INFJ Morals...are they circumstantial or life-long? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ Morals...are they circumstantial or life-long?

My morals are life long in the sense that I always want to do the right thing. But I can only base my decision about what is right and wrong on the information I have at the time. Of course we are constantly learning new things and seeing different sides to various issues so the foundation of this decision making is in constant flux. Therefore so is my opinion on what is right and wrong.

I have had many life changing experiences and ideas that have changed how I view the world, but my core belief in doing what I belive is right has never changed.

I know from experience that many of the things I believe to be right will turn out to be wrong at some point in the future so I try not to take a hard stance on anything anymore.

I was a Jesus Freak when I was a kid. What does that tell ya?

without knowing your interpretation of jesus i would not make an assumption. i am not sure if i can see the direct relation to morals anyway.

since my django alter ego embodies a "counter law" (a cowboy lives in a land reigned by a law of cruelty, he merely has to react to it. django shoots a lot of gangsters and frees a prostitute, like i would have liked to free myself from father, and in projection my mother) i would assume that a jesus figure lives in a land that welcomes or even asks for his moral. i would assume a very encouraging mother. my mother defended my fathers evil against herself and asked me to subordinate to the same evil law, for sake of harmony. she encouraged me to proactive moral in other matters, but that message fainted behind this example. i played jesus for her, but i did not believe in it. i had to hide my true cowboy/law-enforcer identity in costumes and child play. i am still frequently hiding it.

Last edited:
I don't see how life-long morals are possible unless your circumstances never change. Life, or the day to day routines that make up life, is a circumstance, too.

I don't see how life-long morals are possible unless your circumstances never change. Life, or the day to day routines that make up life, is a circumstance, too.

True, very true. Nanook, I empathize with you, but if I'm not mistaken it seems to have made you a bit stronger, or atleast that's how I'm interpreting you on so limited info.

My morals are more or less, static. I am the only one who can change them. I will take other peoples opinions into concideration, but I have to really agree with them to change my morals.

without knowing your interpretation of jesus i would not make an assumption. i am not sure if i can see the direct relation to morals anyway.

:m075:

It was an antecedental joke that mirrored what chaotic_lion was saying. I went from being a fundamentalist Christian to one of the biggest critics of religious faith.

Lol, and your joke was much-appreciated!

I grew up in a very loose home...my parents worked all the time and played all the time...I was by myself more often then i was with them. It left alot of time to myself and of course to friends. As a child i was all about church I went to the extra catacism classes and became an "adult" member of the church before i went through puberty...learning all there was to know about my religion i began to fall away from it...it held no more magic for me. I began to get experimental and desired a more exciting life. By thirteen i was smoking drinking and by fourteen i was fornicating my morals crumbled when i no longer found truth in god and religion.

By the time I was fourteen however i never saw my parents i took care of my brother, i cooked, i cleaned and flew swiftly into adulthood before i was done being a child.

Morality...I dont kill, I dont steal, i dont covet, i dont do evil deeds...I am a good person...

Although, when I mentioned my belifes, I wasn't talking about religious ones.

It seems you blossemed into a fine butterfly entyqua.

It seems you blossemed into a fine butterfly entyqua.
Butterfly....a little to sweet and cute to describe me...Im more of one of those beautiful insects with no defensive powers other than the fact that if you eat them they will poison you....

>>So, is it just me or do INFJ start out extreme, and ease up as they mature?
>I was a Jesus Freak when I was a kid. What does that tell ya?

i see the connection, its just not transparent from where i stand. it depends on whether we should interpret your jesus freaking as "extreme" and your current being "the biggest critics of religious faith" as eased up and mature

I think it has to do with our intense desire to make sense of the world..as we are young religion is the obvious first step...As we mature we search out deeper meanings suddenly seeing religion as a fairy tale. I think we are always looking for something to believe in...when really we only need to believe in ourselves...

I'm flexibly unbending in my morals.

What I mean is the principles guiding my morals won't change, or else change very slowly (ie be kind, generous, respectful, the Golden Rule, etc). But my principles guide my decisions in context, so depending on the people involved and other factors, and may act differently (not black-and-white) and still totally follow my morals.

I think that's what most are saying here. As we grow and change, our perspectives broaden, and we consider things we wouldn't have when we were younger, we make better choices.

Last edited:
So, there is an evolution to our morals?

So, there is an evolution to our morals?

I think that's what most are saying here. As we grow and change, our perspectives broaden, and we consider things we wouldn't have when we were younger, we make better choices.

There sure has been evolution to mine! Actually, maybe not. I was hardcore fundie Christian from birth. But I'm not sure it's proper to say my morals evolved. It's more like I took the blinders and fetters off, and began discovering my own.

Hmm, I dunno now. Are your morals discovered, chosen, evolving...?

For me, its hard to explain...I can see my point of view, but I can also see another persons too even if I'm arguing with them. Its all about how you define right and wrong, compaired to how someone else sees it.

lol so was I, not so much anymore...

Wanna know something hilarious? So was I! I wanted to be a nun and I told people I was going to marry Jesus when I was little. And it was completely random too. My family are all godless heathens. Heh.