IQ test | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

IQ test

Dear Cecil,

Thank you for your interest in the test at IQTest.com.

Your general IQ score is: 143

Having never taken the test before, it struck me as testing how good are you at visualizing, and how much can you keep in your head at one time. (And how accurately you can maintain it in your head) I don't really feel that's a good test of intelligence, just memory capabilities. Just because you need to take notes or write down the problem does NOT mean you're any more or less intelligent.

Having never taken the test before, it struck me as testing how good are you at visualizing, and how much can you keep in your head at one time. (And how accurately you can maintain it in your head) I don't really feel that's a good test of intelligence, just memory capabilities. Just because you need to take notes or write down the problem does NOT mean you're any more or less intelligent.

Erm, memory helps... but in many of the questions I got, you would be rewarded, for example, if you could reason out that adding an even number of odd numbers together would always result in an even number (as an IQ test tests both if the answer is right and how long you take to answer it.) rather than doing the math in your head. Further, being able to visualize (referred to in other aptitude tests as 'spatial imaging') is a HUGE factor in how accurately and quickly you can solve certain problems.

Yes, I mean... the definition of intelligence here is fuzzy, but aptitude as a generality is very important and worth measuring.

127 without spending time on the geometry questions because I honestly didn't care enough to think about them.

Wouldn't a better measure of ones intelligence be how much that person actually accomplishes in life? Who cares how high your IQ is if you never do anything with it? Some of the "smartest" people I know are also some of the dumbest when it comes to actually doing something outside of school related parameters.

Also; how can we be sure the people that have created these tests are so intelligent themselves?

Reactions: donkeybals
Wouldn't a better measure of ones intelligence be how much that person actually accomplishes in life? Who cares how high your IQ is if you never do anything with it? Some of the "smartest" people I know are also some of the dumbest when it comes to actually doing something outside of school related parameters.

Also; how can we be sure the people that have created these tests are so intelligent themselves?

General IQ is useful for determining how children should be treated/placed in school. For adults, it's a game. Multiple intelligences, at least, helps you make career choices.

General IQ is useful for determining how children should be treated/placed in school. For adults, it's a game. Multiple intelligences, at least, helps you make career choices.

Which...is good and bad, IMO. Because kids know when they're being singled out, and they feel that they're either "smart" or "dumb" compared to what classes they're taking. And sometimes that qualification isn't fair (nor is the pressure!). Sometimes kids just want to be kids, and they want to be in the classes where their friends are.

Obviously, I'm not a proponent of labeling kids or placement of kids based on their IQs. I think there are better ways, and in fact I think some of the kids labeled as "slower" may just be bored and need higher level courses to stimulate them. Some of them take IQ tests and do poorly on parts because they honestly don't get the questions - not because they're too dumb, but because the question doesn't match with their perception of the world.

I'm really just saying that we can't use IQ to determine placement of a child that may influence them for the rest of their lives. I've seen too many even at the college level crash and burn because of this magical IQ, which was supposed to make everything go well for them.

I still say all students should be in the same classroom, but there should be more peer counseling. If the student is smart enough, then they should be teaching their peers what they know. Even at the grade school level.

But meh. Really, I'm not slamming anyone for their opinions. I'm just saying we shouldn't use IQ as the "end all/be all" label for intelligence or intelligent people. Arts, music, literature, and debate/social skills should be just as valid qualifiers for intelligence markers.

Reactions: dream echo
Which...is good and bad, IMO. Because kids know when they're being singled out, and they feel that they're either "smart" or "dumb" compared to what classes they're taking. And sometimes that qualification isn't fair (nor is the pressure!). Sometimes kids just want to be kids, and they want to be in the classes where their friends are.

I agree, Arbygil. I went to a high school that didn't use IQ tests or even subject exam results to stream students according to ability. The school also rejected the idea of ranking students although they did reward exceptional performance in particular subjects. Once you qualified to do the subject and there were enough spaces you were allowed. I think the benefit was that it discouraged excessive competition; encouraged slower students to improve without feeling they were fundamentally inferior and; encouraged more gifted students to get involved with helping the slower students to learn, which in turn helped the gifted students "solidify" their knowledge.

I agree, Arbygil. I went to a high school that didn't use IQ tests or even subject exam results to stream students according to ability. The school also rejected the idea of ranking students although they did reward exceptional performance in particular subjects. Once you qualified to do the subject and there were enough spaces you were allowed. I think the benefit was that it discouraged excessive competition; encouraged slower students to improve without feeling they were fundamentally inferior and; encouraged more gifted students to get involved with helping the slower students to learn, which in turn helped the gifted students "solidify" their knowledge.

I was extremely grateful for my gifted programs. I would have died of boredom without them. Giftedness is like any other special need. It has to be identified because gifted students have different needs than non-gifted students. It wouldn't make any more sense to make a student with a 140 IQ sit and do lessons designed for people of average intelligence than one with a 60 IQ. The other alternative would be to allow students to study whatever they want at their own pace, in which case every student could find their own level, but such a radical idea could never take hold, could it?

I was extremely grateful for my gifted programs. I would have died of boredom without them. Giftedness is like any other special need. It has to be identified because gifted students have different needs than non-gifted students. It wouldn't make any more sense to make a student with a 140 IQ sit and do lessons designed for people of average intelligence than one with a 60 IQ. The other alternative would be to allow students to study whatever they want at their own pace, in which case every student could find their own level, but such a radical idea could never take hold, could it?

It has been scientifically proven that students that are randomly told that they are gifted are more likely to do well in school than they otherwise would (I could easily see the same happening in reverse) no one likes to be made to feel inferior, unfortunately I can't cite the studies at the moment but this is something that has been tested quite a few times and always comes up the same.

I'm also curious as to what makes you think IQ tests are such great estimators of intelligence. Logical and spacial intelligence sure, but surely there is more to our complex human minds than that.

That makes sense. However, I'm not familiar with how an American classroom is run. Generally, our teachers give individual attention and though some assignments go across the board, others are tailored to the individual. Therefore, I don't see how the gifted student would suffer in that situation.

What I do know is that school in my country traditionally pushes students harder than they do in the US. We complete high school by 16 years of age. Then we do an additional two years of sixth form which is comparable to community college in some respects. I have noticed that our system is becoming more Americanized and I'm not terribly happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been scientifically proven that students that are randomly told that they are gifted are more likely to do well in school than they otherwise would (I could easily see the same happening in reverse) no one likes to be made to feel inferior, unfortunately I can't cite the studies at the moment but this is something that has been tested quite a few times and always comes up the same.

I'm also curious as to what makes you think IQ tests are such great estimators of intelligence. Logical and spacial intelligence sure, but surely there is more to our complex human minds than that.

I am aware of those studies. IQ is only one measurement of giftedness. Nevertheless, we can agree that gifted students exist. They may be gifted in different directions but whether it is logical, spatial, music, naturalism, etc., they should be encouraged to develop their gifts rather than be left to languish in classrooms that are inhospitable to them.

That makes sense. However, I'm not familiar with how an American classroom is run. Generally, our teachers give individual attention and though some assignments go across the board, others are tailored to the individual. Therefore, I don't see how the gifted student would suffer in that situation.

What I do know is that school in Jamaica traditionally pushes students harder than they do in the US. We complete high school by 16 years of age. Then we do an additional two years of sixth form which is comparable to community college in some respects. I have noticed that our system is becoming more Americanized and I'm not terribly happy with it.

I went to elementary school in Canada and junior high/high school in the US. They were pretty teacher centered. I think the difference between my gifted program and the standard program was that the gifted program involved a lot of free exploration and creative, project centered work.

If every student (not only those identified as gifted) could be given work that excited their own interests, this would be ideal for me.

Reactions: not sure
I think it would be ideal if every student could be taught as a gifted student - and not tell them. Some schools are experimental schools that allow students to "be who they are" with excellent results: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15322289

And: http://www.edc.org/newsroom/press_releases/visionary_middle_schools (for research)

And I know I could find hundreds of other references. It *can* happen, to have a unique school that actually teaches students of all kinds of cultural backgrounds. It just doesn't happen in a public school, normally.

I think it would be ideal if every student could be taught as a gifted student - and not tell them. Some schools are experimental schools that allow students to "be who they are" with excellent results: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15322289

And: http://www.edc.org/newsroom/press_releases/visionary_middle_schools (for research)

And I know I could find hundreds of other references. It *can* happen, to have a unique school that actually teaches students of all kinds of cultural backgrounds. It just doesn't happen in a public school, normally.

I agree with this notion [MENTION=442]arbygil[/MENTION] and also [MENTION=2743]whytiger[/MENTION] although I think I misunderstood what you where driving at originally, but yes I do agree it would be nice if students could grow in areas they showed aptitude in rather than being jammed into a mold.

Perhaps it would be prudent to split the topic of educational systems into a new topic? as to not detract from people that want to post their scores here.

This is a great arguement. I generally base overall intellegence on a person completing objectives in their life. If they are living up to their own life's expectations they are doing a fantastic job. It's not what you know or how you think. It may have great potential but meaningless if you don't apply it.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Took it again and got 133 (was 127 about two weeks ago.)

Hanging out on this forum must be making me smarter, lol!:whoo:

Dear FirstName Surname,
Thank you for your interest in the test at IQTest.com.
Your general IQ score is: 137

As I thought... 70

Haha! I got 91. Not correct. I had it professionally done when I was younger. All my mom would tell me is "Based on the score you received, you should be sailing through school."
I asked her repeatedly what it was and she kept saying "You'd let it go to your head."

-Anna

Haha! I got 91. Not correct. I had it professionally done when I was younger. All my mom would tell me is "Based on the score you received, you should be sailing through school."
I asked her repeatedly what it was and she kept saying "You'd let it go to your head."

-Anna

School did the same with me. They tested everyone an placed them in certain programs based on their score. Only thing I knew from it is that I was placed in a "talented and gifted" program which I later dropped out of when I became a rebellious teenager. I guess a high IQ doesn't always mean smart :m119: