Have you ever killed a song through repetition? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Have you ever killed a song through repetition?

"Stronger" Kayne West

when it first came out

Yeah I play them out and then forget about it then rediscover it later.

Yep, I do this too. I've done this with early releases from albums so that when the great album comes out I am underwhelmed. Gotta stop coing that. Plus my online music profiles get heavily weighted.

Sounds sort of like Semantic Satiation, where if you keep repeating a phrase so much it stops sounding like an actual phrase.

Semantic satiation. Semantic satiation. Semantic satiation. Semantic satiation. Semantic satiation.
Semantic satiation. Semantic satiation. Semantic satiation. Semantic satiation. Semantic satiation.

Semantic satiation.

Reactions: KazeCraven
I play songs until the goose bump sensation has faded. Then I put it down and wont listen to it for 3 months come back and get goose bumps again.

i have a tendency to play songs over and over until i absolutely can't stand them, lol. occasionally some really good songs get placed into the "will never get old" box :p

I always do this! Usually it's a random pop song I never used to like but suddenly can't stop listening to. A couple months ago, it was "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani ... just over and over and over for about a week. Then I suddenly couldn't listen to it anymore. Even thinking about it makes me want to barf ... like remembering some time I drank too much.

Yep usually if I find a song that I really like I usually listen to it over and over on youtube or have it on repeat on itunes. The longest I've ever listened to one was like over 300 times it was everything by lighthouse.

I will listen to the same CD over and over and over and over (I'm not obsessive, I'm not obsessive, I'm not obsessive, I'm not obsessive)
I don't really kill it, after awhile I realize that I am not listening to it anymore, it has become background noise. I know it is time to change the CD.

ALL the time! I will re-listen to the same song for weeks on end and then finally it will just get old. Then sometimes months or years later I will come across it again and will fall in love all over!

Some songs really do never get old though!

*later post*

LOVE MUSE

I do believe you contain part of me, please give it back. :m075:

I'm the same =D

I stay with an artist for 4-5 months, accumulating extremely high play counts of like 800-900 counts per song, then I drop them never to return. Unless I re discover them (usually) a year or so later.

And oh lord, LOVE MUSE

Last edited:
yes...I do this all the time...I love a song to death...I can revisit it later...But once its dead its dead for a while...

i have a tendency to play songs over and over until i absolutely can't stand them, lol. occasionally some really good songs get placed into the "will never get old" box :p

Yep. And i loved those songs. Now, they have little or no meaning *sigh*

I loved Kelly Clarkson's "Miss Independent" when it was a hit. I played that song (CD), over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Now, when I hear the song, it's like "whatever."

Last edited:
No, I have quite a diverse list and try to prevent myself from it, instead I'll play it in between listening to other songs ie: I'll put on my 2nd favourite song at the time then my favourite then listen to a few others then go do something then come back to my favourite song. I try to avoid listening to the same song twice in a row as much as possible.

It does seem however regardless of whether I listen to a song a lot or just a few times I find said song less appealing after a few months.

It's more of a genre thing for me. I don't listen to any form of Metal as much as I used to, before it's all I listened to.

I've tried killing this one but it won't die...it just won't die! \m/

[video=youtube;ns4EA4OJt18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns4EA4OJt18[/video]

Like eva-ry day! The really good ones do eventually work their way back into rotation.

I just broke my old record of 'time taken to kill a song'. My new personal best time stands at 4 days, 13 hours and 29 mintues.
Beat that!! :p

So many Beatles songs...

But they will become good again in a couple of months. :D

Unfortunately yes, it is however a nice surprise to rediscover the song a year or two later and fall back in love with it.

Stairway to Heaven was killed, buried and forgotten by the time I was 14. Even to this day I can't stand what used to be my favorite song.

Some of my dead songs. I had to dig'em up again....they smell pretty bad. =(

[video=youtube;TPhnOKmhbBw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPhnOKmhbBw&ob=av2e[/video]

[video=youtube;jjBFqA1JhUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjBFqA1JhUg&ob=av2e[/video]

Right now I'm in the process of getting sick of this but not quite there yet.

[video=youtube;ok3NzJFMIG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok3NzJFMIG8[/video]