Galileo

Donor
Oct 8, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
The Challenger
anyone wanna buy some tickets from me 5 dolla

Gotta watch out for those gays, always tryin to sex during soccer.

i know this term has been over-used, but i have finally found an issue i think that warrants its use:

SERIOUSLY, GUYS? WTF?

2022 is gonna be the lamest world cup. evar.

i know this term has been over-used, but i have finally found an issue i think that warrants its use:

SERIOUSLY, GUYS? WTF?

2022 is gonna be the lamest world cup. evar.

what can we say. when all people are doing is staring at a ball it kinda gets us churning. and not in a philosophical way either.

I understand the intent of the anger but I tend to think that cultures should be respected. Your wrong and your right don't fit with everybody. Should we have more tolerance? Yes! It has to start somewhere. Insisting that a culture "change" isn't a good way to start, it just makes people become more firmly entrenched in their ideals rather than embracing an ideal, that being tolerance.

I understand the intent of the anger but I tend to think that cultures should be respected.

Cultures should be respected so long as they are not disrespecting anyone else. Blind respect is dangerous.

I think the problem [MENTION=3096]Sonyab[/MENTION] , and thus the source of the anger and sarcasm, is the fact that this supposed leader used stereotypes to roll out his rules. So if you are gay you are automatically inclined to have sex in pubic, at soccer matches no less? Really?

His country has an alcohol ban. That's fine, it's there prerogative and if you are going to go there you have to follow it, not ask them to change for your one time sporting event. His whole demeanor is one of ignorance, not understanding. If you want people to respect you, your country, and its rules and laws, know who you speak to and learn how to do that respectfully. He certainly failed on that front.

t I tend to think that cultures should be respected. Your wrong and your right don't fit with everybody. Should we have more tolerance? Yes! It has to start somewhere. Insisting that a culture "change" isn't a good way to start, it just makes people become more firmly entrenched in their ideals rather than embracing an ideal, that being tolerance.
and usually, I would agree with you. However in this case, they are hosting an event that attracts thousands of people from all over the world. now to want to host it, and then to set ground rules like this for the international community and expect the world cup to be as good as any other is insane. To expect people not to have an issue with something like this is crazy.

Cultures should be respected so long as they are not disrespecting anyone else. Blind respect is dangerous.
Respect doesn't imply that you agree. I tend to see a bit of arrogance about Western society in regards to their need to point fingers at what is wrong with other cultures. Especially considering Judeo Christian tradtions is also "against" homosexuality. I see more of a historical significance to the anti-homosexual undertones in most modern religions considering the ancient greek and roman socities and their tendency to conquer. One should respect the laws of any given country, regardless if you hold contrary beliefs especially considering you are a guest.

I think the problem Sonyab , and thus the source of the anger and sarcasm, is the fact that this supposed leader used stereotypes to roll out his rules. So if you are gay you are automatically inclined to have sex in pubic, at soccer matches no less? Really?

His country has an alcohol ban. That's fine, it's there prerogative and if you are going to go there you have to follow it, not ask them to change for your one time sporting event. His whole demeanor is one of ignorance, not understanding. If you want people to respect you, your country, and its rules and laws, know who you speak to and learn how to do that respectfully. He certainly failed on that front.

I did not watch the presentation, so I was not speaking from that point of view. Certainly how one presents their material will influence how it is perceived.

btw this totally ruins my plan to go to Qater in 2022 in my favorite pair of assless chaps and get shitfaced drunk. I am a westerner and we do loves our public sexing! *takes a swig of his Johnny Walker Red*

david-lee-roth-assless-chaps.jpg

...sorry I tried to contain the sarcasm but I just couldn't do it!

and usually, I would agree with you. However in this case, they are hosting an event that attracts thousands of people from all over the world. now to want to host it, and then to set ground rules like this for the international community and expect the world cup to be as good as any other is insane. To expect people not to have an issue with something like this is crazy.

I would point out that tolerance will never be achieved if we continue to live in isolation from one another. The fact that the country wishes to host an event that will flood their country with outsiders is commendable. The influence will flow both ways. The more interaction that society has with outsiders, the more open to change they will become. As a Native American, my views on Guest Rights are vastly different--to offend your host is unforgivable--so my views on the situation will be different.

I would point out that tolerance will never be achieved if we continue to live in isolation from one another. The fact that the country wishes to host an event that will flood their country with outsiders is commendable. The influence will flow both ways. The more interaction that society has with outsiders, the more open to change they will become. As a Native American, my views on Guest Rights are vastly different--to offend your host is unforgivable--so my views on the situation will be different.

I think American views on this in general are screwed up. We think as guests that we have free rein to do anything. I agree that the guest should show the utmost respect for the hosts. Eastern cultures have this viewpoint and its one we could all benefit more from. The big problem is a lack of humility in general from both people and from some cultures.

Respect doesn't imply that you agree.

It's not about agreeing, it's about a simple truth that respect can only truly be acheived when all parties are being treated fairly, humanely. If this is not the case, one side is unbalanced and thus not being respected, truthfully.

If Western Civilization is perceived as arrogant for more readily recognizing this, then so be it. Sadly, I sort of doubt that this is the case, and it is simply arrogance and an "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude being waved around in an incredulous manner, like the assholes most americans are.

Well, being straight I guess I have nothing to worry about. The real downer for me is that if the World Cup comes to China I won't be able to reincarnate.

It would seem that Qatar's laws are equally tolerant of homosexual activity as homosexuals are tolerant of Qatar's laws.

Either side's claims to be champions of tolerance are ridiculous.

I always knew soccer was gay *rimshot*

I think both the east and west have things that they could, and should learn from one another.

I'm Australian, and very very glad that I am so. I'm glad that I come from a country where my gay friends are treated with the respect and mostly the equality they deserve, though of course I wish they could get married like normal couples do.

I've visited some eastern countries, and was treated incredibly poorly in most of them because I was a disabled person who dared to go places without a sighted companion. I think the western world is more readily accepting of people and what they can achieve in spite of their gender, sexuality or disability.

However Westerners, for the most part, while they speak about tolerance and equality aren't very tollerant when it comes to cultures vastly different to their own, but at the same time, I know some eastern cultures that are intollerant too...