How do you know when you are ready for a relationship? | INFJ Forum

How do you know when you are ready for a relationship?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
For the longest time, I've avoided getting involved with anyone because I feel I'm just not ready for a relationship, but as time has passed, I've begun to wonder when I will be ready, what signs should I be looking for in myself that would tell me that I'm ready, and whether I have overcome enough of my own personal issues to even be attractive as a possible partner to someone. When do you know that you are ready to start fishing the seas?

For the longest time, I've avoided getting involved with anyone because I feel I'm just not ready for a relationship, but as time has passed, I've begun to wonder when I will be ready, what signs should I be looking for in myself that would tell me that I'm ready, and whether I have overcome enough of my own personal issues to even be attractive as a possible partner to someone. When do you know that you are ready to start fishing the seas?

you have my vote for this thread. I'd like to know to. Been thinking the same thing for quite some time

I know I am ready because my heart is aching to be shared with someone else, I can't describe it. I have never longed for romance as much as I am right now ever before. It's one of those things where you will just "know".

Good question.

I know I am ready because my heart is aching to be shared with someone else, I can't describe it. I have never longed for romance as much as I am right now ever before. It's one of those things where you will just "know".

This would be my answer as well. I agree 150%.

I feel like when you truly long for love...when you crave it, then maybe something inside of you is trying to tell you that you're ready to be loved romantically. Sometimes love itself can help us conquer some of our own personal issues. Give us the courage to face our fears, and things like that. :D

I always strongly crave a romantic relationship. I figure that is part of being a single INFJ. How do you know that you are mature enough and valuable enough to actually have a lasting relationship with someone?

I worry because I recognize that I'm a rather egocentric person and I tend to care about my feelings over the feelings of other people. What if I am so concerned about what I want that I can't connect with potential partners? Aching to be with someone just doesn't seem like enough.

Perhaps I just feel so young and self centered that I fear that I don't have the emotional maturity to truly connect with someone.

Reactions: Blind Bandit

You know when you just did something so great and know you should be happy but you don't feel the happiness. its time to share that experience with someone...:m032:

Perhaps I just feel so young and self centered that I fear that I don't have the emotional maturity to truly connect with someone.

You grow emotionally from the emotional upheavels of a relationship. From my experience it helps INFJs grow in mainly positive ways if you chose a decent partner.

This^^^Where when ever you see other couples, be it in a movie or real life, that part inside your chest just gets really heavy and you yearn to have what they have.

I'm feeling the same way, but perhaps it's just the holiday season.

You know when you just did something so great and know you should be happy but you don't feel the happiness. its time to share that experience with someone...:m032:

In that case I'm ready xD..I need to get better social skills though lol

Yeah. Like Valentine's day when people around you get one, and you think to yourself, "Valentine's Day is so commercialized" while secretly thinking *why didn't i get one?*

I always strongly crave a romantic relationship. I figure that is part of being a single INFJ. How do you know that you are mature enough and valuable enough to actually have a lasting relationship with someone?

I worry because I recognize that I'm a rather egocentric person and I tend to care about my feelings over the feelings of other people. What if I am so concerned about what I want that I can't connect with potential partners? Aching to be with someone just doesn't seem like enough.

I think you can just relax.. You will know you're ready when you unexpectedly meet someone special. They'll hit you like no other

But it might be different if you go the blind date route

You grow emotionally from the emotional upheavels of a relationship. From my experience it helps INFJs grow in mainly positive ways if you chose a decent partner.

I hadn't thought of it that way. I suppose relationships are just like anything else. You need practice to be good at them and to grow and mature.

This^^^Where when ever you see other couples, be it in a movie or real life, that part inside your chest just gets really heavy and you yearn to have what they have.

Agree, winter just makes me want to get somebody to be warm with.

Yeah. Like Valentine's day when people around you get one, and you think to yourself, "Valentine's Day is so commercialized" while secretly thinking *why didn't i get one?*
Exactly!

I hadn't thought of it that way. I suppose relationships are just like anything else. You need practice to be good at them and to grow and mature.

You could look at it that way. I personally feel like you are never really ready for anything...thats life. Kinda like a woman is never really ready to be a mother but when it happens you adjust and learn along the way and keep going forward.

Of course you have to choose well. Can't stress that enough.

Reactions: Solar Empath
I think there is something to that. It might make sense to start with a relationship that doesn't jump into too much commitment for starters.

The ability to identify and solve problems in which you are emotionally invested is one of the more important skills for a successful relationship, I would say.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hm.

Uh....

Er....

Well maybe....

If you just....

No advice here.

Reactions: Top cat