How Does It Feel to be Popular?

subwayrider

Into the White
Sep 26, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Can anyone tell me how it feels to be popular? I have never had this experience. How does it feel to be one of those people constantly in the limelight? How does it feel to thirst for attention and admiration? To have boatloads of energy and enthusiasm? To have a far-reaching social circle?

I'm sort of fascinated by Extraverts...especially Ps.

Never really had the experience in my usual social activities, but I guess when I do a poetry gig and it goes well and I get a cheer from the audience, I do get a quiet contented high almost feeling a warm connection, I guess similar to altruistic love. But those situations are not that common, and just as likely it can go the other way, so I try not to get too fussed about popularity as it can put you off your creativity.

Its pretty amazing.

-----

Its a good feeling to walk around knowing most of the people in your general vicinity like you and want you to be around them, even if it is just for shallow reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skarekrow and rawr
I have only ever been popular in a limited context--often for subject matter expertise or seniority within hobbies. So, this may be different from being popular for physical attractiveness, social skills, or talent. With this version of popular, there is still a lot of power. You realize how easily what you say can become actions and reality in other people's lives. There can be much responsibility with this and mistakes can leave you feeling really awful. But it's also easy to let it go to your head and behave badly--to become irreverent and dismissive.

A painful lesson I learned was when I ran into someone years later from one of these circles. I was happy to see him. He was one of the people I had felt close to and liked a lot. After talking for a long time he let his guard down and confessed to me that I had really hurt him way back then. This was someone I had known primarily over the internet. I had treated it like a game. I was sharp and quick with everyone thinking I was being witty and even crediting this for my popularity. I was oblivious to having hurt someone I liked so much and didn't know for years. I apologized profusely, tried to explain my perspective and told him how I always had positive feelings with him.

I'm grateful to have learned this lesson in a low casualty environment. I know I made others feel the same way but this would have all been so much worse had I been popular in the cheerleader or class president way. So, now I hope that should I ever become popular again in any circle that I will be much better behaved. The question remains though as to whether this empathy and awareness are obstacles to popularity.

It's draining. It also feels like you know lots of people, but aren't really close to any of them. So it can be just as alienating as being "unpopular."

But I am biased, being an introvert who only keeps a small group of close friends. I suppose you'd need to ask extraverts what it's like having tons of friends, but they get their energy from that, so, grain of salt.

Honestly though, you aren't missing out on anything. Popularity is not something that matters. I share your fascination with extraverts as well.

I got to be friends with the captain of the cheerleader squad in high school, Horatio. Her popularity was isolating for her so in a weird way we were both outcasts of sorts.

Interesting [MENTION=9350]sentientsixpence[/MENTION]. I suppose popularity is a superficial feeling social aspect. I wasn't popular, but I wasn't unpopular either. I was like... middle of the road but really quiet. I hardly talked in high school. One girl called me a mute. ^^

I definitely wasn't popular, but I had a very widespread reputation for being "stuck up" or "that genius girl that sings". I was friends with some of the "popular" people though, and that pace is definitely not for me.

depends on what you mean by popularity. Being noticed for something on a regular basis is not in the same league as popularity i think. I was not popular in school, but I was noticeable. Sometimes, for good reasons, and others more embarrassing or less positive. Being noticed for something you do well can feel good, make you feel more confident and competent. On the other hand, it can get to your head, so you may think more of yourself, maybe become a little more arrogant, and heady. It can cause you to think you have more going on than you really do. It also causes the role model syndrome where you are "admired" and people want to be like you because they believe you are much smarter and more capable than they are (based on their perception, not yours). They assume things about you which are not true, and exaggerate your qualities or abilities. Essentially, you become afraid to mess up, like a fallen saint, you don't want to disappoint. People relate to you as a "popular" person, with stars in their eyes, very much like a celeb, rather than treat you just like anyone else. They always want you to impress them. I like being recognized for good things but I don't handle attention very well. Too much makes me feel I have to live up to some extremely high expectations I will likely never meet, or disappoint someone who believed I was more than I seemed.

Last edited:
When I was on my first apprenticeship I some how managed to stand out enough with all my quirks and odd skills that I became popular and well known and respected, though at the time I was very much into my martial arts and often times worried that it was causing people to act out of fear rather than genuine feelings, however those worries did up resulting in nothing.

I loved it as I didn't sacrifice anything of myself to become popular and in association other people became popular as well, some of which were far more introverted than I was at the time.

At the end of the day the only thing it really required was a bit of self-confidence and all of a sudden so many people opened up to me. If you anyone who reads this decides to take the advice to heart then there's only one thing that's more important than self-confidence and that's honouring friendship. If you throw friendship away for something so simple as popularity you'll soon enough lose your standings again and will be left with no one to pat you on the shoulder at the end of the day.

I was popular at a few points in my life. The opposite is also true.
Wasn't craving for attention though. The best thing was being energetic and feeling respected. Although these things can be true without being very popular.
I think craving attention is a good few steps towards misery.

Being popular is amazing! I have all the friends I could ever want! It is so great to be loved my so many people!

Who am I kidding? I have no idea. :tongue1:

Reactions: Gaze
It feels slightly better than not being popular.

And you get to think about the silly things that makes the difference.

It is annoying. People meddle with your life. People pretend to know what you're about. People constantly want what they think you have, and nothing but harm comes from envy and jealousy. You have fake friends who aim to up their status by associating with you, or those who wish for your fall to take your place. Either Hypocrisy or hostility.

There is nothing better than leading a quietly fulfilling life. No flower will ever blossom under a scorching sun.

I don't know. I appear to be well-liked, but rarely if ever sought out for company and not a definite member of any group in particular.
But never really rejected anymore either. I did used to be though, which is also partially why I don't like to seek out others for company.
I have about three people I feel I can call anytime to do something, the rest of the people I know, though quite numerous, are encountered by coincidence. But since I changed my attitude there would be no longer anyone around me who pretends to like me, I think.
Whereas before there was hidden hostility that was not entirely unwarranted. Well, I still think the hidden part was lame, and the attempts to badmouth me rather than say what they didn't like. But it's not always easy to bring up and I had a very flippant attitude. I wasn't really me, I suppose.

I wouldn't know.

Sun frower!

*is summoned*

In high school I wasn't one of the *most* "popular" people, but our school was kind of weird; there was a pretty big divide between academic and non-academic students, and transfer people. Also in many areas in Canada, we don't have middle and high school separated--the 5 years of 8-12 are combined into "secondary school", which people just refer to as "high school". Basically it was a very big school compared to what many are probably used to and there wasn't really any sort of social hierarchy in the same way.

I can say that I have always had a big network of people that I know as I was generally always pretty outgoing and non-discriminatory with people I would talk to. I did cheerleading for a year (not that it was extremely indicative of popularity at my school), was probably considered one of the more attractive females relative to the whole population, and was somewhat more iconic than average because of my race. Thus it made it easy for others to want to talk to me and include me into things. I knew many people from surrounding highschools from the past and from extracurriculars and life. I liked performing and was a bit of an attention whore at times; I remember getting voted top actress in my drama class. My moral judgment slipped because of this stuff getting to my head when I was younger, in 7th grade, so I vowed to not repeat my mistakes when I went to high school. I learned early. Still, sometimes I would feel uncomfortable associating with "less popular" people. My focus on academics slipped a lot in high school because I wanted to have fun and skip school with people. My pride took a nosedive because I was involved in the more academic program and I was not used to being surpassed by others academically as well as athletically.. I was extremely ashamed of myself and that hindered me from socializing with people in this program, especially in later years. I remember though, when we had our graduation ceremony, even after I had been going through severe depression and had become extremely withdrawn the last two years in high school, my dad telling me how surprised he was about all the cheering and applause I received when I came out on stage to receive my diploma. It seems that to my family and some people's perceptions, I was quite popular.

Strangely, I feel more popular now than I did during high school. I think it may be partially because I have become more in touch and accepting of myself, which has made me more socially adept, relatable, and empathetic. I'm more like my early self and less like how I was when I was very withdrawn. Mostly though, it's because I bump into people daily who express a desire to drink and hang out with me. People who "know me" say hello to me when I'm out all the time, and I only have vague guesses of who they might be, or they have to re-introduce themselves to me or say they've seen me around high school, but I do not recall their existence. Or I get texts from numbers I do not have on my phone saying they saw me. Or I hear that people have talked about me or been telling their friends/family about me even if I never in a million years thought my existence would be that significant to them. It's downright creepy and I feel like I can never go off guard when I exit my house. I can't freely pick a wedgie as I'm walking down the street lest I receive a text later hearing all about it. It's made me much more conscious and worried of the way I am perceived by others than I used to be. I hate it. Social media and technological advancement has played a huge part in it. Often I just want to take a walk alone downtown and admire the scenery, but then I bump into like 10 different groups of people who talk to me and wonder what I'm up to walking around alone. Christ. It feels like a lot of people know and care about me because I am outgoing and friendly around them, but they only know me on a very thin and superficial level. It feels very strange and empty, and is a bit of a nuisance. It makes me very socially anxious and afraid of going into public at times and is something I've had to work on over these past few years. I try to make the best of it and appreciate my vast collection of connections nowadays. I try to really milk my abilities with this. As an example, I'm now working as the District Liaison in my local Rotaract. I've realized that being friendly, open, and engaging is sort of a talent that not too many people have to the level I do.

I've talked enough lol. Hope my story came of some interest to you.

I interpret popularity in a couple of ways. One as being or putting someone on a pedestal, and the other as popularity being almost synonymous with power. The problem with being on a pedestal or putting someone on a pedestal is it's very difficult to maintain the balance that it takes to stay on the pedestal. In addition, it can attract blind adoration or blind envy. When I say blind, I mean if we put someone on a pedestal they will almost always at some point fall from grace simply because they are human. Also, in situations where people become extremely popular a persons ego can have trouble balancing the reality of their self-perception with other peoples grandiose perception of them. Accepting when you yourself fall from grace can become as difficult as other people accepting when you've fallen from grace. I mean, popularity isn't a replacement for an individuals feelings of self-worth. Maintaining which is which can become very difficult. It can be a precarious position.

Popularity comes with a great deal of power, which also gives a person many opportunities to misuse and/or abuse that power. Some people crave that kind of power and actively seek it out. I've experienced times in my life of both popularity and unpopularity, and a lot of things in between. I don't know how really famous people handle the kind of popularity they have to deal with. I can certainly understand why some very famous people become very reclusive, especially from the standpoint of being an introvert.

Being popular isn't that hard. Just look at God. Dude doesn't even EXIST and people always talk about him.