infjs in sports and competition | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

infjs in sports and competition

I hate competing... especially when it comes to sports. Though, I hate sports without competing also.

Whenever my friends suggest that we could play eg. football, I just say that I'm going to stay on the side then and watch them play because I'm not interested in playing it.

I just don't get it... Well, maybe I even shouldn't get it. :)

I don't like playing "professionally," but games and sports just for fun are great :) I'm pretty competitive too, and I actually really enjoy physically aggressive games.

Im competitive in general especially playing sports, but I dont mind losing once Ive played well or tried my best. I like non competitive sports or activities like gym, hill walking, kayaking.

I like to play tennis, but I hate competing. I sometimes get competitive, but that's pretty rare of me to do so. I don't even watch sports. It sometimes sucks because you can't join in a conversation with guys about who won the baseball game, why this team sucks, etc. But, I guess that's just not me.

I did MMA for a bit. But it's for competitive Extroverted sensors and is fuelled by money, ego and testosterone. Fuck that shit. I still do the same kind of stuff but it's not a sport so it's not aimed at beating others, so the competitive element is lost.

I'm in my school's swimming and lifesaving team. I hate competeting but do so 'cos its the best way to let my resume look good and that it seems to be the convention in the team that you are required to compete

I do best with the kind of sports that aren't group related.

Like swimming.

Although I enjoy a bit of competition. I hate it when people take things personally.
So I kicked you ass in Hearts. Deal with it. My husband won't even play against me in games like chess, or backgammon...or cribbage...

It sucks sometimes.

Sports seem so pointless to me. If I could convince myself there was a point to playing a sport, I have no doubt I would become very good at it and quickly. I'm talking of competitive sports of course.
On the other hand, kicking a ball around (or throwing a frisbee) with friends is fun, and the point is to have fun with friends, which I can understand. I don't have to be any good at it to enjoy myself - in fact the worse I am, the more fun it is. So no point wasting time getting good.

Watching other people play sports seems even more pointless, unless they are family/friends who want support.

I used to adamantly hate any type of athletic activity when I was in high school and part of college, but I am more open to them now. Since I have started working out regularly and attending kickboxing classes, I feel more "athletic" than I used to. I have never been a huge fan of stuff like basketball or football, and watching "the game" is akin to the 9th circle of hell. I do enjoy doing a lot of athletic things, such as hiking and running. One day, I would like to take up a martial art, but am undecided as to what would be suitable.

I've enjoyed vollyball, softball and bowling but I hate sports on TV, especially football. NASCAR is pointless.

My biggest problem in basketball, well all of the sports I have ever played, is agression and confidence. Basketball required me to be so agressive! It's so unlike me. In tennis I typically lose all confidence when I step into a match (terrible terrible nerves) and so I just kind of "tap" it. No full swings. My dad says "Just calm yourself"

He makes it sound so simple. Not so, not so!

I would sort of like to have more medals and such (older sisters making me look like a slacker, gracias), but it's draining for me. So maybe I'm too passive. But I did when this cartoon periodic table element superhero contest in 8th grade. Gallium gal first place! :)

But that's about it, haha.

I'm good at football, due to my strength and speed. But soccer (real football) is a much better sport.

As for me being feminine, no, quite the opposite, at least when I'm out with other people, but if they manage to penetrate my shell I'm the biggest cry baby there is, but I don't peg that as feminine.

Watching sport however is pain...

Thank you Sith.

Crying and feminine are not synonymous. Anyone who thinks so will suffer my ninja brutality.

I'm not good at sports because it seems arbitrary (although I understand that it is good exercise, develops skill and social interaction etc.) At the moment that I and someone else is going for the ball, my inner dialog concludes that they seem to want it far more than I do, so it only makes sense to let them have it. All that happens in a split second.

YES! This combined with gross-motor clumsiness pretty much seals the deal...

Baseball was my nemesis. The pressure of being at bat! ...it was like a public colonoscopy.

I liked dodgeball, though, and especially the variant called "elimination," which was all about defense until the final moments of the game (when I invariably lost after holding out the whole time).

Last edited:
My biggest problem in basketball, well all of the sports I have ever played, is agression and confidence. Basketball required me to be so agressive! It's so unlike me. In tennis I typically lose all confidence when I step into a match (terrible terrible nerves) and so I just kind of "tap" it. No full swings. My dad says "Just calm yourself"

He makes it sound so simple. Not so, not so!

I would sort of like to have more medals and such (older sisters making me look like a slacker, gracias), but it's draining for me. So maybe I'm too passive. But I did when this cartoon periodic table element superhero contest in 8th grade. Gallium gal first place! :)

But that's about it, haha.

That's the same exact problem I used to have with sports, especially basketball. But at some point durring my Freshmen year I broke it and now when I play I'm almost the otheer extreme. I still get a bit unsure of myslef when i have the ball but most of the time i'm one of the most agressive players on the court especially on deffence. When I play I use all of the pent up emotions as fuel. It's almost like entering an altered state of mind.

I may have to try this.
Yeah, I function on extremes, too. I once ripped the ball out of this girls hands (she was the only one scronnier than I was on the whole court), and she fell down. Of course I helped her up. Some dad in the stands was like "It was a great play until you helped her up" jokingly of course. But I was I just gonna let her sit there? I'm not a meanie-head!

I used to play soccer some years ago and I liked being on a team and I liked the fact that the aggression didnt seem as high as other sports. However, my lack of coordination stifled hopes of me contributing any more than just effort :p I also joined a gym but didnt stick it out because it bored me. In fact thats what I think about sport, it bores me. I'd rather talk with someone than compete. Just my opinion though.

One of the only sports I've really found myself enjoying is paintball. It requires thought, planning, and real teamwork. It's a shame it's so damn expensive.

I cannot cope with indoor exercise. I hopelessly attempted today. Thankfully dad offered to go on a walk with me!

I think outdoor exercise and recreational sports tend to have a "goal" to them, rather than just exercising.

i.e. the point of tag is to get yer friends, not to run around....the runnning around is a byproduct.

I really HATE sports! mainly cause I suck at them ;_; (I've failed sports in school almost all my life)