INTPs and emotions | INFJ Forum

INTPs and emotions

Mystic7

Regular Poster
Aug 23, 2009
MBTI
none
I am on the verge of possibly dating an INTP. But, I must say I just don't 'get' her. Lol. As an INFJ I read most people right off the bat, and before much time has gone by, I can typically say accurately what kind of person they are, etc. She comes across as being easygoing and chilled out. But beyond that I'm not really picking anything up. She seems almost emotionless. Are INTPs emotionless??? Or what is their deal when it comes to emotions.

INTPs aren't emotionless, per se, we just have a significantly different means of dealing with them than most.

Not knowing this particular girl, I can't really say for certain, but there is somewhat of a high probability that she might be holding back certain things.
The best suggestion I have for you is to ask her questions along the lines of (when they can be worked into the conversation appropriately and non-nonchalantly)...
"How are you feeling?"
"Is anything on your mind?"
"Did you do anything interesting today?"
"What do you think of..."
It's probably safe to say, that the brevity of her answers is inversely proportional to how much she cares to give them.
If she tends to give you the same generic answers, I'd say you're in for trouble...

Whenever I would ask my old INTP any of the above type questions, I'd always get the same unfullfulling answers... "Good." "Fine." "Nothing." "No." "I don't know."
So, if your INTP does this, she may legitimately have trouble expressing herself, or, she may just not care enough to tell you certain things, as unkind as that may sound.

She has emotions, no doubt, it's just a matter of if she is willing to talk about them with you or not.

Best of luck to you, and I hope it turns out a lot better than it did for me.

Last edited:
I had a very similar experience with an intp. I met one for the first time last year. I have no problem figuring people out but she was tough to crack. She was very sarcastic; I have no problems spotting a lie but she lied so convincingly I would double guess myself and start to believe her.(It was all in good fun though) I attributed this to her lack of emotions. I was always trying to peel away to a different layer or speculating if it was even there. I soon realized that she is just very logical theoretical and blunt. But this was what I liked about her; she was very authentic with herself. My only problems with her were times she would say or do something that hurt my feelings without her knowing ,and I was seldom to admit my sensitivities. Also she didn't have as great a desirer of social interaction as I did. Her lack of need to interact made me think at first she didn't like me that much. So I withdrew from her for a while; only later she would land up coming to me saying that she hadn't heard from me in a while and we would land up hanging out. I can't speak for all intp's but they seem to be interesting and smart people. They also come up with excellent ideas.

Last edited:
Some INTPs like to wear masks and decieve people. It seems unlikely that she'll reveal her true character right away.

Reactions: Lurk
I am on the verge of possibly dating an INTP. But, I must say I just don't 'get' her. Lol. As an INFJ I read most people right off the bat, and before much time has gone by, I can typically say accurately what kind of person they are, etc. She comes across as being easygoing and chilled out. But beyond that I'm not really picking anything up. She seems almost emotionless. Are INTPs emotionless??? Or what is their deal when it comes to emotions.

lol... beautiful!

No.... it's a product of the inferior function, I think. I'm pretty sure that just about every type protects their inferior function. They all sort of realize it as a weak point, and guard it as if their lives depended on it. That's your basic INTP: don't try to argue with them on emotional grounds unless they trust you, lol, because nothing feels more like you're being attacked from behind than someone who tries to argue by eliciting your empathy.

On the other end of things... if the girl trusts you emotionally, then she trusts you completely. In the meantime: relax, and enjoy the peace of being around someone who doesn't need you to mirror their feelings all the time :).

My sis is an INTP, deep down she is very sensitive but she can dismiss her feelings in in many cases.

sry I just remembered I promised my sister (INTP) that I wouldn't talk about her on the forum. sry.

Last edited:
Half the time I'm oblivious to my emotions. They're definitely there but it's not something I ruminate over. The world is endlessly fascinating and I'm not, I don't regard myself much. My emotions seem a thousand miles away sometimes, and I experience them almost vicariously. If my sentiments are elusive even to me how can I even begin to express them to someone else?

Last edited:
sherlock+08.png

She seems almost emotionless. Are INTPs emotionless???
Alllllllmost.... not quite. 99.9999% of time Neutral/No emotion 0.0001% of time THE MOST INTENSE BURNING EMOTION EVER WITNESSED IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND... Then back to being dead inside.

Beep, Boop, Robut.

Reactions: Happy Phantom
My boyfriend is an INTP and he's not emotionless but he seems much more logical than emotional in many situations.

Reactions: Reason
Half the time I'm oblivious to my emotions. They're definitely there but it's not something I ruminate over. The world is endlessly fascinating and I'm not, I don't regard myself much. My emotions seem a thousand miles away sometimes, and I experience them almost vicariously. If my sentiments are elusive even to me how can I even begin to express them to someone else?

I should let others speak for me.
Dead on.

Oops, 2009. Okay, timeless words of wisdom then.

Reactions: Reason and Wyote
Dated an INTP when I was at Uni and she was most genuine and sweet. Looking back on it though... I'd define her as a variation of hippie / flower child. Very carefree and willing to throw out thoughts and ideas (once comfortable) and usually without much concern. Amiable is a good term. But in my instance considering her personal story... Admirable!

An acquired taste none the less.