Intuition? | INFJ Forum

Intuition?

Do you feel like this?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • I feel this way to some extent. (Please Explain)

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Faye

^_^
Retired Staff
Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Is the reason that people are more intuitive than others because they have less of their intuition submerged in the autonomic mind?

I've been thinking about this today. I have a hard time recognizing my intuition unless I am trying to imagine possibilities for something. Other people seem to make associations much more quickly and easily than I do, and in some cases I can't make them at all or understand some concept that everyone else in the room understands (this has happened at school before).

I'm not sure what the issue is, but what I am trying to say is that it seems like my mind is much slower than other people's when it comes to making automatic or subconcious associations. Its like possibility is the default, but if I think about it and actively search for the information, I can come up with a context from which to deduce the proper association or the common association that people are looking for. I'm not saying my mind doesn't have associations; it has millions probably. It just seems to have relatively less and much weaker ones than most people. As a result, most people think that I'm a random person, and most people don't like that either. I had one teacher in high school who did like it though, and he would ask me questions that, in order for me to understand, I would have had to make extremely random/obscure associations in order to answer.

Does anyone else feel this way or experience anything like this? Or does what I said even make sense?

I'm not sure what the result of this is either.

I make snap associations pretty quick, pick up on obscure patterns that are perceived in the foggiest way and only to be understood and sharpened and communicated to others after very careful deliberation.

It's the Ne, for me though.

Last edited:
I'm also a snap decision maker. Most of the time I don't even know how I reached my conclusions until after I've reached them.
It's like my brain makes the connections so quickly that my conscious mind is barely aware of them. I just feel that I've gone through a justifiable process without knowing the specific details, if that makes sense.

It's funny this question was asked because I don't think I'm that intuitive either. I've been wondering about this for a while, trying to figure out how tuition really works.

I can't say I've ever really noticed it. I've been put in the "gifted student" category for as long as I can remember -- associating has never been difficult for me, and neither has back-tracking on my snap decisions (which I learned here that that's somewhat harder for Ni users).

Sometimes, though, it's difficult for me to understand certain concepts -- I get stuck on math a lot, it seems, among other things.

I kind of do, but maybe it's the same thing with a different package. For example, sometimes my intuition will be telling me something but I'm not actively listening to it...kind of like someone softly poking me when I'm engrossed in something. I might not notice it at first, but I'm annoyed by it without consciously realizing it. And then I suddenly whirl on it with a, "What?!" And then I face intuition head in with an, "ahah!" moment.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but what I am trying to say is that it seems like my mind is much slower than other people's when it comes to making automatic or subconcious associations.

I find I can take longer to store such associations in the first place. On recall, it can sometimes result in associations with unexpected depth.

Of course, on the other hand, it does sometimes lead to bizarre associations. But you don't need any examples of that....

We need Von Hase!

I think he described it somewhere on here, that Ni is pulling information together constantly, but it's internal so we don't always recognize it's happening until the "aha" moment comes together. While Ne is drawing external information more, and can put the answers together quickly based on what's going on around them.

It's the biggest debate I have with ENFP folks (mostly males): They're using the wrong information to come up with the (technically) right conclusion. While for me, I think it's I use the right information, but I can come up with (technically) a wrong conclusion.

But meh, I could be off here. That's the only way I've been able to separate Ne from Ni when it happens.

We need Von Hase!

I think he described it somewhere on here, that Ni is pulling information together constantly, but it's internal so we don't always recognize it's happening until the "aha" moment comes together. While Ne is drawing external information more, and can put the answers together quickly based on what's going on around them.

Sounds right. I think because the intuitive process is not necessarily conscious, and consequently not easy to visually or verbally explain, it is too often described as "psychic."

Last edited:
i believe Ni is probably the slowest yet most holistic as opposed to its opposite, Se, which is probably the fastest yet most particular in coming to a conclusion or initiating action.

i think i readily and easily make probable judgements and take much longer to come to a real conclusion, yet when i do it is very definite...at least until a whole new process of sifting through perspectives/contexts changes what i had previously concluded.

You could say I am a bit slow at understanding compared to some when it comes to mechanical aspects and such, however, when these people claim to understand it, they don't really understand in the way I aspire. They can repeat what was said, but they don't have a fundamental and deep understanding of it, which I see as a necessity.

When I understand something I understand it on a much deeper level and can explain the most complex aspects in a simple fashion...

Sometimes, though, it's difficult for me to understand certain concepts -- I get stuck on math a lot, it seems, among other things.

Math and Ni do not mix. I have had that smacked out of me so many times. Part of the reason I hate math. Applied math (with maybe the exception of physics) though, works great with Ni.

Hmm, this is how I see the "speed" of each function in a hiearchy.

Ne > Se > Fe > Te > Ti > Fi > Si > Ni

Yay, it ended up being a pattern. Albeit, this is just how I see it, people could see it differently then I do.

You could say I am a bit slow at understanding compared to some when it comes to mechanical aspects and such, however, when these people claim to understand it, they don't really understand in the way I aspire. They can repeat what was said, but they don't have a fundamental and deep understanding of it, which I see as a necessity.

When I understand something I understand it on a much deeper level and can explain the most complex aspects in a simple fashion...

I agree. Not that it is always possible to have a deep understanding of all things, but for me, I find that I can only learn something properly if I understand its inner workings. If it's just bits and pieces of information from partial sources, it is much harder to grasp a concept. Learning requires considering the big picture, including the way different ideas or concepts are interconnected rather than having a superficial understanding or general idea based on a list of facts or information.

I would much rather know one or two things well and have a complete understanding than have a superficial understanding of a number of things (but it really depends.) No one can survive without some general knowledge, but personally a deeper understanding of a subject is more fulfilling.

Last edited:
i believe Ni is probably the slowest yet most holistic as opposed to its opposite, Se, which is probably the fastest yet most particular in coming to a conclusion or initiating action.

i think i readily and easily make probable judgements and take much longer to come to a real conclusion, yet when i do it is very definite...at least until a whole new process of sifting through perspectives/contexts changes what i had previously concluded.

Oh great! This is exactly what I was going to say. I completely agree with this.

I'm intuitive in my decision making, and often times it is quick, but other times it is hindered by my fear of risk-taking or actually having to decide. Sometimes I'd just rather dwell in possibility than be stuck with an outcome for x amount of time.

Math and Ni do not mix. I have had that smacked out of me so many times. Part of the reason I hate math. Applied math (with maybe the exception of physics) though, works great with Ni.

See, I like physics if I have the resources and formulas to work with :D

Is the reason that people are more intuitive than others because they have less of their intuition submerged in the autonomic mind?

I've been thinking about this today. I have a hard time recognizing my intuition unless I am trying to imagine possibilities for something. Other people seem to make associations much more quickly and easily than I do, and in some cases I can't make them at all or understand some concept that everyone else in the room understands (this has happened at school before).

I'm not sure what the issue is, but what I am trying to say is that it seems like my mind is much slower than other people's when it comes to making automatic or subconcious associations. Its like possibility is the default, but if I think about it and actively search for the information, I can come up with a context from which to deduce the proper association or the common association that people are looking for. I'm not saying my mind doesn't have associations; it has millions probably. It just seems to have relatively less and much weaker ones than most people. As a result, most people think that I'm a random person, and most people don't like that either. I had one teacher in high school who did like it though, and he would ask me questions that, in order for me to understand, I would have had to make extremely random/obscure associations in order to answer.

Does anyone else feel this way or experience anything like this? Or does what I said even make sense?

I think part of the issue is really know what Ni or Ne feels like.

I know for myself I didn't understand that a majority of how I thought was Ni. It just felt almost subconscious. Thats why I thought I might have been an ISFJ or other sensor. But I thought about how my mind works. And realized that I was detecting patterns. But I wasn't vocalizing it well so I didn't realize I was using Ni. Now I can tell when something is Ni. I've also found that I'm rather intuitive. But I wasn't raised around another N so I didn't know what I was looking for.

I don't think how fast one thinks or "intuits" is important despite the unfortunate emphasis the education and psychology establishments place on speed. Even though most school exams and intelligence tests are timed, it has been my experience that speed is usually irrelevant in solving real life problems. I generally score around 100% intuition on my MBTI tests and it is a major function I use as an inventor and, essentially, professional problem solver. Sometimes I solve a problem quickly or, even, immediately, in that I just "see" the answer, i.e., it is inherent in the properly articulated question. Other times it may take months to work out a solution. Some problems I've been thinking about for years.

Because most of the critical developments in science and art often take years to conceive and implement, it is ironic that mental processing speed (including intuition) is so highly prized. I would argue that slower thinking is often better thinking and it should be encouraged.

I don't think slow or fast has anything to do with more or less intuition. Some people tend to consciously focus on things when they collect information and make judgments, and other people kind of keep it in the background (and some people prefer doing both).

I don't think you have a weaker ability to connect, perhaps you just like to take your time when you perceive and judge information. Nothing wrong with that, patience is a virtue, most definitely.