I'm starting to think I might be an ENFJ | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

I'm starting to think I might be an ENFJ

One thing I've been thinking about is which functions will blend with which to show as a different function. For instance, would Ne be a product of Ni + Fe, or Ni + Se? It seems to me that it would make more sense for the judging and perceiving functions to blend homogeneously.

I believe the blending of functions is the root of shadow functions. The reason they are 'slower' and less reliable is because they are in fact the product of two functions having to cooperate.

Almost exclusively, I've seen J functions shadow at midpoint between them, and P functions shadow at a midpoint between them. I don't think that J and P functions cooperate to create a shadow function, but I could be wrong.

For example, my Fi and Te have both developed to very near a midpoint of my Fe and Ti. My Fi is stronger than and was developed before my Te, which is in accordance with the INFJ function order - Ni, Fe, Ti, Se > Ne, Fi, Te, Si. I am assuming this is because I'm a dominant I and a secondary F that when all of my shadow functions are developed, they'll look a lot like my standard functions with respect to their weight.

My Ne seems to have found a midpoint of my Ni and Se, leaning slightly toward Ni. This would make sense according to the hybrid model of shadow functions, since Ne is the first shadow function for an INFJ. My Si is slowly catching up, and I assume it will be my last function to develop since it is last in the INFJ hierarchy.

I believe that my natural function order is Fe>Ni>Se>Ti with very big Ni. The reason why I believed in my INFJness is that when I was 12 my self esteem crushed because of various reasons and I became very withdrawn. I guess my introverted functions got more progress than my extroverted ones and I swap to INFJ mode.

I've changed pretty much in last two years, I've gained some self-confidence and can see that Fe has took the leading role and that Ni is working to assist and to direct the decisions.

I've been dating my ENFP for four months, she has really pulled me out of my shell. I started Hap Kido (Korean martial art). Went to work (Telemarketing) and my Se has grown remarkably. I usually get energy from people, but in groups of unfamiliar people my Se get sometimes overwhelmed

I must say i'm not as extroverted as ENFJ's I know, but i'm also not as introverted as my INFJ friend. If I'm around people but not interacting with them I get drained, but when I interact with people and they respect my input it's energizing.

Your Type is
INFJ
I 11%
N 75%
F 50%
J 11%

Your Type is
ENFJ
Strength of the preferences %
E 11%
N 75%
F 88%
J 11%

Your Type is
ENFJ
E 44%
N 50%
F 88%
J 1%

Last edited:
I believe that my natural function order is Fe>Ni>Se>Ti with very big Ni. The reason why I believed in my INFJness is that when I was 12 my self esteem crushed because of various reasons and I became very withdrawn. I guess my introverted functions got more progress than my extroverted ones and I swap to INFJ mode.

I've changed pretty much in last two years, I've gained some self-confidence and can see that Fe has took the leading role and that Ni is working to assist and to direct the decisions.

I've been dating my ENFP for four months, she has really pulled me out of my shell. I started Hap Kido (Korean martial art). Went to work (Telemarketing) and my Se has grown remarkably. I usually get energy from people, but in groups of unfamiliar people my Se get sometimes overwhelmed

I must say i'm not as extroverted as ENFJ's I know, but i'm also not as introverted as my INFJ friend. If I'm around people but not interacting with them I get drained, but when I interact with people and they respect my input it's energizing.

Your Type is
INFJ
I 11%
N 75%
F 50%
J 11%

Your Type is
ENFJ
Strength of the preferences %
E 11%
N 75%
F 88%
J 11%

Your Type is
ENFJ
E 44%
N 50%
F 88%
J 1%

I think you're an INFJ, and your ENFP friend is simply bringing out your E functions. Your thought processes seem much more clearly INFJ ordered. You have a need to understand how things work (Ti), which most ENFJs don't really care about. You seem concerned with the big picture more than how you feel things should be (Ni > Fe). You also type too well to be an ENFJ, honestly.

Also, that's not your Se that is getting overwhelmed. It is your Ni and Fe. When around a bunch of strangers, your Ni is constantly trying to assess and form answers about them because your Fe is focused on how you feel about others. Se doesn't get overwhelmed by crowds or strangers. It thrives on them.

Lastly, every INFJ experiences the drained by others who don't listen and energized by those that do. I call it the "I'm an introvert until I start talking about something that I like" syndrome. It's hard to get us to shut up once we do. I've heard it referred to as a train that just sits quietly, but once it gets going you can't stop it or turn it until it's done. That's our Fe wanting to educate others about the cool things we have found that we think might be able to help them somehow.

Lastly, every INFJ experiences the drained by others who don't listen and energized by those that do. I call it the "I'm an introvert until I start talking about something that I like" syndrome. It's hard to get us to shut up once we do. I've heard it referred to as a train that just sits quietly, but once it gets going you can't stop it or turn it until it's done. That's our Fe wanting to educate others about the cool things we have found that we think might be able to help them somehow.

I know exactly what you mean! I've had two, 2 hour phone calls with people recently and they were awesome because they were listening and I wouldn't shut up! I felt energised after them. I'm explaining this MBTI business to my ESFJ friend, I'm not sure if he's being polite when he says it's interesting or whether he wants me to shut up.

LOL!

That's so me. Worse, sometimes I can tell when I'm in runaway train mode and I suddenly feel like I'm talking too much. Even if I want to say more.

Then I feel embarrassed for talking too much. :p

LOL!

That's so me. Worse, sometimes I can tell when I'm in runaway train mode and I suddenly feel like I'm talking too much. Even if I want to say more.

Then I feel embarrassed for talking too much. :p

:m146:

I call that the moment of derail.

I want to press both hands over my mouth and run out of the room with wide eyes of panic.

The worst part isn't that I talked to much, but that I talked too much about something that not only no one wanted to hear about, but something that makes me look absolutely weird... like my wacky theories on psychology, the paranormal, or worse... science fiction.

I'm pretty sure it is because of moments like those, that these posters are funny.

View attachment 1373

View attachment 1374

View attachment 1375

Aren't you glad we have a place where we don't have to be so self conscious about starting up our train and running it as far as we want?

:mlove2:

I'm always worried that I talk too much. Luckily, a lot of my friends are perfectly comfortable with telling me to shut up :D

That talking too much thing only happens when someone asks me a question I don't feel like answering but feel I must. I have a tendency to over-explain things something. The most embarrassing time was in some Cultural Geography Class in college. I was doing a presentation about globalization. I ended up getting really really really passionate about it and went on this awesome rant and then I dropped an F bomb in frustration and everyone gasped and then laughed. I was so embarrassed i nearly dropped the class.
Actually I guess I ramble when I get really passionate about things. My whole voice changes.. it gets all jagged and low like I'm growling. I think that's why I always try to keep things light.. I feel consumed and vulnerable when I'm passionate. Meh.

I think you're an INFJ, and your ENFP friend is simply bringing out your E functions. Your thought processes seem much more clearly INFJ ordered. You have a need to understand how things work (Ti), which most ENFJs don't really care about. You seem concerned with the big picture more than how you feel things should be (Ni > Fe). You also type too well to be an ENFJ, honestly.

Also, that's not your Se that is getting overwhelmed. It is your Ni and Fe. When around a bunch of strangers, your Ni is constantly trying to assess and form answers about them because your Fe is focused on how you feel about others. Se doesn't get overwhelmed by crowds or strangers. It thrives on them.

You made me second guess my conclusion. I have always been
borderline E/I and I think I've developed my internal and external preferences
to the point where those are almost equal. When I have situation where I need
to be extrovert I consentrate to think that I lead with Fe and support it with Ni
I can see how I change my function order to Fe>Ni>Se>Ti and I thrive on social
situations. After I have no use to my extroverted self I slip back to my
sweet Ni>Fe>Ti>Se.

I have my extro/introversion on phases which last from minutes to days. I can be couple
days extroverted and gracious, talking to strangers on very random subjects. And then
after that have very withdrawn day and keeping my unnecessary interaction on minimum.
I cant spent on either form too much time. After day of deep introversion I start to
feel foggy and psychedelic, when I get back to world again I feel I can breath.
When I spent too much time being social I start to need my alone time and to analyze
things on my own peaceful place.

I need to stimulate all of my functions
Ni - I thrive when I can ponder deeply on some really scifi stuff, need to have meaning,
use my imagination
Fe - I need to laugh, feel unity, merge with people, express my feelings,
love and receive love
Ti - I want to make theory about everything, analyze objectively, know how things work,
put everything/everyone into boxes
Se - I need to be part of what is going on around me, feel exitement of the moment,
express things my Ni come up with, draw, play guitar, do sports etc.

I fit very well in both descriptions and can do just about everything my
ENFJ friends can. I'm bit of both, but not either one. I'm comfortable with it.

Reactions: Satya
You made me second guess my conclusion. I have always been
borderline E/I and I think I've developed my internal and external preferences
to the point where those are almost equal. When I have situation where I need
to be extrovert I consentrate to think that I lead with Fe and support it with Ni
I can see how I change my function order to Fe>Ni>Se>Ti and I thrive on social
situations. After I have no use to my extroverted self I slip back to my
sweet Ni>Fe>Ti>Se.

I have my extro/introversion on phases which last from minutes to days. I can be couple
days extroverted and gracious, talking to strangers on very random subjects. And then
after that have very withdrawn day and keeping my unnecessary interaction on minimum.
I cant spent on either form too much time. After day of deep introversion I start to
feel foggy and psychedelic, when I get back to world again I feel I can breath.
When I spent too much time being social I start to need my alone time and to analyze
things on my own peaceful place.

More power to the ANFJ!
Ambiverted iNtuitive Feeling Judger!

The more I analyze the dual hemisphered nature of Ni and Fe, the more I see how common ambiversion is with them as dominant and secondary.

However, one of these two configurations is your inherent state. The trick is to figure out which it is. For me, I'm leaning toward INFJ, but I'm still not 100% convinced.

I need to stimulate all of my functions
Ni - I thrive when I can ponder deeply on some really scifi stuff, need to have meaning,
use my imagination
Fe - I need to laugh, feel unity, merge with people, express my feelings,
love and receive love
Ti - I want to make theory about everything, analyze objectively, know how things work,
put everything/everyone into boxes
Se - I need to be part of what is going on around me, feel exitement of the moment,
express things my Ni come up with, draw, play guitar, do sports etc.

I fit very well in both descriptions and can do just about everything my
ENFJ friends can. I'm bit of both, but not either one. I'm comfortable with it.

This describes me very well also. I couldn't have said it better, but I'll add my own two bits...

Ni - My intuition guides me, and leads me to insights I cannot explain.
Fe - I need to connect with others and make the world a better place for everyone.
Ti - I need to tinker with theories and systems to better understand the world that I want to make better place.
Se - I need to compete, dominate, and assert my will, prove my value, so that I know I can protect others, as well as manifest my creativity and artistic talents. I need to be in the moment and see the beauty in the world around me.

The real question is... in what order do we reflexively use them... which has precedence over the others?
In my case, the answer is so situational that I have no clue really. The best answer I have is that when I first wake up, I seem to only be able to run on Ni. Fe comes later once I've woken up a bit. That's honestly why I am assuming I'm an INFJ inherently, despite my clear hybrid status. However, it could just be that I'm just a hypoglycemic ENFJ, and that my Fe doesn't kick in as quickly because the F functions require the most energy to operate. On rare days when I wake up feeling rested, I am ENFJ when my eyes open.

Last edited:
Yeeap, I can identify with all of those especially the ones you made for Se.
It's really difficult to say which is my inherent state, so it's ANFJ until I get my clarification :)
another thing that's been bothering me is my low J, I know my functions are
NiFeTiSe/FeNiSeTi but I still often score ENFP on those tests.
It's my messy intuition I guess.

I listed some things to compare.

ENFJ
+ craving for interaction
+ need to assert my self, prove my value, dominate, be admired
+ need to participate in events where people are involved
+ high energy, though it's very situational
+ I'm generally energized when interacting, also very situational
+ thirst for adventure!

INFJ
+ need for depth rather than broadness
+ need to withdraw at times and to let my Ni process everything
+ need to feed my Ti and collect impersonal information about various subjects
+ I see how false the society is and I loathe all the superfical and materialistic things human has absorbed.. back to nature! :D
+ attraction towards everything mystical, forbidden, and exotic
+ intensity on interaction

I think it's important for J's is to develop their extraverted perceiving function.
To express Ni we need our Se. It's very impressive sight when Ni is succesfully verbalized
trough sharp and detail oriented Se, creating holistic but structured and clear whole.
I don't know where I'm getting with this all, I'm just letting my intuition run free and ramble... it's liberating.

Last edited:
I think it's important for J's is to develop their extraverted perceiving function.
To express Ni we need our Se. It's very impressive sight when Ni is succesfully verbalized
trough sharp and detail oriented Se, creating holistic but structured and clear whole.
I don't know where I'm getting with this all, I'm just letting my intuition run free and ramble... it's liberating.

I would agree with that, a lot. I think I really learned how to verbalize, explain, and make concrete my thought processes after I started hanging out with my ESTP friend and developing my Se. It really is quite a useful function :D

... but I still often score ENFP on those tests.
It's my messy intuition I guess.

Okay, this one I can answer, because I used to have the same issue. My first MBTI typed me as an ENFP. It still happens now and again, because my J and P scores are generally quite balanced. Also, it proves you're an INFJ...

The MBTI assumes that your extroverted function, whether primary or secondary, is the indicator of the J and P axis. In our case, Fe is our extroverted function, which is a Judging function, and therefore we're considered J types.

However, our dominant function is Ni, which is a P function. Because of this, INFJs tend to lean more toward P than their Fe would indicate. It's also true of other introverts, and is a leading cause in mistyping with respect to the J and P axis.

This is proof that you're an INFJ, inherently.

I listed some things to compare.

ENFJ
+ craving for interaction
+ need to assert my self, prove my value, dominate, be admired
+ need to participate in events where people are involved
+ high energy, though it's very situational
+ I'm generally energized when interacting, also very situational
+ thirst for adventure!

INFJ
+ need for depth rather than broadness
+ need to withdraw at times and to let my Ni process everything
+ need to feed my Ti and collect impersonal information about various subjects
+ I see how false the society is and I loathe all the superfical and materialistic things human has absorbed.. back to nature! :D
+ attraction towards everything mystical, forbidden, and exotic
+ intensity on interaction

Yup, you're an INFJ with a strong Fe. While you have very balanced capacity with your functions, your inherent order is clearly Ni>Fe>Ti>Se because these things I've highlighted in bold are clear signs of Ni dominance. Fe dominance would be ....
+ no need to withdraw at times and to let my Fe process everything, because it already knows how everything is supposed to be or decides upon contact with new situations.

I'm just telling you how it is, so you can be liberated.

I am honestly beginning to think that our Ti and especially our Se urge is simply societal expectations for male behavior and mentality. Would you honestly focus so much on your Se aspects if you knew that the safety of yourself or those you care about would ever be threatened? I know I wouldn't. Se would easily be the first of the four I'd let go if I ever thought I could afford to. I'd turn Se into nothing but a hobby, which it probably already is. I'm just placing more importance on it.

Ironically, explaining what I'm seeing here is proving to me that I'm an INFJ for the exact same reasons.

Thank you!

I had a rare opportunity tonight. I got to spend time with an INFJ and ENFJ couple, along with my INTJ best friend.

Once I realized what was going on, we had the couple take the cognitive function test, and there was no doubt as to their types. From there, my INTJ friend then began to compare me to both of them. Her answer was typically logically relative, insightful, and spot on.

My INTJ Friend (paraphrased to protect names) said:
You can act like the ENFJ, but you don't have all of her traits.

You do have all of the traits of the INFJ.

The difference is that he doesn't have all of your traits.

I'm pretty sure that's where you're making your mistake. You're measuring yourself against other INFJs and ENFJs who haven't developed your array of traits, but you're failing to see that the only type you have all of the traits of is INFJ.

You're an introvert. The ENFJ would never spend as much time as you have, lost in your head, trying to figure this out.

So, there you have it. I'm an INFJ.

...and it took an INTJ to point out the gaping hole in my logic.

Sometimes, you gotta love the Ni and Te combo. That seriously covers our blind spot.

Last edited:
I had a rare opportunity tonight. I got to spend time with an INFJ and ENFJ couple, along with my INTJ best friend.

Once I realized what was going on, we had the couple take the cognitive function test, and there was no doubt as to their types. From there, my INTJ friend then began to compare me to both of them. Her answer was typically logically relative, insightful, and spot on.

So, there you have it. I'm an INFJ.

...and it took an INTJ to point out the gaping hole in my logic.

Sometimes, you gotta love the Ni and Te combo. That seriously covers our blind spot.

I wish I had an INTJ friend it might prove rather interesting.

Also I just wanna say thanks Von for all your work.

I've now come to understand that I'm an INFJ and a lot of it has come from your awesome explanations and work.

I've also come to realize that I have an evaluated Fe but I'm still an introvert.

And I finally understand Ni. I thought I wasn't an N for so long because I never felt very N'ish but now I actually understand the thought process a lot better.

This could also be a result of wearing a Sensor mask for so long. Or being in shadow for very long periods of time.

Last edited:
I wish I had an INTJ friend it might prove rather interesting.

Also I just wanna say thanks Von for all your work.

I've now come to understand that I'm an INFJ and a lot of it has come from your awesome explanations and work.

I've also come to realize that I have an evaluated Fe but I'm still an introvert.

And I finally understand Ni. I thought I wasn't an N for so long because I never felt very N'ish but now I actually understand the through process a lot better.

This could also be a result of wearing a Senor mask for so long. Or being in shadow for very long periods of time.

You're very welcome! Glad I could help!

I would highly suggest tracking down an INTJ and making friends. They seem a lot like us, but clinical and logical rather than warm and empathic. They have the same creepy intensity, but with a cold alien vibe by our Fe reckoning.

The most important thing to remember about Ni is that it is the most subconscious of all the functions.

Yes, ponder that for a moment. The most subconscious function is our dominant function. This is why we seem so weird, but it's also why we're able to do the amazing things that we do, because psychic phenomenon is a subconscious function, as evidenced by elevated capacity while dreaming, or half asleep. What most people only get to use in those states is actually our lead function. This is also why we act like such zombies when we first wake up. We have to wake up more before we actually have a 'conscious' function to go on.

All that said, Ni is also the least verbal function. It makes perfect sense how a lot of us never bothered to consider ourselves 'intuitive', because to us intuition IS sensing. We can't imagine perception without it. It is inherent to our nature and our reality, and because it is so non-verbal, we can't begin to use it to describe itself.

Last edited:
Ni, without support of judging functions and sensing functions, is extremely odd. A couple of days ago, I felt very much as you would if all your other functions were shut off and there was mostly just Ni. It's like floating somewhere between reality and the surreal; a total disconnection of the mind, as if you were looking on the world as if you weren't there. Like an urge to sleep even when you aren't tired. Thought embodied.

Very strange indeed. But I think we're lucky to have such a good handle on it.

However, our dominant function is Ni, which is a P function. Because of this, INFJs tend to lean more toward P than their Fe would indicate. It's also true of other introverts, and is a leading cause in mistyping with respect to the J and P axis.

This is proof that you're an INFJ, inherently.

I really appreciate your insights von hase!
I can see this P/J confusion also in other IxxJ's, we are Perceivers,
but we filter everything trough our subconsciousness (Ni) and get our heads filled with
hidden meanigs, motivations and abstract patterns which other types will never see.
You said it's not my Se getting overwhelmed, it's my Ni. It helped me to understand,
that my intuition begins to build these patterns for everone/everything i'm interacting with.
It wants to go deeper and squeeze out the genuine reasons and motivations,
and it all happens without our conscious awareness.

I'm highly ambiverted, but still clearly lean more towards Ni than Fe, I'm INFJ
with balanced functions. I really need my extrovert time to maintain sanity.
I noticed that my intuition is getting constantly more accurate.
Probably maturing and developing of Ni continues trough life.

Ironically, explaining what I'm seeing here is proving to me that I'm an INFJ for the exact same reasons.

Thank you!

teaching is the best way to learn :)

Last edited:
I noticed that my intuition is getting constantly more accurate.
Probably maturing and developing of Ni continues trough life.

The reason for this proves the principle behind the N functions. They are a process of pattern recognition. The more you understand, the more you'll be able to predict and recognize the pattern.

In my experience, I always saw patterns, it just took me a while to develop a conscious understanding of what I was seeing. I would notice something, and it would stand out very clearly to me, but I didn't know what I was seeing until the pattern was proven to me. For example, I have always had ridiculously keen gaydar, but it wasn't until someone explained to me that the thing all of the people who had that same quality I was picking up on were gay that I was able to identify what I was seeing in them.

My other INTJ brought up an interesting point tonight.

"There might be more than the theory currently contains."

This was in reference to my revelation that I'm actually an INFJ, and not an ENFJ, despite how much I can seem like both. He suggested that there might be the possibility of Ambiverted people who don't have a dominant or secondary preference, just like handedness. While I've heard, and even proposed, variations on this theory more than a few times. He came up with an interesting proof as we talked.

"If the tertiary and inferior functions also have no preference, then it is very possible that someone is an ambivert. The lesser pattern aligns with the greater pattern."

The following are my average scores from the results of the cognitive function tests. I've been taking this test once every few weeks and recording the results for almost a year now, and averaged them as follows.

(Ni) ***************************************** (40.1)
(Fe) **************************************** (38.9)

(Ti) ******************************** (31.2)
(Se)******************************** (30.4)
(Fi) ****************************** (28.4)
(Ne) ***************************** (27.8)
(Te) ********************* (20.2)
(Si) ********************* (19.4)

What popped out to me, very clearly was not just that my dominant/secondary and tertiary/inferior scores were statistically equivalent, but also that my shadow functions mirrored the same effect. That's very interesting. This is going to warrant further contemplation, but at current, I've got two options I'm exploring.

1. Jung was a genius and got all of this right on his first try, and the effect exists because I've developed my dominant and secondary functions to an equivalent degree, and the rest have fallen into place according to the theory by developing into more balanced functions as I mature. However, this leaves a gaping hole: I've pretty much always been like this.

2. Jung was a genius, but there were a few points he didn't catch on his first take with this theory, and there actually is the possibility of ambiversion. As my INTJ friend said, "Ambidexterity is an extremely rare condition, and you have it. It wouldn't be too much of a relative leap to assume that it could be tied to cognitive ambiversion."

Last edited: