? + ? = INFJ | INFJ Forum

? + ? = INFJ

Sparky

Mar 15, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
What personality combination makes an INFJ? In other words, is there a personality combination that has the highest likelihood of having an INFJ child? If so, what is it? If you are INFJ, what personality types are your parents? I've been thinking about this, but there seems to be not enough information on the topic. Thank you.

I think that you have similar topic with pool somewhere. But, my parents: mother - ISFJ (probably with high N score) and father ISTP. Brother, however, end up as ESTJ.

Wow, that's interesting. I was thinking ESTJ + ESTP, which is actually very similar to what you have. The opposite of ESTJ is INFP (type development flipped backward), while that of ESTP is INFJ. ISTP also has the core development types (introverted thinking, extraverted sensing, introverted intuition, and extraverted feeling) and with opposite being ENFJ, but the opposite of ISFJ is ENTP (according to personalitypage, ENTP is the ideal INFJ match). Thank you for sharing, and it turns out this issue is not so simple. It is, however, interesting to note the combinations are between so called Traditionalists and Experiencers.

Last edited:
That J and P in marriage dynimics can be very interesting (and funny, my parents are great people:), I am suprised that it is not much issue in mbti pairing. SOmetimes difference between J and P can be as well as frustrated as N - S difference:)

My Mother is ISTJ. My father is ESTP.

ESFJ mom
INTP dad

INFJ son
INFP daughter

got moms JF and dads IN... makes sense to me

ESFJ mom
INTP dad

INFJ son
INFP daughter

got moms JF and dads IN... makes sense to me

Interesting, actually ESFJ, ISFJ, ENTP, INTP have the same functions (extraverted feeling, introverted sensing, extraverted intuition, and introverted thinking). Could it be that you are an INFP? People misidentify INFJ and INFP sometimes.

MOM - ESFJ
DAD - ENFJ or ENTJ

What personality combination makes an INFJ? In other words, is there a personality combination that has the highest likelihood of having an INFJ child? If so, what is it? If you are INFJ, what personality types are your parents? I've been thinking about this, but there seems to be not enough information on the topic. Thank you.

For your statistics:

Both my parents are INFJ.

Finally got them to take the test!
Mother: ESFJ
Father: INTJ

I'm an only child. I had no siblings to shield me, teehee.

I'm really starting to believe that we do choose our parents before we are born, but dang, what were we thinking?:m131:

I started a very similar thread not to long ago. It was more along the lines of genetics vs. enviroment. What fashions us more into our type? Read my thoughts and those of others here:

http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=7678

Mom: INFJ
Dad: ESTJ

I started a very similar thread not to long ago. It was more along the lines of genetics vs. enviroment. What fashions us more into our type? Read my thoughts and those of others here:

http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=7678

We actually have tons of these threads floating around (even before yours, QP) but if someone wants us to, we can merge the threads - just tell us which ones.

I used to be fairly sure about my parents. Now I don't know. I'm thinking:

Mom - E/ISTP
Dad (difficult because he's not alive) - ENxx. He could be extremely judgmental, but he was also forgetful and misplaced things all the time. On the other hand, everything needed to have its proper place and be "just so" or it wasn't good enough.

Two cases of female INFJs that I know very well in life:

(more bold INFJ)
Mom: ISTP
Dad: ENTP

(more shy INFJ)
Mom: ESTJ
Dad: ENFP

I know a few more, and (let me check), it seems in each case they are the first child, usually having at least one smaller sibling of the other sex, with close age difference. No kidding, the same pattern, with a couple of years difference, happens to be seen among those INFJs I know well. One very bold and brave INFJ I know seems to be only child (i'm not sure, but i don't know of any siblings), and a few ENFJs too.

I am not sure of the accuracy of this, but it will be nice if there is a study documenting the personality combinations and their offspring's personality to see if there is a tendency for certain types to appear in certain families. Thank you for the replies; it's reassuring to know combinations between Traditionalists (SJ) and Experiences (SP) could have Idealists (NF) offspring and INFJ in particular.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter to me if they are merged Arby. Let the OP decide. As for me:

Mom: ENFJ

Dad: ISTJ