How quickly do you speak your mind?

middle1

Hellur
Feb 21, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Undecided
Last night I was watching a documentary interviewing modern day philosopher types and it kinda blew my mind because they had enormous opinions on a lot of things and never hesitated or paused once to gather their string of thoughts that raised questions they immediately answered themselves.

So I notice others doing this on a less deeper level everyday. Most people it seems can quickly form an opinion and speak it within seconds of the topic or question being introduced. I don't know if this an extrovert/introvert issue or something more into the MBTI or not at all.

I require a moment at least to gather my thoughts and convey them and would much prefer spending a lot more time pondering whatever issue before giving an opinion. This is why I love to write to communicate; I can control the direction of my thoughts and completely back them up on a neat little piece of paper. I imagine most of you have similar responses as I do.

So how quickly do you speak your mind?

Quickly. AND DONT TELL ME DIFFERENT :m073:

I think philosophers of the type you are describing (I'm guessing ones who focus on social issues as opposed to analytic philosophers) would be the types of people that are opinionated and have a lot to say about everything.

If I have something to say right away, it's either because
-I've thought about this recently enough and thoroughly enough that it's coherent in my mind
-I'm expressing a viewpoint which I haven't considered whether or not I've agreed with. I can talk really fluently if I don't have to be held to my "opinions" later.

Quickly and Slowly. Sometimes never.

Last night I was watching a documentary interviewing modern day philosopher types and it kinda blew my mind because they had enormous opinions on a lot of things and never hesitated or paused once to gather their string of thoughts that raised questions they immediately answered themselves.

So I notice others doing this on a less deeper level everyday. Most people it seems can quickly form an opinion and speak it within seconds of the topic or question being introduced. I don't know if this an extrovert/introvert issue or something more into the MBTI or not at all.

I require a moment at least to gather my thoughts and convey them and would much prefer spending a lot more time pondering whatever issue before giving an opinion. This is why I love to write to communicate; I can control the direction of my thoughts and completely back them up on a neat little piece of paper. I imagine most of you have similar responses as I do.

A philosopher would be someone who was constantly engaged in thinking and analysing the types of things they were asked. As a result, they would likely already have an opinion since chances are they've probably thought about it before.

It also depends on the audience. If they know they're speaking to "philosophical" viewer, then they probably won't need to mince words or alter their language to explain themselves, because they're aware that they can be philosophical in their speech without censoring themselves.

So, all that factors in.

It depends on what I'm going to be saying. I'm much less likely to just speak my mind if I know it might hurt someone when it doesn't need to. if it's all in good fun, and I'm with friends, I'm generally the first in line to throw my opinion out there.

I find that most, if questioned on their opinions origin, freeze, I asked and it was simply they say what they are thinking at that point, some even admitted to just trying to sound smart. I talk like the 'philosophers' mentioned but I spend a vast amount of time coming up with anwsers to questions that could be asked. With that in mind only the interverted would spend the stupid amount of time thinking about what extraverts see as pointless.

Sometimes straight away and other times I just keep the conversation inside my head and it never gets spoken...

Depends, between a) to whom am I saying this, b) the context and the situation, and c) the amount of damage I'm causing to them and myself.

I can speak my mind very quickly or be quiet depending on those three factors. (albeit silence speaks a thousand words, I guess)

[MENTION=1516]KazeCraven[/MENTION] I totally get what you mean on your last point!! I guess sometimes I'm hesitant to speak if I'm afraid its going to come back to me at some point or another.

[MENTION=1669]Anita[/MENTION] yeah it would be silly to compare normal people to philosophers who spend their lives passionately examining ideas. Just watching them speak reminded me of how most people seem a little cocksure with their opinions and like [MENTION=2800]detectivepope[/MENTION] said I only state say my peice when I'm comfortable about what I'm talking about and after having seriously thought about it before.

Unless of course I am around people who know me well enough to know when to take what I have said to heart and when to take it with a grain of salt. And I'm not in fear of being held accountable for saying something or arguing a point I don't necessarily support.

It really depends what's on my mind and who I'm speaking to.

[MENTION=1516]KazeCraven[/MENTION] I totally get what you mean on your last point!! I guess sometimes I'm hesitant to speak if I'm afraid its going to come back to me at some point or another.

Yeah, I find it very annoying when I learn something that makes me realize my words weren't entirely accurate, and therefore that I communicated a falsehood.

Sometimes straight away and other times I just keep the conversation inside my head and it never gets spoken...
+1

When it's about abstractions and I believe I'm in a safe place, I can quickly fire up into a passionate orator. If I feel personally vulnerable, I'm very slow and reticent to speak.

I think out loud and often say most of what's on my mind. (And sometimes regret it later)
but that's an extrovert/introvert thing

I think out loud and often say most of what's on my mind. (And sometimes regret it later)
but that's an extrovert/introvert thing

Actually, I'm inclined to disagree. I find articulation helps me to put words to concepts, and I'll think out loud if it helps to move on a discussion.

A.D.D. vs. Infj

I can speak my mind,as in what I know to be factual,but to express,what I feel/think about something(s)/issue(s),reflection time,seems,to be critical,before opening my mouth.Otherwise,I flinch,worried,at what may come out of it..

It depends on what I'm going to be saying. I'm much less likely to just speak my mind if I know it might hurt someone when it doesn't need to. if it's all in good fun, and I'm with friends, I'm generally the first in line to throw my opinion out there.

Depends, between a) to whom am I saying this, b) the context and the situation, and c) the amount of damage I'm causing to them and myself.

I can speak my mind very quickly or be quiet depending on those three factors. (albeit silence speaks a thousand words, I guess)

It really depends what's on my mind and who I'm speaking to.

+1

When it's about abstractions and I believe I'm in a safe place, I can quickly fire up into a passionate orator. If I feel personally vulnerable, I'm very slow and reticent to speak.

Quite true, especially the last line.

For the most part I will speak my mind right away. If I am in a discussion/feedback group I don't hesitate much, if at all. Even if I don't know where I stand on something, I will express that I don't know where I stand on something and I will talk it out from there attempting to come to some sort of conclusion (even if the conclusion is that there is no answer).

However, I don't always speak my mind, or speak it right away. If it will encroach on someone elses opinion and feelings in a negative way which would cause them to respond badly, I usually will hold back. I might eventually say something if I feel I can approach it in a delicate enough manner as not to arise too much controversy or conflict. If I can't I will keep it to myself. Interestingly though, I will often express what I was thinking to one of my friends later on, as I usually do not like to hold such things in. Another big thing that will cause me to hesitate or hold things in is if it will distrupt the social order of the group. I seldom if ever violate that, and if speaking my mind requires that, it will stay in.