you to atheism being baldness and anti-theism being shaved. Makes perfect sense!
I think the metaphor is reaching its limits :). Good points.

but most bald ppl are not completely bald they shave to rest off

i dont get what the metaphor is:m142:

heh just realized i meant to say hair color not style

Atheism isn't a belief...it's a lack of belief.

Theism: The belief in a deity.
A/theism: Not theism.

A belief is something that you hold true. Does me not holding the existence of deity as true equate to me holding the the non existence of a deity as true?

Does not x equal y?
Does not yes equal no?
Does not love equal hate?
Does not white equal black?
etc etc

The world isn't yes or no.
Theism-Yes.
Atheism-Not yes. (That could mean no, maybe, I don't know, perhaps, possible, blue or monkey). As long as it's "not yes" it's atheism.

At least under my definition of atheism. (Which is debatable but in the end is just semantics)..

My $0.02

Can't we just agree that atheists do not believe in any gods? Or that they believe there are no gods? Why so picky?