How Does It Feel to be Popular? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How Does It Feel to be Popular?

It's taken a while for it to all come back to me, but I have a lot to contribute from my high school experience.

I definitely developed early compared to my peers, and as a result I was often told I was pretty and asked out. Many popular girls always wanted to associate with me, but I didn't pay too much attention to them because they were not in the academic group that I was in--I didn't want to be seen as just any bimbo. Males and females would often seek me out for romantic and life advice. It seemed like most everyone was much shier, much more naive, and less independent than I was, and very shy people would confide in me that they had always looked up to me for being brave and outgoing in their eyes, for doing things like MCing, performing, and public speaking in front of the school. I was tall and physically imposing, and though I was never the best (and this ended up eating away at my pride eventually), I did well at anything I tried my hand at. As a result of all of this, I thought I was hot shit the entire time before I became depressed. I had fun being generally outgoing and adventurous and a little eccentric, even if people at my school were sort of joy kills. I felt like I related a lot to the anime character Haruhi Suzumiya (for those who have watched it). At times I had mini existential crises a la Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls.

Depression/anxiety and surrounding experiences sobered me up a lot. It humbled me immensely. Before, life was all one big power and fun trip to me (I strongly identified with enneagram 8 at the time). But we aren't in high school anymore. I feel like the way I viewed things back then was a mistake. I should have worked harder and been a better person from earlier on rather than squeezing as much as I could out of pure, substanceless confidence and expecting things to go my way purely out of will instead of out of true committed heart, thought, and effort.

Reactions: subwayrider
I was disgusted towards girls that liked me when they obviously didn't even know why they liked me. All they knew was that their hormones were tethered to their perceptions of other people's perceptions of me.

I'm always like that; it makes it hard to get laid.

i avoided popularity throughout my life, and it's only been the last fifteen years or so that i've become more comfortable with being thought of as cool or worthy in some way to other people.
meh, i still don't care and sometimes it's inconvenient. i prefer my own company, or the company of one or two others maximum

Can anyone tell me how it feels to be popular? I have never had this experience. How does it feel to be one of those people constantly in the limelight? How does it feel to thirst for attention and admiration? To have boatloads of energy and enthusiasm? To have a far-reaching social circle?

I'm sort of fascinated by Extraverts...especially Ps.

For an extrovert, I suspect that being popular is as satisfying as a quiet low-light dinner with a good friend is for us - socially. Popularity probably brings an extrovert as much excitement as buying and furnishing a cool, awesome, secret getaway does to us.

On balance, I am guessing that for an extrovert satisfaction is easier to get, but harder to keep than it is for us. Ie. popularity for an extrovert is less frustrating, but has more anxiety than meaningful conversations and places of retreat are for us.

I would never categorize myself as popular, however, I have literally been in the limelight. I sense more than a bit of judgment in the language you use, such as "thirst for attention"...whilst describing extroverted behavior. I did theatre for a number of years, from about 8th grade through the first 2 years of college...so, I spent lots of time on stage in front of people (who applauded when I was done...lol). I dunno what to say here, what you are looking for. There are times I am "on" and I can hold a group of people's attention easily, it isn't anything that I consciously do, where I say "I'm gonna do this and this and that", it just is. I'm exceedingly comfortable in front of people and able to speak my mind readily. It just doesn't occur to me to worry about being the one in the forefront....internally, I would rather be in the background....but I have found that I rarely fade away unnoticed. I wouldn't say it was a thirst or a desire, it is just something I've always been willing to be/do in my life. I often find people tend to know who I am even if I don't know them. I'm not talking about high school here, I moved so much in high school that I wouldn't consider myself popular by any stretch of the imagination. However, in college and at an given job I've had, I've always been in a leadership role and outspoken.

Last edited:
I was very popular in secondary school (through completely changing my personality) and for a teenager, it can be pretty rewarding. It isolates you and makes you more focused on what others think of you rather than your own opinion. Still, it feels pretty great when everyone is chanting your name at graduation.

Everyone wants a piece of you, so in the end it's easy to get gnawed.

Can anyone tell me how it feels to be popular? I have never had this experience. How does it feel to be one of those people constantly in the limelight? How does it feel to thirst for attention and admiration? To have boatloads of energy and enthusiasm? To have a far-reaching social circle?

I'm sort of fascinated by Extraverts...especially Ps.

How would you know you were popular if you were? From your perspective, people have treated you a certain way your entire life...