INFJ Body Language | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ Body Language

I'm one lazy mofo. I do whatever is comfortable, and I don't really pay attention to what I'm doing. I spread out, or curl up, cross my arms or stretch. If I'm comfortable with someone, I'll lean up against them. If I got something in my pockets, I'll take it out and fiddle with it. Most of the time, though, I'll be looking right at you or whoever is talking, no matter how I position my body.

I do know that I have a "power walk," though. If I'm up, I'm moving quickly--like I can't wait to get everything done just to sit down again.

So much for universal INFJ body language.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that! :D I also tend to walk fast or with a mission, and I definitely fiddle and fidget.

Although I don't tend to look at what I'm focusing on -- especially if I'm thinking. I usually look at something I don't have to concentrate on so I can move into my introverted zone.

I notice that mine is kind of awkward when I meet new people. I also don't like being touched, thus I hate huge lines. I also appear very withdrawn and my brother says that I always have a concerned look on my face (which, in my opinion, is good). I'm usually in a slouching opinion, but when I'm with my extended family I tend to stand up straight and present myself well.

Last edited:
We physically represent our minds by pulling everything closer to us. Close everyone out.

When I am in a crowd, i hunch, pull, and cradle myself as to avoid any physical contact, when sitting my knees are close to me, my arm are across my chest trying to contain everything in my from possibly touching another being.

With people I know, in a group, I am very affectionate, I love to touch and to be touched.

I've noticed then when I'm in public place and I don't know people I tend to keep my limbs close and I often cross my arms over my chest. I also know I look more hostile then I am. I think this ties into not wanting to be touched or messed with. Even though I'm good sized guy I still don't feel comfortable in big crowds so I think this where it comes from.

And in a group I know I'm more relaxed and open and I tend to be a lot looser I don't feel as rigid. And I don't mind being touched and i often touch people I like / love / know well.

I never realized how hostile and angry I must look. :m054:

I also when bored or never like pull and pick and things like I'm always doing something with my hands.

Depends on the situation for me.

Walking I tend to hold myself tall, straight, and walk with purpose. People say I have a very definite stride, as though I know exactly where I am going and know the way to get there well.

Standing Generally in a que or waiting for a bus/train I appear very reserved. I generally try not to draw attention to myself, I will often find something to lean against and then disappear into my own thoughts.

Standing Socially I tend to stand upright and strong. Although I stand slightly away from the group only engaging occasionally. Although I am uncomfortable in large social situations (parties, clubs) I don't use my group as cover.

Sitting Socially I aim for a chair on the edge of the group, I sit relaxed using the whole seat and resting against the backrest. Although I don't enter alot of conversation, I listen intently to as much as I can that is being said. I prefer to have something in my hands as I am always more comfortable standing in a social situation.

Facial Expressions Socially I can appear very nonchallant about new information. Gossip irritates me beyond description. I loath ignorance and I can seem very scorning or intolerant of that. I frown and show deliberate discontent when a person is lying and it is obvious, I interperate that behaviour as a negetive slant on my intelligence. I hate being humiliated or embarrassed or failing personally in public.

I've found my walking has become less rigid as I grew older I walk a lot more relaxed now but I still sometimes fall into that very hard very purposeful walk

I've also noticed when I smile and I'm not laughing its very subtle its not like huge OMG its more contented and retrained.

I'm one lazy mofo. I do whatever is comfortable, and I don't really pay attention to what I'm doing. I spread out, or curl up, cross my arms or stretch. If I'm comfortable with someone, I'll lean up against them. If I got something in my pockets, I'll take it out and fiddle with it. Most of the time, though, I'll be looking right at you or whoever is talking, no matter how I position my body.

I do know that I have a "power walk," though. If I'm up, I'm moving quickly--like I can't wait to get everything done just to sit down again.

So much for universal INFJ body language.

Wow I do a lot of the things you mentioned.

I do have trouble eye contact due to poor vision.

I think people get bothered the most buy my fiddling and lack sf smiling.

I notice that mine is kind of awkward.

I think we are all a little awkward and not normal.

I don't know how many times I've been told to smile.

I hated picture day...

I don't know about other INFJs than the ones I've just read but here is a summary of my body language:
-Well I curl up a lot too when sitting in a chair though Have tried not to so I put my on leg on top of the other sorta in a half sitting postition and sometimes put my left hand on my right elbow which supports my chin
-when nervous I put my hands in my pockets keep my head down and look up or more commenly run my hands through my hair repetedly through my hair repetedly
-I mirror people a lot!
-I can not smile for longer then 2seconds so my facial expressions change very rapidly
-People always say I look sad normally when I am not (then they see me when I am really upset and say you look like your pet just died)

Last edited:
For me it depends on the situation I'm in... At work I usually have an indifferent attitude and it can often be a subtle problem I think. I would rather work alone so I choose to take more shifts in home care nursing than I do at the facility. I think that I am there to get my job done, but I am there to be kind in a quiet but standoffish way. It's weird because I work with old people and even if they die on my shift, I don't ever cry. People always ask me if I have a hard time with getting attached to my residents and patients but I honestly do not. People also often say that they would never be able to do my job and they look at me funny like I'm a zombie or something because I show no emotion towards my job type.

When I walk, I think I walk rather lightly yet with purpose. I usually feel oddly defensive and I almost wish someone would try and mes with me as I gues I sometimes get pent up frustrations during the week... I know I drive like an ass hole sometimes, lol.

My facial expression is said to be usually sad and deep and thoughtful. I also get told I look really young for my age, like ten yrs younger than I am, but that I have the look in my eyes that seems to be ageles and I tend to have the same far away look in my gaze that I see other INFJ's state. I have been told that I also have an extremely old soul. I bet other INFJ's have been told the same thing before too.

Around my friends (my family), I am very social, loving and demonstrative and extremely funny. Ones who only know me a little would have a hard time believing that it was really me.

^ It's usually like that with I personality types, once you get to the them, they become extraverts with people who are close to them.

I talk a lot with my hands and act things out as I describe them, I sit with one leg curled under me most of the time, and I cross my arms when I'm not comfortable in a conversation. I make lots of direct eye contact when talking about something that really interests me. I make a lot of quiet, subdued "pity laughs" but when I'm truly amused at something my laugh is frighteningly loud and unrestrained.

I found an interesting article about INFJ body languages that I agree for the most part personally.

Here's the link original and to the rest of the personalities:
http://www.socionics.com/prof/prof.htm

"INFjs have a very characteristic dispassionate facial expression. This is often reminiscent of the depiction of saints and martyrs from early Christian icons. Their faces convey the feeling that their soul is suffering even when it is not. INFjs faces are often perfect ovals but can be rectangular in shape as well. Their noses are usually straight and slightly elongated, but not prominent.

INFjs do not show intense positive emotions, instead they simply smile. All their facial expressions openly reproach nefarious happenings. The same can be noticed in their intonation. In many cases INFjs have a slim, ascetic figure. Their movements are often quite harsh although not lacking mobility. INFjs with more fuller figures are less mobile and active. When walking, INFjs may keep their feet close and parallel to the ground, maintaining a short distance between each step.

INFjs are generally very modest, which is also noticeable in their choice of clothes. However from time to time they may wear something very flashy according to the latest fashion especially is noticeable in males. INFjs prefer to observe people for sometime before making contact in order to identify social hierarchy in a group. Normally INFjs do not show initiative when making contact for the first time...."(socionics)

We physically represent our minds by pulling everything closer to us. Close everyone out.

When I am in a crowd, i hunch, pull, and cradle myself as to avoid any physical contact, when sitting my knees are close to me, my arm are across my chest trying to contain everything in my from possibly touching another being.

With people I know, in a group, I am very affectionate, I love to touch and to be touched.

Me too! I am like that with others vs. with people I know

I usually pull things in to myself.
Also- when I am in class I almost always have my stuff on my lap. I've always kept my backpack or bag on my lap. I have to consciously stop myself. I think it's like a defense thing. Or hiding or something. hm.

But I frequently love on my friends. And sometimes hump them. ;P heh heh

When it comes to facial expressions though- I apparently always look like a MEGA ANGRY BITCH when I am just thinking. Oopsy.

some people have told me that i 'eat' people with my eyes...and i yeah i do but only if you spark my interest. otherwise, i just look glazed

We have expressive eyebrows.
Or at least amongst the INFJs I know in real life.

I also don't know what to do with my arms when I'm standing and talking to people. I usually end up crossing them over my front for some reason.

Last edited:
We have expressive eyebrows.
Or at least amongst the INFJs I know in real life.

I also don't know what to do with my arms when I'm standing and talking to people. I usually end up crossing them over my front for some reason.

Yup, I do the exact same thing. It is a protection mechanism for myself so I feel confortable.

yeah i always like to wear a big side bag, keys on a wrist chain, and jeans or pocketed pants because i have these odd odd moments where i don't know what to do with my arms even when i'm walking...errerrm..

I am a curler-upper too.
When I started working at a rather busy, large facility an older woman became friendly with me, was interested in me and watched me quite a bit. One day she told me I needed to work on my body language. I was wide eyed with interest as she told me "You're a sitting duck!" gulp
She gave me lots of tips and tricks about body language and because of her I remained strong and didn't burn out for a long, long time. The literature says INFJ's aren't always aware of how they appear to others and I think this is true.

Whether it be regarding facial expressions, movement, how we carry ourselves, our spatial awareness of our surroundings or other people, how we assert ourselves or withdraw, etc.

I realize we are not a homogenous group, but your thoughts on perhaps what you've generally observed in yourself or other INFJs you know.

I find INFJs have bad posture. We slump. At least I do. I can never remember to stand up straight.

Whether it be regarding facial expressions, movement, how we carry ourselves, our spatial awareness of our surroundings or other people, how we assert ourselves or withdraw, etc.

I realize we are not a homogenous group, but your thoughts on perhaps what you've generally observed in yourself or other INFJs you know.

When I was a younger INFJ, I was VERY accident-prone. Broke legs, arms, tore ligaments. And this all was just walking down the street...not skiing or anything. I frequently was guided by a daydream or a fantasy that completely pulled me out of the real world.

Well, after having far too many recoveries, I look where I'm going. So I've become very conscious of my spatial environment.

Even though I have a driver's license, I still don't drive for fear of mowing someone down (for the same reason).

I am clumsy and uncomfortable in a crowd of people, especially if I do not know them. I feel and probably look like a baby taking its first steps . . . very awkward! I either don't make eye contact, or I try to and wind up staring . . . and I stutter. The most awkward person in the room on any given day may well be an uncomfortable INFJ trying too hard to be an extrovert/fit in.

I also walk fast. Short quick strides. Faster than most tall people (yes, I'm short. so sue me)! On an average day, hangin with my buds, I find myself talking to myself . . . 15 feet ahead of everyone. like it's some kind of competition who gets to walmart first!

When I'm not thinking of anything in particular, I get a lot of "oh, honey, are you alright?". When I'm focused on something, or concentrating really hard, I get "you look like you need to let off a little steam".

I like trendy clothes, but don't usually wear them because people notice me. And yes, I hate to drive! I daydream more than I should, and I drive like "an old lady". My driving terrifies me! Except when I'm in a sportscar . . . then I'm obscenely aware!

I'm obsessed with symmetry and color coordinate my closet . . . and other unmentionables ;-). If my socks have any holes, they get trashed.

INFJ: The shy, clumsy, overly emotional, defeated perfectionist.

When I was a younger INFJ, I was VERY accident-prone. Broke legs, arms, tore ligaments. And this all was just walking down the street...not skiing or anything. I frequently was guided by a daydream or a fantasy that completely pulled me out of the real world.

Well, after having far too many recoveries, I look where I'm going. So I've become very conscious of my spatial environment.

Even though I have a driver's license, I still don't drive for fear of mowing someone down (for the same reason).

this happens to me occasionally when i'm walking regardless, usually along a street or inside a busy mall. it's not so much being guided by daydream or fantasy, but being guided by a feeling almost like inertia. yeah i'm strange.

Well, for one, I'm not the same person around different people. I adjust to my company and mirror their behaviour, body-language etc to create a more and more comfortable atmosphere for the other person to be in. It also goes with my tone of voice, how animated I am, my whole presence really.

Last edited:
All I know is I'm always indredibly rigid in any social situation and have plenty of trouble with eye contact of any sort. Definitely some insecurity issues there.