How do you feel about makeup? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

How do you feel about makeup?

Not wearing make up doesn't mean that you are careless in your appearance and wearing make up doesn't mean that you are superficial.
Why does it so often come down to extremes here?

Mascara isn't a lifestyle. It's not a form of being rude. It's just makeup. How you want to express yourself is completely up to you.

True dat. :)

I like make up. I dont wear foundation but I do use
Sunscreen when needed because of the hot Australian summers.
I like wearing eye liner and mascara and I curl my eyelashes. i like nude pink lip glosses. I wear what suits me. I wear
Earrings all the time - large hoops, drop ones... I like pretty perfumes, and putting gloss in my hair.

I like feminine things. Things that are understated but pretty / sexy . I Do not consider myself superficial at all :)

Reactions: Feelings
Haha, when I was in high school I would have been all over that yellow shadow. I loved doing my eye lids up in rainbow colors. I went through a phase of some crazy hair dying also...bright pink and neon purpley blue XD

I'm pretty much boring now. I think it has more to do with the fact that I am broke more than anything though. Hair up keep in such neon colors can get spendy.

Hehe, yesss... me too! I've done blue highlights, purple highlights, red hair, blonde hair, blonde streaks, etc. It always took so long to bleach it and then get it done a couple of days later. I've been thinking about getting some lowlights in my hair lately since spring is coming up and I'm so bored with my natural black color. I think when you're young or a teenager, it's more of an excuse to really have fun with your look. Over 30, some people start to look at you like you're crazy if you have neon color hair.

I had a friend of mine whose mum was one of the ladies that started Manic Panic and she wore red, pink, an lime green in her hair. She would walk around the supermarket in a black trench, black stiletto lace-ups, and her hair up in a messy, frazzled bun. Most people looked at her like she was crazy since she was in her 50s at the time.

Reactions: Gaze
Most people looked at her like she was crazy since she was in her 50s at the time.

I would have high five'd that lady.

I was surprised at how positive all the attention I got was when my hair was neon colored. Ladies would stop with their small children in the supermarkets with big smiles on their faces and be like "Oh look at the prettty colors honey!!" Even little old ladies would stop me and tell me they thought I was beautiful with the most sincere smiles on their faces. The bright colors seemed to make people happy. Which is AWESOME!

Reactions: bionic and Gaze
Wow, I've never heard of something like that before. How does it hurt?

I have long and thick eyelashes so if I try to put some mascara on, I can feel my lashes hit my cheeks. It feels very uncomfortable for me. Also, I can't wear sunglasses or goggles with mascara on either since my lashes hit even more against the lens. My eyes are very sensitive as it is (I have to wear goggles in cold weather because of them) so I don't wear any thing since my eyes automatically start to cry. :/

Reactions: mochi
It's all about self-expression, which is beautiful! Women are also beautiful in their natural state, but if they feel more confident made up, then that seems all positive to me. :D

Reactions: bionic and Gaze
Whenever I think of makeup I always envision a distraught Pagliacci smearing white face on in front of a mirror. I understand this is my own personal interpretation of it, but I always think it looks ridiculously silly even in small quantities. Sort of like painting your face or something.

One person I knew loooong ago wore makeup to the extreme. None of us cared about it until she would deliberately hug us to smudge our clothes with her foundation and lipstick. GRRRRRR, now THAT is superficial.

I used to wear more makeup when I was younger, but as I have gotten older I enjoy natural beauty. I do like to shape my eyebrows, plucking strays and trimming long. I keep my fingernails trimmed b/c I have long fingers and don't need to make them look longer than they are ... plus I love yardwork, so dirty nails are just YUCK.

I do enjoy getting pedicures during the summer. It's important to me to have soft feet b/c God knows I was not blessed with them. Pumice stones, buffers, foot lotion ... you name it. That is ONE thing I think is just downright disgusting ... women who wear flip flops or other open shoes and don't take care of their feet.

^^ Cover that mess up, I don't want to see it. :D

I wore nail polish once... and dyed my hair. It went with the combat boots, trench coat and long hair...

One person I knew loooong ago wore makeup to the extreme. None of us cared about it until she would deliberately hug us to smudge our clothes with her foundation and lipstick. GRRRRRR, now THAT is superficial.

I used to wear more makeup when I was younger, but as I have gotten older I enjoy natural beauty. I do like to shape my eyebrows, plucking strays and trimming long. I keep my fingernails trimmed b/c I have long fingers and don't need to make them look longer than they are ... plus I love yardwork, so dirty nails are just YUCK.

I do enjoy getting pedicures during the summer. It's important to me to have soft feet b/c God knows I was not blessed with them. Pumice stones, buffers, foot lotion ... you name it. That is ONE thing I think is just downright disgusting ... women who wear flip flops or other open shoes and don't take care of their feet.

^^ Cover that mess up, I don't want to see it. :D

I take great care of my feet. Get regular pedicures etc. At the same time my fingernails are a mess. I never get manicures and I tend to bite my nails.

Reactions: Feelings
I also used to have fun colors in my hair when I was younger. I can't do that stuff anymore, and I miss it. I still have my hair cut and highlighted subtly on a regular basis but I'm always jealous of the girls doing my hair and their fun colors and cuts :( There is a way I want to look, and a way I need to look to pay the bills. Lol

I walk around barefoot constantly, so my feet are gnarly as hell because if they were all nice and soft it would hurt to walk on them barefoot as it is I can walk on hot pavement, red rock, pine needles etc.

I walk around barefoot constantly, so my feet are gnarly as hell because if they were all nice and soft it would hurt to walk on them barefoot as it is I can walk on hot pavement, red rock, pine needles etc.

Ewwww ... men need to take care of their feet as well.

What ever makes the person comfortable is fine by me. I dated a girl who wore a lot of make up in high school, and it used to rub off on my clothes. That was weird to talk to her dad about. Personally, I think less is more, but my preference is hardly something I think anyone should take into consideration.

Reactions: slant
I like it because if nothing else it shows that they care about their appearance. Someone that wears makeup allows me to feel better about assuming they they shower and are otherwise hygenic. People who do not wear makeup to me are exotic and not to be taken seriously.

That is a conclusion I might come to if I saw you on the street for the first time with no make up on. Either that or you are lazy and slobbish. Probably the latter.

I don't know, I almost never wear makeup but am extremely hygienic. If it relates to improving my health and general wellness, I am all for it, but makeup does nothing for my health. Actually, make-up isn't all that great for skin and can cause redness, dry skin, acne, etc., in some (as it has in me). My skin is kind of delicate, at least as far as my face goes, so makeup isn't much of an option for me. That doesn't mean I don't take care of my skin or my body, I just use products that instead of covering up problems, do something to help fix them. Without makeup I would hope that I wouldn't look lazy or slobbish, either. Neatness and cleanliness do not have to include makeup, and both are important to me ("cleanliness is next to godliness" is something I've said before). Still, to each his own, I don't really have any strong feelings about makeup.

So... do you automatically not take someone seriously if you note that they aren't wearing make-up?

My feet are taken care of by nature. Callouses are mother nature's miracle shoes.

I for one could not care less if my man had calloused feet. Or hands, for that matter. Now if they're so stinky I can smell them across the room or harboring a fungus farm, then...well, that is something else entirely.

Interesting, so basically, I don't love myself, since I don't wear makeup. People didn't love themselves until makeup was invented during the medieval ages?

Though superficiality vs makeups = infj, my theory about infjs seems to be wrong.

Superficiality has nothing to do with wearing make up. The twain might meet, but it's arbitrary. Wearing make up IS the cultural norm, in the cities at least. :)

Hehe, yesss... me too! I've done blue highlights, purple highlights, red hair, blonde hair, blonde streaks, etc. It always took so long to bleach it and then get it done a couple of days later. I've been thinking about getting some lowlights in my hair lately since spring is coming up and I'm so bored with my natural black color. I think when you're young or a teenager, it's more of an excuse to really have fun with your look. Over 30, some people start to look at you like you're crazy if you have neon color hair.

I had a friend of mine whose mum was one of the ladies that started Manic Panic and she wore red, pink, an lime green in her hair. She would walk around the supermarket in a black trench, black stiletto lace-ups, and her hair up in a messy, frazzled bun. Most people looked at her like she was crazy since she was in her 50s at the time.
:D ...and I was just thinking nostalgically about my teen-days blue hair. Hell... maybe I'll just dye mine blue again. ;)

I don't wear any make up if I'm at home or surrounding area, if I go somewhere else it's mascara, eyebrow pencil, lipgloss, lightpen, powder. If I go out with my friends add blush, eyeliner and the works. If I'm dressed to the nines then false lashes and red lipstick.

I however do not wear make up to attract anyone, I don't care about that, but to express my own aesthetic preference.
Here's what I mean by that:
[video=youtube_share;nWKTfqivbRQ]http://youtu.be/nWKTfqivbRQ[/video]

I don't know, I almost never wear makeup but am extremely hygienic. If it relates to improving my health and general wellness, I am all for it, but makeup does nothing for my health. Actually, make-up isn't all that great for skin and can cause redness, dry skin, acne, etc., in some (as it has in me). My skin is kind of delicate, at least as far as my face goes, so makeup isn't much of an option for me. That doesn't mean I don't take care of my skin or my body, I just use products that instead of covering up problems, do something to help fix them. Without makeup I would hope that I wouldn't look lazy or slobbish, either. Neatness and cleanliness do not have to include makeup, and both are important to me ("cleanliness is next to godliness" is something I've said before). Still, to each his own, I don't really have any strong feelings about makeup.

yep.

i think makeup is actually pretty unhygienic. you're putting crap on your face, and you reuse it.

i wash my face and drink lots of water. sleep is also a good cosmetic. not wearing makeup is not the same as not caring for oneself. it actually takes a bit more care to have a fresh looking face without makeup than to slap some paint on your imperfections.

Reactions: jyrffw54 and AKM
Geez who would of thought make up of all things would be such a strong topic. I wear make up everyday like I said, eyeliner and powder. I can also do the more dramatic stuff and glam it up. Applying make up is fun to learn and I still have all the stuff to do it up. I used to wear really heavy mascara and do my eyes really dramatic and enjoyed every bit of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mochi