Is Atheism a belief? | INFJ Forum

Is Atheism a belief?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
I have heard it argued that since atheists don't believe in God, they are holding a particular unprovable belief. In doing so, are they any different than theists since they hold their own beliefs that are supported by their own reasoning and lack of conclusive evidence? (I went after the theists on the board, it's your turn atheists :twisted: )

It is all about probabilities. A strong atheist (claiming 100% certainty that there is no God) is irrational. A strong theist (claiming 100% that there is a God) is also irrational, but in some cases you can't really blame the person, as in cases of convincing personal experience. We are naturally opposed to the idea that we are insane.
Atheism can be a belief, since strong atheists and many "weak" atheists do assert that evidence disproves God or the supposed proofs of God. But then you could call any assessment of evidence that cannot be proven absolutely objective "a belief." In my opinion, strong atheism should be called a belief, but regular atheism is just a lack of one.

Wouldn't strong atheism just be called antitheism? (idk if that's even a word)

Hell YEAH

Atheism is the main belief here in France. And strong atheists are just as damn stubborn as strong theists. They get on my nerves just the same. Maybe even more so, because most of them don't even think, they just go with the general belief. At least catholics here have chosen their way. A lot of atheists just say there is no god because science proves it (they have such a narrow definition of god), but I would say they believe that because it's the normal, general way of thinking. Science and god are only incompatible when your definition of god is some bearded guy who created the world in seven days, 6000 years ago. People are just so litteral. To me there is no difference whatsoever between some catholic kid who was scared of hell 300 years ago and some atheist kid today.

I'm an agnostic by the way.

well im going to say yes, because believing that there is no god is still believing in something right....

I am also agnostic...but still fall short in believing in ONE god... so I think you could say Im still searching...

I think this question goes to whether a disbelief is a belief... people still have disagreements over that.

Isnt most every thing you put validity into a belief?

That depends on whether you consider atheism to include anyone who has, for whatever reason, never considered the issue of God and therefore does not (yet?) believe. I would say that this mental state is the absence of a belief, whereas someone who looks at the issue and draws a conclusion about it is certainly forming an opinion on the issue. In this case, the result is a belief that God doesn't exist.

I have heard it argued that since atheists don't believe in God, they are holding a particular unprovable belief. In doing so, are they any different than theists since they hold their own beliefs that are supported by their own reasoning and lack of conclusive evidence? (I went after the theists on the board, it's your turn atheists :twisted: )

Yes, Athiesm is a belief.

This is the point I was trying to get into about my 'what proof do athiests need to believe in God' thread.

Athiesm is a biased belief. Since there is no evidence proving or disproving the existance of God or deity (evolution is not disproving, all evolution proves is that the scribe of the bible is imperfect) then the most logical conclusion is the position of being an Agnostic.

Yes I do think its a belief. Thats why I'm Agnostic. In truth I don't care. I don't need God. If you wanna get technical I'm a Agnostic Humanist- I get my morals and life values else where and I don't need or care about god either way. I tend to be Atheistic in that I don't think god exists but I can't as of now give enough proof to say he dosen't.

I've seen Agnostics called lazy Atheists or people who lack conviction. Personally I just don't care either way and I don't need to fight about it. I'm going on the what knowledge i have and right now thats where I stand.

So short answer yes Atheism is still Theism.

Reactions: Kgal
a lack of belief is also a belief, yes. in this case the counter belief would be that you can predict the odds.

Everyone believes in something, even if that something is nothing.

Atheism is a belief - and it basically boils down to three basic belief options about existence:

1. The Universe - including any dimensions or types of physical universe which have physical laws very different to the ones we observe - is uncaused. (Ie. the universe exists by necessity - which is held by pantheists and most atheists).

2. The Universe does not exist by neccessity and its very existence is due to some causality. (The position held by theists).

3. There is no universe, but only projections of one's consciousness - which is basically the deification of self.

There is no scientific evidence/proof to support any of these positions - there is only speculation and -ultimately- only belief.

Yeah, I'd call atheism a believe structure; such DO NOT believe in god... agnostics would be more along the line of 'well, gee... um... I really don't know.'

There is probably more difference between an agnostic and an atheist; or between an agnostic and a theist, than there is between a theist and an atheist. Atheists and theists believe something definite about reality; agnostics do not.

No. And here is why...

The most important points from the link (though I do suggest you click on the link to read the rest)...

1. Atheism is not an "Ism"
When people talk about "isms," they are referring to some "distinctive doctrine, theory, system, or practice" like liberalism, communism, conservatism, or pacifism. The suffix "ism" also means a "state, condition, attribute, or quality" like pauperism, astigmatism, heroism, anachronism, or metabolism. Is astigmatism a theory? Is metabolism a doctrine? Is anachronism a practice? Not every word that ends in "ism" is a system of beliefs or an "ism" in the way people usually mean it.

2. Atheism Is Not An Ideology
An ideology is any "body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group." There are two key elements necessary for an ideology: it must be a group of ideas or beliefs and this group must provide guidance. Neither is true of atheism. First, atheism is by itself just the absence of belief in gods; it's not even a single belief, much less a body of beliefs. Second, atheism by itself offers no guidance on moral, social, or political matters. Atheism, like theism, can be part of an ideology, but neither can be an ideology by themselves.

3. Atheism Is Not A Philosophy
A person's philosophy is their "system of principles for guidance in practical affairs." Like ideology, a philosophy comprises of two key elements: it must be a group of beliefs and it must provide guidance. Atheism is not a philosophy for the same reason that it is not an ideology: it's not even a single belief, much less a system of interconnected beliefs, and by itself atheism does not guide anyone anywhere.

4. Atheism Is Not A Belief System
A belief system is a "faith based on a series of beliefs but not formalized into a religion; also, a fixed coherent set of beliefs prevalent in a community or society." This is simpler than an ideology or philosophy because it's just a group of beliefs; they don't have to be interconnected and they don't have to provide guidance. This still doesn't describe atheism; even if we narrowed atheism to denying the existence of gods, that's still just one belief and a single belief is not a set of beliefs. Theism is also a single belief that is not a belief system. Both theism and atheism are part of belief systems, though.

To me, even the term "atheism" is one I detest, despise and abhor beyond measure. To me, God(s) is/are nothing more than (a) mythological figure(s). There is no word for someone who does not believe in Zeus, Dionysus, The Flying Spaghetti Monster or The Tooth Fairy, nor should there be one for someone who does not believe in God(s).

4. Atheism Is Not A Belief System
A belief system is a "faith based on a series of beliefs but not formalized into a religion; also, a fixed coherent set of beliefs prevalent in a community or society." This is simpler than an ideology or philosophy because it's just a group of beliefs; they don't have to be interconnected and they don't have to provide guidance. This still doesn't describe atheism; even if we narrowed atheism to denying the existence of gods, that's still just one belief and a single belief is not a set of beliefs. Theism is also a single belief that is not a belief system. Both theism and atheism are part of belief systems, though.

But the question was "is atheism a belief?" and you have answered positively in your last statement.
:m075:

Reactions: Bird