How do you feel about makeup? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How do you feel about makeup?

I don't wear makeup. I use a lip balm for chapped lips, that's about it. I have scars on my face, I have an uneven skin tone for various reasons, bushy eyebrows, occasionally a zit or two, nails and hands that show I'm not afraid of hard work. There are several reasons I don't wear it. One is that I don't like the idea of chemicals on my body, especially when they aren't necessary. God created me as I am, life has made the marks it has, and if someone is so shallow to not want to talk to me because I'm not made up, then chances are it was their loss.

As to what I think of other girls who do wear makeup...it's up to them, but those who are afraid to answer the door for a package delivery without being made up take it a bit far, as do those who no longer look anything like themselves. A health, clean, neat, confident woman is far more attractive than one that feels the need to "enhance," cover, or replace what she has.

My 2 cents. (And I'm ESTJ btw.)

Reactions: hush
As a guy, little to none on a Woman is my preference. Just enough to bring out features. Subtle.
I really do not not care for the dark mascara and dark eyeliner that seems to be in fashion right now.

If you start condemning the wearing of make up as a sign of being superficial, where do you draw the line?
Do you go for hair cuts? Do you brush your hair? Do you wear nice clothes and shoes? Match your socks?
Wear any kind of underwear besides "granny panties"?
It's really not a big deal.

Not wearing make up doesn't mean that you are careless in your appearance and wearing make up doesn't mean that you are superficial.
Why does it so often come down to extremes here?

I did not expect for this thread to be able to piss me off so much.
:m038:

Mascara isn't a lifestyle. It's not a form of being rude. It's just makeup. How you want to express yourself is completely up to you.

So, not wearing makeup means a woman doesn't care about yourself?

I believe that's what i said. Though in honestly, I actually said somehting worse: No wearing makeup means a woman doesn't care what YOU or anyone else things of her.

I did not expect for this thread to be able to piss me off so much.

Why ask for people's opinions if you're not opened to tolerate them?

I like makeup, more so seeing it in photos and such though.

My usual combo is black eyeliner, black mascara and something light and rosy on my lips, or just lip balm, and coverage of my dark under eye circles. For less causal occasions I may put white/gray eyeshadow and dark red on the lips. Liquid foundation sometimes depending on how my skin's doing that day, because I'm not too big fan of something "sitting" on my face.
Big time nail polish addict though, I think I have about 50 pcs. :meye:

Reactions: bionic
I like it because if nothing else it shows that they care about their appearance. Someone that wears makeup allows me to feel better about assuming they they shower and are otherwise hygenic. People who do not wear makeup to me are exotic and not to be taken seriously.

Interesting, so basically, I don't love myself, since I don't wear makeup. People didn't love themselves until makeup was invented during the medieval ages?

Though superficiality vs makeups = infj, my theory about infjs seems to be wrong.

That is a conclusion I might come to if I saw you on the street for the first time with no make up on. Either that or you are lazy and slobbish. Probably the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: bionic
I like makeup, more so seeing it in photos and such though.

My usual combo is black eyeliner, black mascara and something light and rosy on my lips, or just lip balm, and coverage of my dark under eye circles. For less causal occasions I may put white/gray eyeshadow and dark red on the lips. Liquid foundation sometimes depending on how my skin's doing that day, because I'm not too big fan of something "sitting" on my face.
Big time nail polish addict though, I think I have about 50 pcs. :meye:

[MENTION=5142]Hemoglobin[/MENTION] has over 50 different nail polishes. Whenever she goes to the petrol station, she buys a new one... it's hilarious! I have to admit, I can't wait to borrow some and paint my toes different colors. LOL

Reactions: the
@Hemoglobin has over 50 different nail polishes. Whenever she goes to the petrol station, she buys a new one... it's hilarious! I have to admit, I can't wait to borrow some and paint my toes different colors. LOL

...always slapping myself on the wrist in the drugstore. Which doesn't help the growing wishlist.

I honestly can't remember how I felt about makeup when I was 20. However at 30, I don't know anyone at work that would show up without at least mascara. That would be strange. It's a social norm for women to wear makeup in a professional atmosphere. I"d have a hard time taking someone seriously that didn't take two seconds to throw on some mascara. It would be like a man with an unkempt beard. Sure, it's natural for him to have a crazy beard, but to look put together and professional you shave it or keep it trimmed.

FWIW I don't wear makeup when I'm out on the boat or at the gym. So, I think that look is cute when you are hanging out and doing fun things. I'm not trying to go for cute at work. I want to be taken seriously.

Reactions: Feelings
Not wearing make up would not automatically make someone look "lazy and slobbish". I think there is much more that goes into that sort of impression than make up alone, such as but not limited to: frumpy clothes, unkempt hair, or looking like they haven't showered in a few days. It is entirely possible for a woman to not wear any make up at all but still look like she cares about her appearance. If people are seriously out there judging people who do not wear make up as being lazy and slobbish...well...I would really rather not associate with such people.

Not wearing make up would not automatically make someone look "lazy and slobbish". I think there is much more that goes into that sort of impression than make up alone, such as but not limited to: frumpy clothes, unkempt hair, or looking like they haven't showered in a few days. It is entirely possible for a woman to not wear any make up at all but still look like she cares about her appearance. If people are seriously out there judging people who do not wear make up as being lazy and slobbish...well...I would really rather not associate with such people.

+over 9000

true. I am picturing a polished woman with slicked back hair and no makeup in my mind and I don't think she's a slob. I am picturing a rather stern woman but basically, yeah. You are right. I wouldn't go as far as to say makeup was superficial though, especially since its a social norm. It's just what we do.

Its not that that is how they look but more of character traits the first impression would put upon me. If I saw someone with no make up on (in a setting where it would be more appropriate than not to wear it) I would think "that lady is a lazy person" or "I bet she is a slob a lot of the time".

[MENTION=5142]Hemoglobin[/MENTION] has over 50 different nail polishes. Whenever she goes to the petrol station, she buys a new one... it's hilarious! I have to admit, I can't wait to borrow some and paint my toes different colors. LOL

It's more like over 100 nowadays! I have them all sorted out by colours as well in containers. Don't want them to get lost >.> Can you say LSI or what?

In regards to the OP: I would never go to work without makeup on. It would look extremely unprofessional of me since I work in the hospitality/bridal industry.

I'll give you an example I made ages ago for another forum:

This is me, same day... 2 hours apart.

198833_171863039533289_100001287823132_457061_4666515_n.jpg

Whilst I know I have a fair amount of makeup on I also know what clients prefer when interacting with me...

I don't wear makeup at home or if I'm having a movie night in with friends or whatever... but when I go out, on goes the pancake mixture....

( I should probably also note that I was quite the uber goth in my teens... a decade later and I still can't fully quit the habit)

Reactions: the and bionic
true. I am picturing a polished woman with slicked back hair and no makeup in my mind and I don't think she's a slob. I am picturing a rather stern woman but basically, yeah. You are right. I wouldn't go as far as to say makeup was superficial though, especially since its a social norm. It's just what we do.

I don't find the use of make up superficial either. I think people should do what makes them happy. Of course we will all have differing views on what is more attractive or not as attractive, and make up might play a part in that. I don't find anything wrong with this. My personal opinion is that incorrectly applied make up, or way too much of it, just flat out looks bad and kind of trashy sometimes. In these instances I tend to think that they'd have been better off just not putting any on at all.

I get enjoyment out of applying make up and playing with different colors and effects, even though I rarely wear it. It is just flat out fun to do sometimes. It's the same reason I have fun braiding my hair. I think it is probably the same for a lot of women. Also, confidence is sexy. If it helps to enhance someones confidence, that is probably what is really most noticeable to others in a lot of cases.

...always slapping myself on the wrist in the drugstore. Which doesn't help the growing wishlist.

It's kay. I used to be really addicted with eyeshadow. I used to even wear yellow eyeshadow when I was younger.... makeup is so much fun... sometimes it's hard not to experiment.

It's kay. I used to be really addicted with eyeshadow. I used to even wear yellow eyeshadow when I was younger.... makeup is so much fun... sometimes it's hard not to experiment.

Haha, when I was in high school I would have been all over that yellow shadow. I loved doing my eye lids up in rainbow colors. I went through a phase of some crazy hair dying also...bright pink and neon purpley blue XD

I'm pretty much boring now. I think it has more to do with the fact that I am broke more than anything though. Hair up keep in such neon colors can get spendy.