How do you feel about makeup? | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

How do you feel about makeup?

I'll admit that I meet women who are primped out and wonder if they are or will turn out to be pageant moms.
Are you talking like layers of caked-on makeup, or makeup in general? Because most guys are really bad at detecting natural-looking makeup, like concealer or mascara. I don't personally know a single woman that doesn't wear at least a little bit of makeup- be it just powder or a dab of under-eye concealer. It's a very common thing, and I don't understand this social stigma that all women who wear it are women who have something to prove or are superficial.

Regardless, I'd like to toss in the feminist card and say, why does it matter, in any case? What a woman chooses to put on or do with her body is none of your business. If she wants to paint her skin blue, by all means, it's her body. I've never understood why people feel compelled to publicly call out things they deem unattractive in women, and then have the audacity to turn around and say women are too insecure and self-conscious. Geez, I wonder why!

Reactions: mochi
I'm talking layers and that certain 'perfect' look, day in and day out. It's a stereotype I have in my mind of someone so concerned about her appearance that it gets passed on to her daughter in some sort of obsessive cycle. I've seen it enough that it's colored my perception.

Fortunately, I'm a somewhat rational human being. I'm well aware that the cover isn't the whole story. Do your thing and surface judgements be damned.

[video=youtube;D0XAc3YeZiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0XAc3YeZiU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I like your routine! I don't think I'd be able to pull off the eyebrows, though. :/ I've never tried to darken them and am sure it wouldn't end up looking right if I tried. With enough practice, maybe. :)

Are you talking like layers of caked-on makeup, or makeup in general? Because most guys are really bad at detecting natural-looking makeup, like concealer or mascara. I don't personally know a single woman that doesn't wear at least a little bit of makeup- be it just powder or a dab of under-eye concealer. It's a very common thing, and I don't understand this social stigma that all women who wear it are women who have something to prove or are superficial.

Regardless, I'd like to toss in the feminist card and say, why does it matter, in any case? What a woman chooses to put on or do with her body is none of your business. If she wants to paint her skin blue, by all means, it's her body. I've never understood why people feel compelled to publicly call out things they deem unattractive in women, and then have the audacity to turn around and say women are too insecure and self-conscious. Geez, I wonder why!

LOL at the boldened quote....its SO true! I was at a gig last year and I was the only girl there. I was wearing some shimmery pink shadow, liquid liner and three coats of mascara on top of a little foundation. We went out drinking afterwards, and something wet got on my face and I asked if my make up was running. They were like "What? You're wearing make up?!"

[MENTION=933]Seraphim[/MENTION] Yeah, i agree but I didn't want to shatter any illusions. :D

No, I love mascara. I have dark lashes, but a little bit of mascara makes my eyes pop so much more. I don't usually wear make up these days but I put a light coat or two of mascara on most days.

If you find it clumping you might need to find a different mascara. Often times there is too much mascara on the brush, so you could try wiping it off with a tissue before applying to your lashes.

I like mascara more than liner because it just draws the slightest bit of attention to my eyes and takes all of 10 seconds to apply. Liner is a little trickier and I wouldn't bother putting it on if I were in a rush out the door.

This is why I don't entirely trust it when guys say they "prefer girls without makeup." I suspect that, though they think they prefer girls without makeup, they may actually prefer girls who wear enough makeup to enhance their features but not look obvious. Eyeliner, a natural lip color, blush, that sort of thing.

What's the big deal about mascara, though? It seems like most girls here see it as the one essential. Like, if you don't have time for anything else, at least wear mascara. That seems to be the consensus.

I never cared for mascara. I can understand wearing it if you have blonde eyelashes, but otherwise I don't see the point. It makes your eyelashes stick together and look fake. For me, the one "essential" would be eyeliner. Just enough to emphasize your eyes, but still look natural.
I have blonde eyelashes, so without mascara, I look eyelash-less. I also feel like mascara balances out my features and draws attention to my eyes (I have large cheekbones and a wide jaw), so if I only have time for the essentials, it would be under eye concealer and mascara.

I agree with Neverwhere. If they stick together and look fake, it might be the kind you wear! I also wear brown mascara when I want to look natural, that way the harsh black doesn't look so fake.

By the way, Neverwhere, liner might be trickier to use that quickly, but gel eyeliner isn't! Ever since I swapped to gel eyeliner, I haven't been able to go back. I have an unsteady hand, so it means I can finally wear the little pin-up cat-eye look without looking stupid attempting it!

LOL at the boldened quote....its SO true! I was at a gig last year and I was the only girl there. I was wearing some shimmery pink shadow, liquid liner and three coats of mascara on top of a little foundation. We went out drinking afterwards, and something wet got on my face and I asked if my make up was running. They were like "What? You're wearing make up?!"
Yeah, if I don't want to really wear much, I'll just wear concealer, brown mascara, maybe a little natural cheek blush, and to most guys, I look like I'm wearing no makeup. I think most guys just associate the makeup look with heavy eyeshadow, loads of eyeliner, and lipstick, none of which I really do.

I tend to prefer when Wo(men) don't wear makeup but I also like individuals who accentuate their qualities with light uses of make up. I've also noted that most people (even women) can't really tell when someone else is using a very light dosage of make up. People tend to assume that if someone has relatively flawless skin, that must be make up's doing. From my experiences wearing make up (eye liner, mascara, eyelash curler, blush bronzer and other random assortment of things) I don't tend to really care for it or dislike it. It just kind of was. On other men, I tend to be indifferent towards it unless it's done well which, it often is, in the times I've seen it done (usually my gay friends when they go on dates). I've gone out wearing mascara, guy liner, eyelashes curled, and my finger nails painted (I was chillaxin with a friend and I decided I was bored and wanted to mess around with make up) and for the most part no one really noticed. I didn't notice any more or less looks that not than others.

Interesting discussion - not really my home field, but I'll pitch in! :)

I prefer natural-looking girls. I prefer girls looking pale and relaxed to girls obviously wearing a lot of make-up -- at home at least. On special occasions, or work wise it's different to me.

This thread giving me the itch to do myself up lol.

Edit: I almost never wear make up in the summer months because the Sun does most of the work for me. The most I usually do daily, is apply concealer, SPF moisturizer, lip balm, and curl my lashes. This takes less than a minute.

I will put on a bit more (eye shadow/liner/mascara), if I have work or church, but Foundation in the summer is usually a NO for me.

How I feel about makeup?

I think it's silly. Other than that I don't really care either way. It won't make a difference to me on how I perceive you, whether you got that stuff in your face or not. Sure, if you look like a clown I might look a bit at first, but that's about it.

That's all I can say as a guy haha.

Personally I do not wear or own a lot of makeup. I do not see wearing make up as a bad thing. I just learned how to apply makeup properly. I would not wear a full face of makeup once I actually start wearing it on regular basis. I am really comfortable not wearing makeup. I am fascinated by makeup artistry simply because it is an art. This art requires tools and techniques as well as inspiration. I will say that some people do come off as bit fake if they are wearing loads of makeup...foundation, powder, blush, highlighter, contour, color two-three types of concealer, over 3 types of eye shadow and flash lashes, lip pencil, lipstick and lip gloss. If it makes you look like a different person then its over kill.

I hate makeup. It makes me want to scratch my face off. :m169:

I wear it sometimes, though. But for the most part I just concentrate on taking really good care of my skin. As long as that's clear and looking fabulous I feel super confident without makeup.

I do not get why people need to wear makeup to the pool or beach or carry excessive amounts of makeup while traveling. I find it a bit odd.

I also do not get why people co-ordinate their makeup to their clothes or night and day makeup has to have completely different routines.

Last edited:

I just wanted to point out that this post is awesome. That is all.

Ditto to that! ^

Personally, I think makeup can be fun. I used to not wear any at all, but now I wear just a little bit - mostly to replicate the way my face looks when I'm naturally flushed, or just to add a little color. It's faster than doing my hair all fancy, or something equally artistic.

I think it's pointless if the purpose is to attract someone, since they'll see you without it sooner or later. If it's for some less practical reason, then by all means go bananas with it.

Reactions: Jill Hives
I wish people would wear make up sparingly so it was used only at certain special events such as family occasions or festivals.

I think it's pointless if the purpose is to attract someone, since they'll see you without it sooner or later. If it's for some less practical reason, then by all means go bananas with it.

Depends what you mean by "less practical" reason. I'd phrase make-up for attraction alone as hollow and bland. But practically speaking, as a method of self-expression, make-up can be fantastic, just as with clothing - at least when going all out in extravagance. For day-to-day life, it's perfectly nice to mask or manipulate blemishes to look better, especially for self-attraction, if that makes sense. "Enhancement" can be genuine, as long as the purpose is for yourself, not for others!

I dont get makeup at the gym though. I mean unless you are there to get laid by guido gorilla meatheads.

Reactions: jyrffw54
ok we all remember tammy faye and her addiction to over the counter cosmetics
tammyfaye.jpg