Good? a state of mind or state of action? | INFJ Forum

Good? a state of mind or state of action?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by smiffy, Nov 20, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by smiffy
  1. smiffy

    smiffy Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2009
    Threads:
    21
    Messages:
    568
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    XXXX
    I was just wondering how many forum members volunteer in real life to any cause?

    I am a firm believer that good thoughts should be put into good actions. Thoughts in my opinion are only important to one person while actions are important in sharing ones thoughts!

    I think there is no point been idealistic unless you back it up with real observable action, what do you think?
     
  2. Entyqua

    Entyqua Forgotten
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Threads:
    280
    Messages:
    10,015
    Likes Received:
    534
    Trophy Points:
    755
    MBTI:
    INF
    Enneagram:
    messed up
    I volunteer, well I used to before I got sick...Havnt been able to do much a nuthin...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Faye

    Faye ^_^
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    Threads:
    311
    Messages:
    7,269
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    4,619
    Trophy Points:
    892
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Gridania
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Yes, I do volunteer. Volunteerism isn't going to solve the problems we are facing though. The problems are structural. Environmental problems are industrial. Therefore, the only solutions that will be truly effective must be structural and industrial scale.

    That doesn't stop me from volunteering though.
     
  4. OP
    smiffy

    smiffy Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2009
    Threads:
    21
    Messages:
    568
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    XXXX
    don't get me started on the environment! I do what I can, I educate the youth and students I teach about Global warming!

    I think you can try or just sit back and complain! I'll always try to make the world better!
     
  5. Shai Gar

    Shai Gar Guest

    I volunteer with NTES and with St Johns Ambulance.

    I do this for career opportunities, political credit and free training. Very self centred.
     
  6. Indie.J

    Indie.J Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2009
    Threads:
    8
    Messages:
    453
    Likes Received:
    15
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    infj
    I don't think good is necessarily in somebody's actions. There are definitely a lot of good people who naively do not so good things and a lot of bad people who supposedly are doing good things but have an ulterior motive.
    But yes, I am definitely a big believer in putting good intentions into action... I'm just not in a state where I can volunteer.
     
  7. TinyBubbles

    TinyBubbles anarchist

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Threads:
    245
    Messages:
    9,346
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    2,218
    Trophy Points:
    966
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    .
    well good is subjective, what's good to you will not be good in other people's eyes. a quick example: some people believe bullying is good, because it forces the victim to learn to fight back and stand up for themselves. others are staunchly against it in any circumstance, believing it can only create harm.

    but to answer your question, no I don't volunteer to any specific causes. i don't really feel strongly enough about anything to want to.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Puck

    Puck Perilous Pixie
    Donor

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2009
    Threads:
    33
    Messages:
    2,142
    Likes Received:
    461
    Trophy Points:
    215
    MBTI:
    Hey Ho
    Enneagram:
    flibble
    I believe the thought level (state of mind) does have an impact on global consciousness. Therefore, if a person with passionate positive beliefs were to sit at home doing nothing but praying for change, I believe that their good faith would have a positive impact on reality.

    Of course, if a person goes out into the world and gets their hands dirty doing good works (actions), they will receive the immediate payoff of seeing good being done, and it needs people to do this, or else nothing would ever happen.

    Not everyone is able to paricpate actively, however, for any number of reasons. Their positive thoughts go hand in hand with the positive actions of the doers, and they are not lesser beings, but complementary beings.

    That's what I think.

    I have volunteered in the past, but it has never worked out well. For one thing, I can never feel enthusiatic enough about one sole cause - I have a more general desire to bring peace and goodwill to the world, and working towards one cause seems disingenuine to me, espeically when other people involved in the cause are so passionate about it and expect the same from me. My time working for Free Tibet was one such example. Sure I care for Tibet's political freedom, but not any more than I care about anyone else's freedom, and I felt that Free Tibet was one cause at the expense of everything else, and a rather futile one at that.

    Secondly, it's very easy for me to feel used in voluntary work situations, and I will not tolerate that for long either. I'm thinking of my very short stint working for Friends of the Earth, where my worth was pretty much based on my output. I didn't feel like a valued human being, which seemed quite ironic. Perhaps I should have formed 'Friends of the people of the earth' to make my point.

    Thirdly, promotion and fundraising often involve extrovert activities that I am no good at, regardless of the enthusiasm I might feel inside. A couple of months working to raise recycling awareness through door-to-door canvassing was quite enough to show me that a goodly number of people think I'm a bit of a joke when I'm trying to promote anything via face-to-face contact, and although I very much enjoyed meeting the nice people - that was more about my care for humanity than my care for recycling.

    So those are my reasons for not being more active. I just think that my good intentions do not translate well to actions, and that actually makes me less effective at the former, so if, as I believe, having good will does impact on the will of all people, then I'd rather just focus on that. If I'm wrong, then so be it, but whether it's folly or faith, it's the best I can do.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Gaze and Roger like this.
  9. sookie

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Threads:
    109
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    71
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFX
    I am really impressed with the responses here. Helpful Elf I can see what you say. You make a wonderful point. I am impressed with your level of involvement and caring :) I have volunteered. I have volunteered to help the religious organization that I am a member of. I also spend a lot of time trying to help and encourage people that are struggling that are people that I know in this group. I like to help in a way that is heart to heart.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. GarmGarf

    GarmGarf Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2009
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    97
    Likes Received:
    8
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Ha, I'm sort of the opposite of Helpful Elf at the moment.

    Currently I'm game designing for a charity game making project in my university, where the profits will go to Rag Week (organized annual charity fund raising event).

    I'm doing this not so much because I care about fund raising or the charities involved (I don't even think the sponsored charities are chosen yet), but because I enjoy game design.

    So for me, yeah, I'm doing a bit for charity at the moment, but that's really a co product. :S
     
  11. randomsomeone

    randomsomeone Well-known member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Threads:
    8
    Messages:
    2,141
    Likes Received:
    307
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    There are different seasons to our lives and we naturally would want to pay attention to these. I have done volunteer work at many times over the years...it was good. I worked in a certain area for a season...pulled back at some point for some reason...then got into another thing. Something of a cycle. It was perhaps embracing that certain world view which, over time, made service something I "am" rather than something I "do". Eventually it seems to permeate my inner perceptions to the point that even leisure becomes a necessary recharge/balance for being active in the world. When I switched careers 14 years ago it represented for me a further evolution towards public service....in fact, I landed myself smack in the middle of all things environmental including climate change.

    I say this only because I do fully recognize the need to engage and disengage, so if I am up to my neck in volunteerism and someone else isn't, it only means we are at different seasons/places with the whole thing and these can change. It doesn't make me better....even saying it sounds rediculous.

    For me volunteerism was a vehical for changing my perseptions about people, for openning my life up to very different thing from my norm. In this regard I always felt I got more out the activity than those I was trying to help.
     
  12. Roger

    Roger ...

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    80
    Messages:
    2,203
    Likes Received:
    218
    Trophy Points:
    205
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    -
    I volunteer. I am member. I like to support people. I like to help those who are willingly ready to change themselves, because they knew they are doing for themselves. They knew change is the nature of this world. We should try to change and try to be supportive others. This is my second job of my life. I am really lucky to have this job.

    I encourage others, i try to be with them. I believe if you have something good thoughts and they can play big role, you should share with people. :)

    Good thinking can change many lives. :D
     
  13. IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,297
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    I don't really have any time to volunteer for any causes, and to be honest, I am rather adversed to health or enviromnetal causes. They are good things, but that would be torture/punishment for me to have do anything like that. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I much prefer to do things on a personal, one on one scale.

    However, I do a lot of outreach with the chemistry department on campus. Last week me and a bunch of people did a huge demonstration show at a local middle school to get kids excited about science. I love doing stuff like that.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,384
    Messages:
    28,376
    Featured Threads:
    95
    Likes Received:
    23,439
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Yep, i think i have a better chance of helping someone relating on a personal level.
    I don't support the idea that others need to observe the work i do. This may, as Helpful Elf mentions, cause others to judge someone entirely by what they do, actions visible to others. I think we each give in our unique ways and shouldn't be judged by whether or not our actions are visible to anyone else.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. enfp can be shy

    enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,538
    Likes Received:
    288
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    There are many ways to help, not all of them as obvious as others. In the end it's always very hard to identify who helped how, and how much; that includes those who are usually not considered good, or important.

    How do you evaluate which pieces on the chessboard are honorable? They have different abilities; they have different goals. Remove the smallest pawn, and the whole game would have radically changed: all the influences different, the balance of forces disturbed. Remove the villains, and your heroes wouldn't have developed to become heroes. Remove the heroes, and your villains couldn't oppose anyone to become really evil.

    I'm usually agnostic, that often includes ethics. I think people trick each other into believing some of them were more significant for the cause of a result than others. In soccer, a goal-keeper who didn't have to save any shots on the goal during a match is as important, because if he wasn't there at all, maybe then shots would have been more accurate; i.e. his mere presence was a factor. This factor is just as real as the attackers who scored goals to the opponent, only not so visible.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #15 enfp can be shy, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Gaze likes this.
  16. OP
    smiffy

    smiffy Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2009
    Threads:
    21
    Messages:
    568
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    XXXX
    observable means someone notices even just 1 person, that your good intentions turn to good actions! think this is thinking a bit too deep
     
  17. Solar Empath

    Solar Empath Community Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Threads:
    15
    Messages:
    750
    Likes Received:
    39
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Well with this, I can accept your viewpoint with the caveat: good requires both good intent and good action.

    A parent who does good by their children is one of the greatest heroes on the planet. Even if the only person that sees it is the child.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Moxie likes this.
  18. OP
    smiffy

    smiffy Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2009
    Threads:
    21
    Messages:
    568
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    XXXX
    voluntary work is not a gauge of goodness! some people havent got neither the times or means to do such activities, so to be nice even just to one person is converting a good thought to a good action! hence why I believe ones actions are more important than ones thoughts

    Also even if someone has bad thoughts but still manages to act in a good manner through their actions, they are a good person in my book!
     
  19. Solar Empath

    Solar Empath Community Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Threads:
    15
    Messages:
    750
    Likes Received:
    39
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Well it is possible to do good without good intentions: for instance I know of a company that donated $10k to a charity, and then spent over $1 million to advertise the fact. I simply don't credit them for that act.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. sookie

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Threads:
    109
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    71
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFX
    Indigo Sensor this is a wonderful thing to do. As an elementary teacher science is one of those subjects that facinates kids. They love it. Science is a wonderful hook for kids to learn. You may never know the impact that you may have on a child. One of those kids may grow up and go into chemistry just because you went to their school.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page