Intuition? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Intuition?

Do you feel like this?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • I feel this way to some extent. (Please Explain)

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
I don't think how fast one thinks or "intuits" is important despite the unfortunate emphasis the education and psychology establishments place on speed. Even though most school exams and intelligence tests are timed, it has been my experience that speed is usually irrelevant in solving real life problems.

The point about speed is an important one. So much emphasis is placed on quickness of responses, or how quickly information can be read and processed, such that those who take a little longer to read, understand, or learn the material are always at a disadvantage.

For example, at the graduate level, I always enjoyed theory, but I'm not a quick reader. It takes me a while to read through the dense readings compared to others, but I understand quite a bit when I finish reading and my understanding is quite expansive. But when the structure of a class is based on how much can be read and processed in a short period of time, it's extremely difficult, and in these types of courses, I was rarely successful.

The point about speed is an important one. So much emphasis is placed on quickness of responses, or how quickly information can be read and processed, such that those who take a little longer to read, understand, or learn the material are always at a disadvantage.

For example, at the graduate level, I always enjoyed theory, but I'm not a quick reader. It takes me a while to read through the dense readings compared to others, but I understand quite a bit when I finish reading and my understanding is quite expansive. But when the structure of a class is based on how much can be read and processed in a short period of time, it's extremely difficult, and in these types of courses, I was rarely successful.

Agreed 100%, I learned through school to adapt by skimming everything which left me with an understanding good enough for the test, but not a thorough understanding. Now of course I didn't care because I wasn't interested in the material very much, but I still think it is a horrible way to teach people to be.

In the "real world" a thorough understanding is generally more important than speed, yet we emphasize speed in school.