INFJs and feeling like you'll never find love | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

INFJs and feeling like you'll never find love

Listen, Silently Honest, I am literally in the business of love and romance...ironic huh? I can tell you for the most part, I meet and speak to many people on their way to getting married. I can tell you with great certainty that women like myself are never chosen. Why you might ask? Men tend to like average, dumb, cloying women who stroke their egos. And since I am unable to do this without feeling like I've gutted a part of soul, I doubt that I'll be in a relationship anytime soon. I just wish to god that people, for whom relationships magically materialize, would just keep their oft-regurgitated advice to themselves.

Heck, where do all the wise, ok looking girls/women hide then...? Have been looking for them but can only find ones who are best described as pure blondes...

I donno if I'm some kind of exception anyways for trying to find a partner who I can connect mentally too... Physical side is always too easy and usually works quite easy.

I know there are people out there who would fit well with my personality. BUT there always seems to be something in the way.

For instance: I found a nearly perfect guy who meshes wonderfully with my personality -- even he thinks so.
Problem: He's gay.

And that tends to be the general pattern to my life. It's extremely frustrating.

Or they'r already with someone and just to make sure you dont cause any bad feelings you back off.. sucks :/

Currently involved with an INFJ. Yeah, physical is easy. Problem is getting either of us to open up emotionally and mentally. We're at a stand-off on "baring our souls", provided we have them.

Any advice on how to help a cautious INTP break down INFJ walls?

Currently involved with an INFJ. Yeah, physical is easy. Problem is getting either of us to open up emotionally and mentally. We're at a stand-off on "baring our souls", provided we have them.

Any advice on how to help a cautious INTP break down INFJ walls?

There is a convenient door in INFJ walls.

Find out what they are passionate about and show geninune interest in knowing more about it.

INFJs will talk so animatedly about their interest that they will forget their walls, overtime they will eventually get comfortable with that person, and they will stop putting them up.

Found that door. It leads to, well, to his idealistic passion in life, that BTW has very little to do with our relationship. I want to find a door that opens to "us".

I think I'm hanging in some suspended animation while we're taking data on each other.

I agree that this answer may sound insulting to some, because it is just not reasonable. It's no better than "drink this gipsy love potion". Yet it has some value, which I can extract to this: love will find you, when you're ready for it. This gives a lot more ground to work on.
Short answer: this.

Long answer: when people say "don't look" they mean "don't obsess", but they don't say that. They say don't look. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I'm firmly convinced that if you don't keep your eyes open opportunities can, and generally will, pass you by.

And if by "don't look" people mean "don't obsess" then yes, they're right. Obsessing will make you desperate. Desperation will magnify setbacks. It'll make you feel as if you are to blame when nothing materializes. It'll reinforce negative self imagery and people will pick up on that in their dealings with you. It'll make you try harder, too hard, and that will turn people off, turning the whole thing into a self fulfilling prophecy.

You lose sight of the fact that what you're looking for is someone worthy of sharing everything with. You'll be so caught up in finding someone, anyone, so caught up in impressing other people, that you fail to realize that they should just as much be trying to impress you. And then even if something does happen, it's probably not going to end well unless you catch a very lucky break.

So, you can't obsess. You need to love yourself before you can expect anyone else to love you, feel good about yourself, and that will make you desirable to others. When you feel good about yourself you'll be less caught up in trying to impress those people and more in assessing whether they're right for you or not. Create an upward spiral of positivity, not a downward one of negativity.

But once you get into that upwards spiral there's no reason you shouldn't look. The only reason why this - in my eyes - semantically wrong dogma has such a following is because most people can expect to meet lots of random people of a gender and sexual preference without trying. If for some reason you don't meet many people who have basic compatibility like that then sitting on your thumbs waiting for "fate" to cut you a break and toss someone into your lap is of course idiocy.

I'm a lesbian. I don't really meet gay girls in my daily life enough to be able to rely on finding someone by chance. Even if I do meet one it's not like we have a secret dyke handshake we can exchange, so I probably will never even know if that cute girl across the way is into girls too. So yeah, I'm looking, if by looking you mean "trying to meet people and then assessing whether they're compatible at all".

If by looking you mean "being obsessed and desperate", then no.

TL;DR: That adage needs to be rewritten to "don't be desperate" or "don't obsess", not "don't look".

Reactions: VH
Could it be that he's waiting on me to declare my undying love & devotion?

Nope. He's waiting to make sure it's actually there. Words are something; consistent actions are another.

The reason why showing interest in passion is important, whether it be about the relationship or not, is that it shows that you care. There are some things that people don't care to learn about in other people, and showing interest in something that he has a great passion for is a great way to show that you're interested in HIM, which will help him open up.

There's really no quick fixes, unfortunately. It takes a lot of time for most INFJs...

Reactions: VH
Found that door. It leads to, well, to his idealistic passion in life, that BTW has very little to do with our relationship. I want to find a door that opens to "us".

I think I'm hanging in some suspended animation while we're taking data on each other.

ROFL!

The "us" door is opened with romance.

Confessions are good as long as you are certain the INFJ feels the same way.

Nope. He's waiting to make sure it's actually there. Words are something; consistent actions are another.

The reason why showing interest in passion is important, whether it be about the relationship or not, is that it shows that you care. There are some things that people don't care to learn about in other people, and showing interest in something that he has a great passion for is a great way to show that you're interested in HIM, which will help him open up.

There's really no quick fixes, unfortunately. It takes a lot of time for most INFJs...

Nicely said.

I'm just not interested in love anymore.It takes too much energy and besides, I love being by myself and "love" doesn't exist in my vocabulary anymore. Done with it...so NEXT! :D

ROFL!

The "us" door is opened with romance.

Confessions are good as long as you are certain the INFJ feels the same way.

Romance??? I'm an INTP for christ sakes. We don't know what this means, so I guess I'm in deep doo doo on this one.

And I have no idea how he feels about me, although he drives 5 and a half hours to visit me every chance he can, which gives me an indication he doesn't hate me!

He likes you. If he does that, it's a good indication.

Make sure he knows that you're okay with him lovin' on you. I don't know about other INFJs, but I'm really paranoid about coming on too strong. Like, if I had a choice I'd be texting them all the time and be next to them as much as possible. But I wait a loooong time before doing that, and I have to have signals from the other person that this is okay and that they actually care about me in return.

You don't have to be romantic. Just show consistent, genuine interest. That's really all it takes. Not many people in this world sincerely care, but that's really all you need.

He likes you. If he does that, it's a good indication.

Make sure he knows that you're okay with him lovin' on you. I don't know about other INFJs, but I'm really paranoid about coming on too strong. Like, if I had a choice I'd be texting them all the time and be next to them as much as possible. But I wait a loooong time before doing that, and I have to have signals from the other person that this is okay and that they actually care about me in return.

You don't have to be romantic. Just show consistent, genuine interest. That's really all it takes. Not many people in this world sincerely care, but that's really all you need.

Thnx. Consistent, genuine interest is not a problem since I sincerely care. I haven't gotten to the L word yet, but it's looming.

Take your time. If it's an INFJ and you guys are genuinely interested in each other, you might be in for the long term ;)

Romance??? I'm an INTP for christ sakes. We don't know what this means, so I guess I'm in deep doo doo on this one.

And I have no idea how he feels about me, although he drives 5 and a half hours to visit me every chance he can, which gives me an indication he doesn't hate me!

Unfortunately, I have yet to meet an INFJ who isn't to some degree a romantic. However, you are in luck. Romance isn't an art; it's a science. INTPs are usually pretty good at science. The key to understanding how to use romance is to study it. Learn the method. I'll even give you some tiips...

1. Show genuine interest.
2. Be generous with praise and compliments.
3. Use touch when you can. (a gentle touch on the arm, stroking of hair, holding hands, etc.)
4. Find ways to show him that you care about him.

The method to romance it to make them feel good about being with you. That is all there is to it. The flowers, chocolates, cards, music, mood lighting, lovey dovey nonsense, etc. is all a ploy to get a person to know you are interested and to get them to like being around you. INFJs feel especially good about people who can put them in a good mood and so they tend to be romantic.

I'm just not interested in love anymore.It takes too much energy and besides, I love being by myself and "love" doesn't exist in my vocabulary anymore. Done with it...so NEXT! :D
I don't give a g'damn about it either. It's thrilling to meet someone new, and it's warm and comfy to have a relationship.. Those things are enjoyable, but I could get on without it.

Besides, I have a bad habit of focusing too much energy on boy of the year and neglecting myself in the process. I'm working on curbing that. Slowly trying to rid myself of a nasty messiah complex..

But it'd be nice to meet someone someday who just wanted to have exclusive adventures with me, who didn't need constant nurturing and praise. In the meantime, I'll just have adventures on my own.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have yet to meet an INFJ who isn't to some degree a romantic. However, you are in luck. Romance isn't an art; it's a science. INTPs are usually pretty good at science. The key to understanding how to use romance is to study it. Learn the method. I'll even give you some tiips...

3. Use touch when you can. (a gentle touch on the arm, stroking of hair, holding hands, etc.)
4. Find ways to show him that you care about him.

The method to romance it to make them feel good about being with you. That is all there is to it. The flowers, chocolates, cards, music, mood lighting, lovey dovey nonsense, etc. is all a ploy to get a person to know you are interested and to get them to like being around you. INFJs feel especially good about people who can put them in a good mood and so they tend to be romantic.

BUSTED. Yep, I'm a scientist.

I'm doing well with 1. and 3. Need to work on 2. and 4.

4. Find ways to show him that you care about him/her.

I personally think that these four "guides" need disclaimers or boundary markers. You can definitely go too far in your efforts and essentially sabotage yourself. I'd hope that would be common sense... but that's not always the case.