How much harm does alcohol really bring you? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How much harm does alcohol really bring you?

Drinking responsibly is hard.

Get out of here. We drink the potent. Times are hard and days are short. Any excuse to consume the branded style....many times distilled goodness.

fair enough if u dont like it dou

I found god in the bottom of a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue.

Fancy!

I don't think the problem lies so much with the alcohol itself so much as how often it is consumed, why it is consumed, and by whom.

Anything can become an addiction, and some people are more prone to addictions. Or are in place in their life where they are especially prone. The key is to know yourself.

Reactions: rawr and invisible
The only place I haven't looked.

Some say you can find it in the bottom of a beercan, but it's like a Willy Wonka golden ticket sort of thing.

To the the OP, no i don't think it's that dangerous, nor harming, depending on your level of awareness. If someone starts to drink everyday then that person haves a problem that probably goes further than just alcohol.

Last edited:
Alcohol is a toxin. When it comes to using your head when dealing with alcohol, you either use it or you lose it.

(the drinking habits of the irish are what they have been made out to be, I'll be honest and say they are actually worse),

Really, I can't say I've met too many alcoholics in my life. There is the ritual and community in going to the pub for the smaller towns, but most of the people I know in such situations are able to handle their drink. The WHO doesn't have Ireland in even the top twenty for alcohol consumption per capita.

Would humanity be better off without alcohol?

i wish they would make advertising for it illegal. the advertising is so pervasive for something that causes such great expense to society.

I think... some can handle alcohol while others cant. Just as some can drive while others cant. I am on the fence as to whether if possible it should be removed. But I dont have to decide because it never will be.

There certainly seems to be a genetic component to how people handle their alcohol.

I'm French, we're made to drink red wine and it keeps our hearts healthy :). My mother didn't drink red wine and she had a heart attack at 52, perhaps she should have been drinking red wine (I'm just kidding here, she also smoked, didn't exercise and didn't eat healthy...).

Given the history of heart problems in the female members of my family I eat healthy, I exercise and I drink red wine in moderation. At the end of a very stressful day one glass of red wine can mellow me out and change my mood from all stressed out to happy so I can vouch for the benefits in that way, but then again I can stick to one glass with no problem and I don't drink on most days.

My ex is from an Irish family and they don't have a lot of self-control when it comes to alcohol and they think it's funny, but it's mostly about their personalities, they don't have much self-control about a lot things (or they don't want to control themselves). If it wasn't drinking it would be something else. This sounds like I'm saying that all Irish people are like this, I do know lots that aren't but my ex's family certainly promotes the Irish stereotype.

Red wine has cancer fighting anti-oxidants in it

Organic food has 60% more anti-oxidants in it than food sprayed with carcinogenic pesticides

So i guess the ideal is a glass of organic red a day...good for the heart and the soul!

Now we just need more people producing organic to bring the prices down!

Reactions: Odyne
i wish they would make advertising for it illegal. the advertising is so pervasive for something that causes such great expense to society.

Word. Whenever I see a Budweiser commercial and the star of the commercial is surrounded by super cool guy friends and super model girlfriends who are begging him for the cock. I always think "Wow... so if I buy Budweiser does it come with the super cool guy friends and the supermodel girlfriend too???". It makes me giggle inside because that's basically what they sell. But the reality is alcohol won't surround you with good friends or girlfriends. It will just give you a buzz. You might feel more relaxed around people, but you won't become more intelligent. And very very few people become better conversationalists after drinking, they mostly just feel like they are.

So yeah, I agree. America has a poor culture when it comes to alcohol. It is our drug of choice, and it's more encouraged than discouraged.

Reactions: invisible
Well, I've felt some of the negative effects first-hand, but alcohol wasn't the cause of my "problems", but rather a naive and juvenile response to them. I ​really​ enjoy good beer and good whiskey, but I've also learned to enjoy it all in moderation. I can't stand hangovers, so I purposefully avoid behavior that leads to one.

Like everyone else has said before, know yourself and your limits, and stick within them.

Historically speaking Humanity wouldn't really exist without alcohol, at least not as we know it today.

True. Many of us were the result of one night of alcohol-induced bad decision making.

I know that this wasn't what you meant, but there's actually a hilariously high statistic (something like one-third of unwanted pregnancies are alcohol related)/ I have to find it again.

Reactions: Radiantshadow
True. Many of us were the result of one night of alcohol-induced bad decision making.

I know that this wasn't what you meant, but there's actually a hilariously high statistic (something like one-third of unwanted pregnancies are alcohol related)/ I have to find it again.

That is true, apparently my younger brother was the result of a drunken new year's eve party and he's a great guy and has four kids of his own now.

I don't think the problem lies so much with the alcohol itself so much as how often it is consumed, why it is consumed, and by whom.

Anything can become an addiction, and some people are more prone to addictions. Or are in place in their life where they are especially prone. The key is to know yourself.
The why it is consumed; you may have hit the nail on the head. Some are happy drunks; some beat their family. Maybe its the mind of the spirit?

Alcohol (in the right amount, or "dosage" as I put it lately), gives me a lot of clarity with pressing decisions. It also helps regulate and release my emotions. I'd go as far to say that my intake is spiritually cleansing.