How many INFJs assumed they were Ts before they understood typology? | INFJ Forum

How many INFJs assumed they were Ts before they understood typology?

justeccentricnotinsane

Community Member
Oct 7, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
I did because I tend to characterise myself foremost by my curiosity over the physical and conceptual the world and society (more so than individual people who seem rather obvious to me), my constant rationalising and my hate of irrationality. I start to feel irate if other people's opinions don't stand up to logic but usually keep quiet. i open my mouth if there's a moral dimension, but otherwise it would be petty. I also consider myself to be "hard and direct" rather than "soft and fluffy" which is how I assumed things to be before I understood typology. I now understand that this is Ti.

Anyone else?

I actually tested as a "T" with the officially MBTI, but I realized later INTJ didn't quite fit my preferences. I think many people mistype, but until they get honest and "real" about who they truly are they won't type themselves correctly. For some that can take years, but eventually things will click.

I originally typed as INTJ and frequently continue to type as INTJ. Others have typed me as INTJ but I definitely know I am not a T.

Reactions: 5ufvdee369jcdd
If you know my parents then you would be surprised how much Fe I have vs the amount I "should" have. They are both very logical and in my father's case, extroverted.

It wasn't until I started making life-changing decisions based more on feelings than logic that I retook the MBTI test a bit more seriously and tested as an INFJ. Before that, I just assumed I was an INTJ - but I also never really had to make any serious decisions prior to that

(and by life changing I mean along the line of moving 2000 miles away from anyone and everyone I know).

I've always tested as INFJ, with the exception of random results during times of stress where I can get pretty much any result like INTJ, INFP, ENFJ, ISFJ.

I've talked to various people and they all have said they presumed me to be a T before getting to know me, then quickly changed their opinion once they'd spent more than a small amount of time with me.

If you had asked me when I was younger before I knew anything about typing, I'd have probably said I'm a T because I really strive to go in that direction, but Fe is sort of second nature to me so much so to the point of me forgetting it's what I do naturally.

Shoot...in only took a few minutes of me trolling the INTJ websites (and dating an INTJ) to see the major differences. I can see some of my preferences lean towards their humor and the logical way they set up arguments, but the differences are definitely there. Fi vs Fe is a huge difference, as is Te/Ti.

talked to various people and they all have said they presumed me to be a T before getting to know me, then quickly changed their opinion once they'd spent more than a small amount of time with me.

If you had asked me when I was younger before I knew anything about typing, I'd have probably said I'm a T because I really strive to go in that direction, but Fe is sort of second nature to me so much so to the point of me forgetting it's what I do naturally.

This. Spot on.

Another question. Is there anything about the INFJ that may make us assume we're thinkers more than other types?

Or rather, are there some feelers that may confuse themselves for thinkers before they understand typology and some types of thinkers that may confused themselves for feelers? Is there are trend within personality types or is it up to the individual? As in, is there any personality type that is more likely to know "I'm definitely a feeler" or "I'm definitely a thinker" because of the way that personality type behaves/reacts? I imagine it has more to do with the strength of certain functions (strong tertiary for example) and the culture you've been brought up in, but just in case.

Sorry, that was a bit vague. I hope it's understandable.

all the mistyped SFs and STs on this site still think I am a T... lol... I am not, but for the same things you said. Hard and direct, logical, etc. I still base my life around my feelings though and specifically the feelings of the people I love, and making sure they have what they need so I can feel comfortable.

I tested INTJ on the official test, but just barely (51% T, 49% F).
The description sounded somewhat like me, but didn't feel quite right,
and with the results being so close I couldn't help but wonder.
I started investigating, and looked into INFJ as an alternate possibility.
The description for INFJ was so accurate it was almost scary.
The majority of my extended family are ST's, and I also test
as enneagram 5, so those things might explain my original results.

This is really interesting to read, and really cements that I am not an INFJ. :smile: I am nowhere near being a T type. My brother is an ISTJ, and our communication styles are so very different.

In early high school, I tested INTJ, and related very much to the type. The T wasn't too high (62%T to 38%F), but I found myself making decisions in a very similar fashion that Lerxst described. I didn't recognize that I was more of a feeler until about 16-17. To this day, I still will test INTJ every once in a while.

never ever thought i was a T. ok, i did briefly, but it passed.

I did because I tend to characterise myself foremost by my curiosity over the physical and conceptual the world and society (more so than individual people who seem rather obvious to me), my constant rationalising and my hate of irrationality. I start to feel irate if other people's opinions don't stand up to logic but usually keep quiet. i open my mouth if there's a moral dimension, but otherwise it would be petty. I also consider myself to be "hard and direct" rather than "soft and fluffy" which is how I assumed things to be before I understood typology. I now understand that this is Ti.

Anyone else?

When I self typed prior to the taking the an authorized MBTI test, I typed myself as a ISTJ, when I finished the test I typed as a INFJ and and have repeatedly typed as such.

I look like a T on the outside the majority of the time. But if something is upsetting me, then I want to get it off my chest. It's such an "unmanly" thing to do, but it's how I am. :sad:

Unfortunatley, I don't handle conflict that well. As long as there is no conflict, then I'm peaceful and sometimes even playful. :smile:

I'm a tested INFJ who maybe an INTJ who assumed he is an INFJ. Ahhh...the humbleness of type 9s, and this 'mastermind' stereotype of the INTJ....I can't accept it.

People sometimes assume that my best friend is a thinker because she is gifted and a nerd in business school and took sciences for her baccalaureat. She is not an INFJ but an ISFP though, but still, I can see to which stereotypes people respond. She can be very rational and think but she acts more on feelings and admits it herself.

On the other hand, I thought I was a feeler when I was younger and actually acted like the worst stereotype of the irrational INFP sometimes (with obvious thinking outbursts) because it was an ideal to me. I was disappointed when I read "NT" for the first time, I though I was SF.

One my closest friend is hard to tell between INFJ and INTP because she has a strong Ti and Fe but does not seem Ti dominant. Another guess would be ENTP (because she seems to be using Ne sometimes but I do not really get Ni but she can fake strong Se easily so I'd think she got Se as a function) but she is an introvert. I do believe that she is an INFJ with a tendency to fall in Ni-Ti loops sometimes, but this is mostly because she brings the best out of me and is the only person who actually know that I am a sentimental, have feelings and we share them.
She also admitted that she was unsure to whether she was an F or a P (she would say P though, and it is even more likely than me sometimes but I believe more in functions than main dichotomies for this one) because she seems to use both more or less equally. People see her as a T, I see her as a closet F. INFJs often strike me as very close to being thinkers on forum (and almost no thinkers seem feeler but I would assume that they enjoy the stereotype online because we can use feelings - it is either that or I am a repressed feeler and I was right when I was a teenager) and very close to the way I function with a slight interesting difference because I just can see the Ti in your speech sometimes more than the Fe.

I guess it also has something to do with the topic we're discussing, that your Fe would be more obvious in real life and in certain situations while mine would appear clearly inferior. Plus, there is the Ni working differently than Ne.

I have typed INTJ & INTP in times of extreme duress. I think INFJs can be way more rude, brutally honest & direct than INTJs due to strong emotions, such as pain/anger building up, then all of a sudden being summoned to the surface, and boiling over. My confrontations with INTJs have been too much for even them. We are nasty & self-righteous, and we hold grudges for years. We are far more sensitive, and that cobra is always waiting to strike.

I love my Ts, and my Fs. We are all made to coexist & balance each other out. I am thankful for you all. :D