How do you feel about makeup? | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

How do you feel about makeup?

I do not feel comfortable going anywhere but the gym without makeup.
People look at me frequently when I go out and I have this thing about
perfection. I rarely look good these days but it's something I'm working
on.

If I have to make a good impression on someone the day before I will drink
several glasses of water so that my skin and lips appear hydrated and very
healthy. I will make sure my eyebrows have no strays, shape them, fill them in,
apply moisturizer, apply mascara, apply another coat of mascara, bronzer,
blush, eyeliner on my top lid only, chap stick, lip stick, make sure my toe nails
are proper if they're going to be seen, buff my nails, clear coat, nude coat,
clear coat, perfect hair.

I don't know when I became this way. Sometime within the past six years.
It started when I was about seventeen and has just gotten progressively worse.
Sometimes I feel really apprehensive when I go out without at least mascara.
I feel it's a necessary in my life at this point. I don't think this is unhealthy because
I don't have panic attacks when I go out looking like shit, but I do think about
what other people see when they look at me and how bad the bags under my
eyes look, I don't freak out and I know some women that absolutely refuse
to go out without being perfect. I just want to be acceptable.

Reactions: muir
Reactions: Stu
I never really used to be a makeup person, however I have acne scars that make me really self-conscious, so covering up makes me feel more confident. My daily going out routine includes concealer, mineral powder, eyeliner, mascara, and usually a moisturising lip balm. I have tried to go to the local shops a few times without any makeup in an attempt to decrease my self-perceived vanity, and even though I find these experiences not as horrible and daunting as I thought they would be, I much prefer to feel "flawless." I think that once my skin clears up I'll tone down on the makeup.

[MENTION=2926]Bird[/MENTION] what you talkin bout? You damn fine girl! No but seriously, you're gorgeous! I'll admit to being a little bit jealous of you. :) You look like one of those girls that can go out bare faced and still look like one of the most beautiful girls in the room.

[MENTION=1969]SweetDreams[/MENTION] I have the exact same problem! Even last month i wore a LOT more makeup than I do today. I changed my make up routine from wearing a lot more make up to tryin to remedy my skin problems, and its really paid off! My skin looks really great now and my imperfections at this point 70% reduced. Do you have bio oil in Australia? That stuff works miracles on stuff like acne scarring :)

Personally:

In a way, makeup is sort of like war paint to me. Or it can be like part of a costume, a way to help me fulfill a role I may or may not want to play, or a shield between myself and the world. The way I present myself to the world is sort of a reflection of my attitude towards the world on that particular day. Sometimes I just do looks purely for fun and variety.

I don't see it as something I inherently "need". Good care of my skin and health, getting enough sleep, reducing stress, and cultivating a beautiful attitude, and love, make me feel prettier than makeup ever will. My past boyfriends (or my favourite ones, at least) have said they liked me best without any makeup, and I always feel like my own friends look the same or even better to me without makeup, so I figure I might as well feel the same way about myself.

end of last year i bought some *really* tiny swarovski crystals. some ebony coloured ones, and some dark green ones. if i go to music concert or somewhere really nice, i like to place two of the same coloured ones below and extending from the outer corner of one eye. (both eyes would be too much i think)
also, i like to put peppermint oil on my lips (not sure if good for everyone, so i don't recommend). it makes my lips pinker and i like that.
i prefer subtle things. i don’t wear foundation, because i don't feel comfortable wearing it. but i appreciate some people do (for whatever reason: self-esteem, cultural, genuinely feel better about themselves) and i really don't feel it's my business to comment otherwise.

Reactions: Stu
As a fair skinned red head always apply a moisturizer with sunscreen. Most days I go without makeup, but when I do wear it I do so naturally, using soft corals. and brown's. I love the fact it can even out my red undertones and hide my under eye circles that are part of being so fair skinned.

@Bird what you talkin bout? You damn fine girl! No but seriously, you're gorgeous! I'll admit to being a little bit jealous of you. :) You look like one of those girls that can go out bare faced and still look like one of the most beautiful girls in the room.

@SweetDreams I have the exact same problem! Even last month i wore a LOT more makeup than I do today. I changed my make up routine from wearing a lot more make up to tryin to remedy my skin problems, and its really paid off! My skin looks really great now and my imperfections at this point 70% reduced. Do you have bio oil in Australia? That stuff works miracles on stuff like acne scarring :)

Yeah I think constantly wearing makeup makes the problem worse, but I still need my temporary mask to make me feel good haha! Yes we do! Funny you should mention it...I actually have a 60ml bottle at home. I tried it only once or twice and didn't actually like the way it felt on my skin, and I don't know if I should be using it since I have naturally oily skin. But if it's worked for you, I might give it another go!

By the way, how does one actually tag people? That's so cool!

I rarely wear makeup. The most I'll do is some eyeliner, or very occasionally some lipstick. I don't own foundation or blusher. I just don't see the point myself. I know lots of people love makeup and I don't see anything wrong with that, it's just not for me, really.

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw
Yeah I think constantly wearing makeup makes the problem worse, but I still need my temporary mask to make me feel good haha! Yes we do! Funny you should mention it...I actually have a 60ml bottle at home. I tried it only once or twice and didn't actually like the way it felt on my skin, and I don't know if I should be using it since I have naturally oily skin. But if it's worked for you, I might give it another go!

By the way, how does one actually tag people? That's so cool!

tag people by putting an @ sign in front of their username!

Yeah I swear by bio oil....im convinced its the reason i didnt get many stretch marks during pregnancy. I was told to use it as a moisturiser when I was pregnant to ward them off. It's very heavy, so only use a tiny bit, and only dab it on where the scarring is...don#t put it on your whole face. Do it at night so that your face doesnt look too greasy. :)

Oh wow it seems like I should give it a fair go! I think that's where I was going wrong. Silly me! I applied it to my whole face.

[video=youtube;D0XAc3YeZiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0XAc3YeZiU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Reactions: hush and 894tt3h9
I've decided lately that I want to wear as little makeup as possible. I stopped wearing eyeliner. Stopped putting concealer anywhere other than around under my eyes. Stopped wearing any eyeshadow except a skin toned shimmer on my eye lids. Do not wear anything on my lips. Minimal mineral powder on my nose, forehead and chin. I like my face better with less on it.

I would like to get my eyelashes tinted so as to not wear any mascara at all now.

make up? abundant.
i would rather recommend getting some of that paint they use in africa to make themselves with war/dance paints, and do something original.

I don't feel like people who wear make-up or even feel more comfortable wearing make-up are inherently superficial. I'm not particularly superficial or high-maintenance myself, but I'll rarely go out without at least light mascara on because I feel too bare and naked without it. It's been part of my daily grooming routine for so long that I feel like it's a part of my face at this point. When you grow up in a society were normal, natural "flaws" are highlighted as something freakish and wrong, can you blame women for getting hooked on make-up? My mom was a big make-up user, so as soon as I was old enough, she started to teach me how to wear it. I've been doing it since a teenager, and so I pretty much can't stand the way my face looks and feels without it. It's sort of sad in itself, but I'm not going to get hung up over it. If a stranger is going to judge me on face value alone and think I'm a superficial, vacuous creature because I'm wearing a tad eyeliner and mascara, chances are that I don't care for their company anyhow. I'm not in the habit of befriending people who feel compelled to label me with convenient, frequently untrue stereotypes and social stigmas, thanks.

I'll admit that I meet women who are primped out and wonder if they are or will turn out to be pageant moms.

I dunno. The older I get, the less it seems to matter to me. I can do the whole "war paint" (lol [MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION]) and enjoy it. However, for the most part it feels that I am constantly on the go and running behind, so I opt for fast. I wash my face with soap, use baby lotion--when I get up, I put on some black eyeliner and face powder, brush my hair and go go go. Sometimes when I get home (usually 12 hrs later) and before I go out, I will redo the eyeliner and powder before heading back out.

I never thought of make up as something that reflects my self esteem though. My inner girly girl just likes it. I did however, grow up in a household where my academic acheivements were more important than anything. I also did not get any type of strong feedback about my looks from either parent and never really thought much about them to begin with.

I will confess though, that I am happy to be aging well like my mom.

It's important students grades would fall if they weren't allowed to do make up