INFJ & INFP, are they compatible? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ & INFP, are they compatible?

No. INFP are great at first as friends but then they annoy me.

Exactly. I find them clingy and have a great need to want be accepted. They don't put a good challenge either as you gain their friendship. They just tend to agree with you because they like you. Well at least for an INFJ. They are also more sensitive. And its annoying because you say something funny and they get all bent out of shape because they didn't think it was funny. It's like relax damn it. But that's not all INFP's. Just my two sisters lol

Do you think an INFJ & an INFP would make a good couple? Why or why not?

INFJ and INTP are great too but the intp is just so ditsy at living life. It overwhelms me for some reason. I personally like the ENFP . They make me laugh and boost my mood but they aren't always on my wavelength, but then no one is

I think we need to ask @SpecialEdition what she thinks

HAHA.

I'm going to go with a hard NO on this one. I think that if two people are well developed and fully actualized then they can grind it out and make it work but I think that they would always be fighting their nature. Based on those I know who have been in an INFP/INFJ relationship and what I have experienced personally with INFP's I would say that initially the relationship can be really beautiful but inevitably it starts to fray. It's not because one is better than the other. I just think that it would be a lot of consistent work to satisfy each other on all levels.

In my experience, it works quite well and it's definitely been the sort of dynamic that I want in a relationship. I'm pretty sure every girl I've been close to is an INFP, and the one girlfriend I've had is one for sure...just haven't come across one who will stick around yet. The connection is comfortable, complimentary, and challenging all the same, and I gotta say that the times I've spent being close with them have been the best and most meaningful times of my life.

I recently realised that 3 of my friends are INFP. (Probably more than this). In my experience INFJ and INFP get on well although I do sometimes find the INFP exasperating. Probably the feeling is mutual!

One of my INFP friends is very dogged about things she gets into her head that she wants me to go along with. She has been quite pushy at times, actually going way over the top. I forgive her because she's a close friend, and I probably annoy her too in other ways. Another one tends to have a slightly blinkered way of perceiving things at times, which can be irritating.

Anyhow, they feel like 'my kind of people' and I have found them to be very kind and sensitive and I feel that essentially we 'get' each other effortlessly, and get along brilliantly.

*Initiates broken record sequence*

Any two types can work. Certain types may be more drawn to or technically more "compatible" with each other, but like others in this thread have said it depends on the individuals. I think your belief systems and priorities play a bigger role than your mbti letters. Anyway, what other people are telling you is not invalid so you should take their thoughts into account. However, you shouldn't make a big relationship decision solely based on other people's experiences or general thoughts on the matter. There is a great amount of diversity within each mbti type.

I am a male INFJ and I have had a female INFP gf for three years; we garden; watch sport; watch movies; cook; party; talk, think; vacation and discuss psychology and philosophy or whatever. We get on really well. She is more perceptive and I am better at making a call. We both like time to ourselves.
t

I am not so good at deciphering english times..."have had", does this mean you are still in a relationship with your girlfriend? As you use present tense in the next part of the sentence, I guess it means that you are still in a relationship with her :)

Reactions: Free and Gaze

Absolutely. Just as an example, my dearest friend is an ESFP, and we get on like a house on fire. I find MBTI is woefully inadequate for determining compatibility. Me and my ESFP friend are worlds apart according to type theory, yet there is a sameness somewhere deep inside us that makes blending easy.

I find this description to be pretty accurate http://personalityjunkie.com/02/infj-infp-relationships-compatibility/

On a personal note, I am quite attracted to NF females and tried to date several INFPs. In both cases we would get along great as friends, but there was no interest for intimate relationship from their side.
Thus by applying Laplace's statistical rule, I would conclude 75% probability of our types being incompatible :)

Last edited:
My oldest true friend (who I'm kinda drifting apart from) is an INFP. But sadly he had a really odd upbringing which has heavily influenced his maturation level. Even at the age of twenty-something his subscribed family dynamics (among other things) just irritate me beyond all ends. There's no way this is a clear representation of all INFJ-INFP relationships, but I thought it was interesting. That it took almost 20 years of friendship for me to admit that I don't like certain things about him, and that I want to keep him at arms length.

#sorrybro

Reactions: Ren and Free
My experience is all my closest relationships have been with NTs. I kinda feel like an NT expert! LOL

NFs I have some exp but its limited. I will say that I have one INFP friend and he and I get along well, hes pretty chill to be along. the only down side I could see in this type of dynamic is the Fi. Function. I

I kinda go with the idea that I don't really mesh well with Fi wielders. which is why I prefer ENTPs too INTjs.....even and INTP as emotional retarded as they are I can mesh well with.
I have no experience with ENTJs.

Thus an INFP is a heavy Fi user and I have seen that play out in my dynamic with my friend. its subtle but its there. I would not say its a total deal breaker I think this could a positive pairing. I would its best INFJ male and INFP female. if its flipped I would think its not as functional.
this is because i think Male J types and female P types make for the best pairs.

Reactions: Free
Yes.

Any type can date one another so long as the right amount of effort and willingness to communicate is given.

It's not MBTI that matters but individual personalities and now they work together.

Agree with @wolly.green .

I find I am usually drawn to SJ and NTs. I really appreciate our differences and delight in our similarities. We may care about many of the same things, but just have very different approaches. Which is always interesting.

(Also, I was just kidding about not liking INFPs/INFJs. I like just about everyone.)

Last edited:
Yes.

Any type can date one another so long as the right amount of effort and willingness to communicate is given.

It's not MBTI that matters but individual personalities and now they work together.

Exactly. I think the key is appreciation and consideration of each other's preferences and differences.

I love INFPs! I have a few INFP friends. Sadly, nothing more than that. So I don't think INFP/INFJ are compatible as far as sparks flying.
But I'm not a good example for INFJ either because I tend to swing to INFP myself sometimes. Plus, social issues.

I am very much attracted to NF females so if I found an INFP I like, I'd still give it a try.

I'm an infp female and my boyfriend is an infj. We were friends, then coworkers for years before we ever dated. Now we've been together for 2 years and it has been the most amazing, deep, connected and beautiful relationship I've ever been in. We are so in tune with each other and any misunderstandings or problems are dealt quickly and with empathy on both sides. We love exploring, playing music together, working out, etc. I know two married couples that have it flipped-- infp husband with infj wife and all around they seem very happy & connected. I personally think this is a great combo

Reactions: Free and Wyote