Has Anyone Else Been Told They Are Very Logical? | INFJ Forum

Has Anyone Else Been Told They Are Very Logical?

bickelz

BOINK
Jan 1, 2011
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
4w5
My mom keeps telling me this and it kinda pisses me off because it sounds as if i have very little emotion in matters. I guess it could be that my Ti is coming through really strongly be that kinda doesn't make much sense since that is an internal function, obviously, and isn't seen too much on the outside.

The funny thing is that i have really considered myself to have a fairly strong Fe mainly because i get worked up a lot when arguing. Like at school, i will get into arguments with my friends about politics or some other matter that is extremely insignificant and usually lose to their logic but end up winning the argument based on my stubbornness or come away with a compromise by poking just enough holes in their arguments. Just as soon as i know i might lose to logic, i get super frustrated and everyone tells me to calm down yet tells me i am logical at the same time.

Has anyone else had people say that you were super logical when you have an F function? Could it even be logic or just the aura of sounding smart and saying seemingly logic things? Or, are people just insanely stupid about other people's emotions.

Go forth and debate.

Logic has absolutely nothing to do with your cognitive functions. People who are Fi or Fe dominant can be extremely logical people (and I know several). Where as Ti and Te dominant people can be extremely illogical. There might be somewhat of a trend, but it's not reliable enough to call it true.

To be honest though, I don't see why someone would think being seen as logical is a bad thing. Saying such a thing does not imply that some is devoid of feeling or emotions at all. I know several very logical people who are quite emotional and sensitive beings.

some guy I went to high school with / had awkward-drunken-almost-sex with used to do this to me. After the sloppy hook-up. I'm not sure why but he was always weirdly aggressive to me after that, and would try to insult me any time I incorporated logic into a discussion.

some guy I went to high school with / had awkward-drunken-almost-sex with used to do this to me. After the sloppy hook-up. I'm not sure why but he was always weirdly aggressive to me after that, and would try to insult me any time I incorporated logic into a discussion.
Perhaps you "emasculated" him somehow?

I've been told I'm logical. That doesn't stop people from knowing that I'm also very in tune with my emotions. I don't see why the two cannot coexist.

Having Fe doesn't affect logic abilities. Perhaps you just need to put aside some overwhelming feelings and concentrate. Anyway, Fe people might be more logical because we are able to understand the whole issue eg. social implications and work from there.
Personally, I admire those with brilliant logical minds :mcute:

I'm usually a logical person. It doesn't mean I'm insensitive, cold, or that I can't behave irrationally. When I get angry I tend to act or behave irrationally, but that doesn't mean that I'm not still thinking logically. It's just that my emotions can sometimes cloud my actions, or temporarily leave me appearing illogical. Like IndigoSensor basically said, being an 'F' doesn't make you inherently void of logical thinking.

The thing that I can do, which I'm sure everyone in here can do, is just speak while using my intuition in order to listen to myself and if I am passionate I come up with some very interesting solutions which are logical. It is almost like automatic writing but with speaking.

I have been told by not so logical people that I am too logical.
But I am too illogical in the eyes of the super rational people.

So go figure. :wink:

Sometimes others mistake me as a
Ti dom. I interpret this as a great
compliment.

I've been told this since probably 3rd grade. Every report card, that would be in my teachers' comments. My family in general, is pretty logical.

Does it bother me that people think this of me? Of course not. I am a very feeling-oriented person, but that doesn't mean I can't have my rational side to help me keep things in a realistic perspective.

:m146:

I am so frequently in contrast of opinion with those who present themselves as logical and am unable to articulate anything other than senses to defend my perspective that I have come to demean my process of decision-making as inferior and I consider it a great compliment when I get the rare positive comment on the value of my logic.

Yet I still consider my Ti ability strong(ish). :m075:

People with straight hair want curly hair and those with curly want straight (metaphor, not non sequitur). It's the way the world works. Or that's my sense, anyway. ;)

No, I've never been told I was "very logical"...which is fine with me as I find too many nuances/paradoxes in life to let logic (which always seems so limited) stand in the way.

No, but that doesn't mean i'm not logical, it just means no one has ever bothered pointing it out, or many others possibilties which I cannot be bothered to point out.

Perhaps you "emasculated" him somehow?

when I saw him a few days later I was like "hey! I have your sweater in my locker!" and after I gave it to him he was all "can we talk?" and made me go outside so we could private-talk and he could inform me that he didn't want to be in a relationship at this point in his life, and I was like "great! me neither!" and he just kept rejecting me. It was very surreal. Eventually I was just told him I had to catch my bus, and left.

maybe he was offended that he didn't break my heart?

Infrequently. At the heart I am logical though, but I rely on my intuition quite a lot.

INFJ's are often logical. Problems just arise due to what our logic is based upon. We tend to base it upon Se experiences which are inputted into our cognitive processes as fact. The problem is they are just one instance of fact and yet we'll use the limited inputs to deduce great truths and insights into the workings of all things.

If your logic is failing you, it's almost invariably because you lack necessary experience to support your beliefs. This is pretty normal for me, as once I learn something, I rarely remember the sensory facts that comprised that belief years later. This is terrible in arguments and debate since the facts behind reasons are always questioned. INFJ's just want to get to the reasons and operate on that level.

With practice and forcing yourself to consider the natural oppositional view to your own beliefs, you should be able to build better logical arguments. When I make a claim, I usually consider how it will be attacked before I go around being a proponent of it.

One of my bad habits, but also terribly effective habits is to immediately concede to the facts that the other person presents as valid and slightly shift my perspective to something new, and argue based on that new perspective. This usually confuses people enough, so I can win. Why I want to win so bad, I don't know... I just like it for the sake of winning, I could give a crap if I'm right or wrong. I'm highly competitive I guess, and so are you since you get frustrated at the prospect of losing.

Reactions: jyrffw54