How many INFJs assumed they were Ts before they understood typology? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How many INFJs assumed they were Ts before they understood typology?

I have never confused myself as a Thinker. I am an INFJ all the way.

Wait...scratch that.

I think age tends to mellow out the hard edges of personality, especially if you have that J preference. I think it is the J that makes Feelers closer to Thinkers than if you were P types. Don't have any sound basis for my belief, more of a thought and I didn't feel like making the flow chart.

It's not just INFJs that mistype as T's. Frequently, a lot of INFPs do too. And it's not that they're answering untruthfully, but rather, because the answers to the questions are internalized by tertiary or inferior thinking functions first. An INTJ and an INFJ might arrive at the same conclusion, for example, but each has their own style of expression thanks to their respective dominant and secondary functions.

I too - like everyone else (although in retrospect, this is probably because of the nature of this thread) - tested as INTJ initially and thought i was for half a year until i began to do more research and ultimately came to the conclusion that I was more INFJ than INTJ.

all the mistyped SFs and STs on this site still think I am a T... lol... I am not, but for the same things you said. Hard and direct, logical, etc. I still base my life around my feelings though and specifically the feelings of the people I love, and making sure they have what they need so I can feel comfortable.

From my tiny interaction with you, I can guess that you're a Te type. The way you (seem to) process factual information is largely unlike Ti. [I am by no means implying that IxFJs can't be logical, but it's a completely different flavour of T-ness. @arbygil is one example.] I realized this when I was arguing with you regarding the validity of Podlair a long time ago and you said several things that made me wonder if you weren't INFJ, e.g. (paraphrasing) you said you would rather read a book about MBTI than believe some random teenagers on an internet forum, which in hindsight is so ridiculously Te. You showed a strong affinity for scientific validity via research, survey and other objectively verified means of validation that something must pass for you to take it seriously, as well. My personal opinion of your type has been IxTJ, because of this. There are certain other things as well, such as how you set up your arguments for example, which is completely unlike how IxFJs do it. Not to mention the Fi>Fe among other things.

I don't think you're a very logical IxFJ, but rather an emotionally and ethically inclined IxTJ. See @kiu .

Reactions: not sure
I could perhaps be an INTP because I'm a nerd. But I'm not, because I can DO logic, but I don't LIVE logic. I have also typed as INTJ on some test, yet I know my Te is way at the bottom together with my Si.

Before I learned about MBTI, if someone had asked me if I was a thinker or a feeler, I would have answered "Thinker, of course!".

Just put a bit more thought into this and wondered - does this mean we identify ourselves by our tertiary function more than our auxiliary function? Perhaps because the tertiary function is less second nature and more something we notice about ourselves?

If someone asked me which function I related to the most it would Ti, but I don't seem to have the same outlook as an INTP or ISTP - I'm quite different from these people. So it would suggest I don't answer that way because it is my most dominant function.

The first time I took MBTI I came out as an ENTP. At the time I was in college and the test was part of curriculum so I wasn't too into it. About 3 years later, when a friend reinvigorated my interest, I actually believed to be an ENTJ. I worked with this assumption for well over a year, maybe two, while I learned the ins and outs of the 16 types. As I started to read the work David Kiersey did on the topic I formed a very good picture of the types but still thought I was ENTJ for some reason. I knew it didn't quite fit and yet I couldn't figure out what I was if NOT ENTJ.

Then I discovered the Enneagram. For 7 months I had been studying Riso and Hudson's large works on the symbol and it's meaning. One day I was sitting here thinking about types 4 and 5 (which I had mystyped myself as one or the other at that point, later understanding I was a 9) and I was instantly struck with the fact that I was an INFJ! I had taken some time away from MBTI to study Enneagram and I think the time away helped my subconscious sort things out a bit more and actually internalize and understand the meaning of the temperaments.

Ha, I fondly remember the moment it occured to me and how I ran to get my Kiersey book and read the INFJ description. I felt wonderful truly *knowing* what I was finally.

The real work is in understanding our Personality so that we can grow yet again, back to our more essential qualities that our personalities initially were created to cope with.

From my tiny interaction with you, I can guess that you're a Te type. The way you (seem to) process factual information is largely unlike Ti. [I am by no means implying that IxFJs can't be logical, but it's a completely different flavour of T-ness. @arbygil is one example.] I realized this when I was arguing with you regarding the validity of Podlair a long time ago and you said several things that made me wonder if you weren't INFJ, e.g. (paraphrasing) you said you would rather read a book about MBTI than believe some random teenagers on an internet forum, which in hindsight is so ridiculously Te. You showed a strong affinity for scientific validity via research, survey and other objectively verified means of validation that something must pass for you to take it seriously, as well. My personal opinion of your type has been IxTJ, because of this. There are certain other things as well, such as how you set up your arguments for example, which is completely unlike how IxFJs do it. Not to mention the Fi>Fe among other things.

I don't think you're a very logical IxFJ, but rather an emotionally and ethically inclined IxTJ. See @kiu .

Taking the word of a book which has been cross checked and fact checked IS the more logical choice then listening to someone like yourself who came out here on your 1st day ready to say who was and wasnt INFJ and now doubt your own INFJ'ness.

That you think I am Fi and Te based shows your lack of Ni + Ti

Ni to know that you dont know, and Ti to research and find the truth behind what makes me tick if you were actually interested.

An affinity for science validating TRUTH is not a T thing... its a smart thing.

I had you pegged for ISFJ the day you walked in, you reek of Si + Fe, from the overt need to push the things you think you know from personal experience and seeking validation.

Reactions: Yollie
Taking the word of a book which has been cross checked and fact checked IS the more logical choice then listening to someone like yourself who came out here on your 1st day ready to say who was and wasnt INFJ and now doubt your own INFJ'ness.

Ni to know that you dont know, and Ti to research and find the truth behind what makes me tick if you were actually interested.

I had you pegged for ISFJ the day you walked in, you reek of Si + Fe, from the overt need to push the things you think you know from personal experience and seeking validation.

If I start a thread, I don't particularly want people to be aggressive on it. I didn't find @Arsal's post particularly offensive.

No, this is a very Te mindset. Ti types don't care about where the information is coming from as long as it holds true empirically, caring about the objective consensus is an inherently Te thing to do (extraverted + thinking). To a Ti-type, a fact is anything that you can see, touch, smell, taste, feel, etc. whereas to a Te-type a fact is anything that can be objectively verified as fact, because stand-alone individuals are not adept at making calls such as that. The fact (har har) that you would reject an opinion on the internet at all goes to show the depth of your non-Ti-ness.

Ni is the exact opposite of "not knowing", that is Si. Ni is fabricating an insular, self-contained view and then carrying it forward with the confidence that that view is the reality. To keep your options open in order to collect more data and to admit to the future being too unpredictable is so, so Si-Ne.

Like I said, there are different approaches to how one approaches facts (read. not truth).

Now this here is an example of Ni, pulling complete random conclusion from absolutely nowhere.

Anyway, w/e.

Last edited:
Now this here is an example of Ni, pulling complete random conclusion from absolutely nowhere.

You totally ingored Billy's evidence on that statement. But by your previous arguments, Ti wouldn't care where it came from, only that is was true..right @Arsal ? Ti types don't care about where the information is coming from as long as it holds true empirically, caring about the objective consensus is an inherently Te thing to do

I think you mistake @Billy 's cultural aspects for some idea of Te / Fi. He's a mushy sensitive guy underneath all the macho conditioning and a total Feeler.

Edit: Besides the inherit beauty of MBTI is that only the individual can determine who they are--the path to understanding your personality begins and ends within, not without. You do people a disservice when you seek to tell them who they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: acd
I knew nothing of MBTI, even after I was tagged an INFJ on multiple occasions over the years. Only later did I read up on it. The upside is that I did not mistype myself, but then again I didn't type myself at all!!!

You totally ingored Billy's evidence on that statement. But by your previous arguments, Ti wouldn't care where it came from, only that is was true..right @Arsal ? Ti types don't care about where the information is coming from as long as it holds true empirically, caring about the objective consensus is an inherently Te thing to do

I didn't say it, but in my head, I did a consistency check. "Am I ISFJ? Let's see. Do I exhibit Si? I don't know. Do I exhibit Fe? Sort of. Conclusion: I don't know."

I might be ISFJ and I might not, I didn't reject that suggestion based on the fact that Billy said it. I do think using it as an insult is kind of lulzy. "You're an ISFJ!" Oh, I'm offended lol.

---

When INFJs "toughen up", it looks different. When INTJs "toughen up", it looks like Billy. Because he's not cold and rational all the time only goes to show he hasn't had a life of rainbows and sunshine and has suffered some semblance of hardship. Many INTJs don't, similar to how many INFJs don't, and those are typical examples of their respective types, however in real life, the lines are usually blurred because everyone is suffering from some form of neurosis. There are many INFJs who mistype themselves as INTP and would swear to be "logical" at heart because they have Ti, which is internally logical and doesn't require external stimulus. Similarly there are many INTJs who mistype as INFJ or INFP, because they have Fi, which tends to appear more active than it is because it is internally consistent, like Ti is for INFJs.

Arsal has no Si. None.
Total INFJ.

Reactions: Billy
I didn't say it, but in my head, I did a consistency check. "Am I ISFJ? Let's see. Do I exhibit Si? I don't know. Do I exhibit Fe? Sort of. Conclusion: I don't know."

Actually, my statement wasn't about you, it was more in reference to [MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION] 's behavior. I tend to not make assessments about people's type or personality. You miss my point though. It isn't about what YOU think Billy is, it is about who Billy believes himself to be. You can argue with all the empirical "evidence" you want and until you are blue in the face. Just because you FEEL confident in YOUR assessment of someone, DOESN'T make it right--EVER. Just because you FEEL you know what a "tough" INFJ and a "tough" INTJ look like, DOESN'T mean you are RIGHT--EVER. It is a soft science for a reason and entirely subjective in many ways. And again, you do someone a disservice by telling them who they are--to clarify, unless they have indicated a desire and/or the nature of your relationship includes a tacit approval for such behavior from you--you are friends, family...

Actually, my statement wasn't about you, it was more in reference to @Billy 's behavior. I tend to not make assessments about people's type or personality. You miss my point though. It isn't about what YOU think Billy is, it is about who Billy believes himself to be. You can argue with all the empirical "evidence" you want and until you are blue in the face. Just because you FEEL confident in YOUR assessment of someone, DOESN'T make it right--EVER. Just because you FEEL you know what a "tough" INFJ and a "tough" INTJ look like, DOESN'T mean you are RIGHT--EVER. It is a soft science for a reason and entirely subjective in many ways. And again, you do someone a disservice by telling them who they are--to clarify, unless they have indicated a desire and/or the nature of your relationship includes a tacit approval for such behavior from you--you are friends, family...

It's not about feeling it, I don't feel the sky is blue. I look at it and make a deduction. Maybe my blue is not the same as your blue, but we can both agree that the colour of the sky and the colour of the sea are the same. We collect more samples and deduct which colours are similar to blue, and which are not, and label them likewise. The object exists independent of our understanding - if one INFJ is not like hundred other INFJs, then he/she might in fact be a different colour altogether.

Nevertheless, I understand your point.

@Billy , I'm sorry if you felt as if I was imposing my opinion on you. I was offering you in on a small insight for you to consider. It's completely fine if you don't agree, my insight remains true by my paradigm of understanding, and yours by yours. That's fine.

Ho do you know? What would it look like?

Si is the dirty little function no one wants. Note the Way Arsal didn't say oh Billy you're an INTJ he said IXTJ which is a less obvious way of saying ISTJ, which is the type apparently no INFJ or INTJ wants to be. He thought he was clever putting it in there which is why I responded with ISFJ for him, which I think is actually a lot closer to reality then his claims. Aero is obviously one of his friends/supporters and I am easy to disagree with because I dont blow people.

Si is the dirty little function no one wants. Note the Way Arsal didn't say oh Billy you're an INTJ he said IXTJ which is a less obvious way of saying ISTJ which is the type apparently no INFJ or INTJ wants to be. He thought he was clever putting it in there which is why I responded with ISFJ for him, which I think is actually a lot closer to reality then his claims. Aero is obviously one of his friends/supporters and I am easy to disagree with because I dont blow people.

Lol sure. If you would like to assume that...